Want to get into a comic book or 2, need help

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
So I am looking for a comic book subscription to get for someone who knows almost nothing about them other then reading them

1. Where is a good place to get a subscription from on the net?

2. Recommend me a comic that is based off the supernatural/sci-fi

Figuring I'm probably the biggest comic geek on these here forums, I'm sure I can hook you up. (Currently down to about $75 a month, from just over $240 a month three years ago.)

However, I need to know more about what kind of reader this is for. Approximate age, other interests, what kind of sci-fi, etc.

The only comics I tend to read are manga. I'm currently heavily addicted to berserk. Can't wait for volume 28 to come out this week. I wouldn't recomend it for you unless you can handle severe violence =P

Knowing you, I'd say maybe check out some of the titles from Devil's Due. They currently have the licenses for GI Joe and Voltron, in addition to quite a few excellent titles of their own. They're also in the lead to pick up the license for Transformers, now that Dreamwave has folded. Unfortunately, you might have to *GASP* go to an actual comic book store to buy their books.

As for stuff from the "Big Two" that can be subscribed to...

Well, I'm sure if you were interested in Batman or Superman, you wouldn't be asking for suggestions (though the Batman books have been top-notch the last few years). However, DC does have one title under their VERTIGO (no relation) line that you might get a kick out of. FABLES is the story of the characters from all the classics being forced to live in today's world. See, they were forced out of their homelands by the evil Adversary and had to take refuge in our world. They're split between Fabletown, located inside New York City, and the Farm, located upstate, where all the non-human appearing Fables can live away from Muny eyes. Prince Charming recently won the election for mayor, defeating the long-standing King Cole. Snow White gave birth to a litter of cubs, with Bigby (Big B.) Wolf as the father.

As for Marvel... Any of the Ultimate books are easy to get into, as they have a clean history. You don't need to read 40 years of continuity to get going with them, whatever you need to know is on the first page in the recap. Babylon 5's J. Michael Strazynski will soon become the writer of the Fantastic Four (regular universe, not the Ultimate title). And Brian Bendis just relaunched Avengers (as New Avengers) with a fresh storyline (though it still links to 40+ years of back story, it is clear enough that a new reader can approach it).

Realisticaly, though, you need to go to a comic shop and try out a few titles. Most comic shops will set up a subscription service, where they pull whichever titles you want for you and you just stop in every so often to pick them up. Some stores will even give you a discount if you use their pull service. There's such a wide variety out there, from Image, Oni, Dark Horse, NBM, IDW... The small press and indie scene is stronger than its been in a long time.

Also, hey, only 68 more days until FREE COMIC BOOK DAY arrives again!!!

Back