VMU dead?

I am changing the Dreamcast Main LED to Blue and was able to salvage the red LED from the dreamcast and had it hooked up to the.

I was taking the the red LED from the Dreamcast to do a VMU mod. The one where you make a light come out the top of your VMU.

Well anyways, i was actually doing a good job. I got it all soldered up and i tested it out and the thing lit. The only thing was the wire was too short so i had to resolder. Too much solder got all across the pins on the VMU. I don't have a desolder tool (frickin expensive) and something very interesting happened.

It became a killing machine :lol: ! When i put it in a contoller it blew the F1 Resistor on the dreamcast controller board. I didn't realize it was the VMU so i replaced the controller board and it worked fine but as soon as i put in the vmu BOOM DEAD. Keep in mind i didn't have the LED connected at this time.

I've ordered some 10 oHm resistors to fix the controller boards. Shouldn't be any troubles fixing those up.

So is there any hope? i'd rather not just throw away a VMU. And I was really proud of my mod. I even had a 42 oHm (too much?) resistor to keep the LED from sucking too much power (devcast said it won't save with too much power taking up).

If i can find a desolder tool, maybe it'll fix it? Cause the only thing i can see that would cause it is the solder in between the pins. i have ni idea why it would do that. Maybe someone knows?

hehhe it's kinda funny.

Rather than a solder sucker, get some de-soldering braid instead. Using a solder sucker may damage the VMU as they can suck up parts of PCB tracks along with the solder.

The VMU might work after you remove the solder - there's no real way of telling until you try.

Back