Ways to avoid reinstalling Windows

Taelon

Established Member
I have Windows 98 SE installed on an old, aging computer (AMD K6-2). I might be buying a faster one (an used Athlon 1GHz or something) next year and wonder if it's possible to simply copy my entire harddisk contents to the new machine and let Windows re-detect all hardware devices from scratch: the motherboard, CPU, BIOS, sound, video, IDE, USB, everything. That way, I would never have to reinstall Windows, retweak my preferred settings and reinstall all of my apps as well - only minor adjustments here and there would be left.

The theory is, as someone told me a while ago, that you delete a subset of Registry keys that have to do with device enumeration, then shut down Windows.

Once I'd have my harddisk in another machine, or my existing one upgraded to a different mobo/CPU, or what have you, I would restart Windows and it would redetect everything and install the proper support for all new/changed devices.

Is this indeed possible? Which Registry keys are the ones that I would have to delete? What do you people know about this that might help me?

Right now this is just idle consideration. I won't be able to get a new computer for months, but I'm very curious anyhow.

You'd be better off just reinstalling from scratch. Windows does ALOT of customization at setup that it never does again afterwards. While transfering everthing MIGHT work, you'd probably spend all your time swearing and cursing as half of everything doesn't work properly or fucks up in some way.

Yeah, I hate reinstalling Windows too. When my old motherboard died I just plugged in the new one. It detected everything fine and it's still working 'til today. I just hate having to reinstall everything over again. But I plan on doing it soon since things are starting to get a little f'ed. One thing I do is rename my C:\WINDOWS directory to C:\OLDWIN, and rename the WIN.COM to WIN.OLD. Then I reinstall Windows. If the new installation screws up for some reason, I can delete C:\WINDOWS and rename the old stuff back to its original name. I hold on to the OLDWIN dir for a while to make sure everything's okay, then delete it. Now that I have CDR capabilities I'll probably back everything up before I do, to make extra sure.

This is all assuming you have the HD space for two Windows directories, of course.

I haven't tried this b4, but it is possible to clone your harddrive contents to another computer first...

Give Norton Ghost 2k3 a whirl.

JCTango

true story computer ran on a cele 550 popped hd out and tossed the hd into a via c3 800*what the fook was i thinking (hits himself)* and it booted just fine needed driver discs and disabled the old hardware is all. win98se(remember the first 98 is garbage) is a great OS so flexible. even win2k pro heh amd k6-2 500 over to the via box the only thing that was the same was the hd and it booted and poof it started up but its a little buggy.

remember the first 98 is garbage

I've heard both sides of that. Some think SE is worse that the original. Then again, almost every software upgrade has people claiming the earlier versions are better (take ZoneAlarm or Winamp for example).

even win2k pro

I've also heard that you have to reinstall Win2k after installing a new motherboard and/or processor. Something about how it's setup. Not sure if that's true, but that's what I heard anyway. Cuz I'm not sure what you're trying to say here...

I've heard both sides of that. Some think SE is worse that the original. Then again, almost every software upgrade has people claiming the earlier versions are better (take ZoneAlarm or Winamp for example).

Windows 98 4.10.1998 works fine. some BSoD problems, but if you watch what you use, and stop blaming Microsoft for every little problem, and look at the programs themselves, you'll be fine.

even win2k pro

I've also heard that you have to reinstall Win2k after installing a new motherboard and/or processor. Something about how it's setup. Not sure if that's true, but that's what I heard anyway. Cuz I'm not sure what you're trying to say here...

nah, that's XP, it's copy protection. change 4-6 parts OR just your Motherboard, within 90 days, and you have to call MS, as they fear you are trying to install the same copy on multiple machines, without buying the family license.

now, before you rant, remember that all versions of Windows have been illegal to use on 2 computers at the same time. 1 legitimate copy of Windows per computer, not per person.

good Idea, bad execution, for the Copy Protection.

Well, before you guys trail off discussing Windows and copy protection and whatnot...

Seems that at least some of you think that Win98SE will do fine after a motherboard replacement or HD transfer to a new computer. Suppose I were to simply remove the entire "System" tab in Device Manager, then shut down Windows, swap out the mobo and restart? Assuming that all the audio, video, harddisks, CDRW, etc. stay the same that should work, right? Then again, all the IRQs and stuff would change so Windows would want to reinstall drivers anyway.

So, maybe I'll try this next year...a simple mobo swapout... Byebye, K6-2, hello Athlon (or Duron).

Thanks everybody for your responses...

Originally posted by Quadriflax@Dec. 13 2002, 10:42 pm

even win2k pro

I used both versions of Win98 extensively and didn't really notice a difference stability wise.

Originally posted by Taelon@Dec. 14 2002, 11:27 am

Well, before you guys trail off discussing Windows and copy protection and whatnot...

Seems that at least some of you think that Win98SE will do fine after a motherboard replacement or HD transfer to a new computer. Suppose I were to simply remove the entire "System" tab in Device Manager, then shut down Windows, swap out the mobo and restart? Assuming that all the audio, video, harddisks, CDRW, etc. stay the same that should work, right? Then again, all the IRQs and stuff would change so Windows would want to reinstall drivers anyway.

So, maybe I'll try this next year...a simple mobo swapout... Byebye, K6-2, hello Athlon (or Duron).

Thanks everybody for your responses...

as gameboy originally said, you would be far better off starting from scratch, since it depends on your exact configuration as to what you can get away with and what you cant

if you find setting up windows is a pain, take one of the 2 following options

1) upgrade to with 2k or another nt family product, since they are alot more stable and reliable

2) setup your pc as you would from scratch, and use norton ghost to save the entire hd image

you will find the pc will work alot better with a fresh windows installation than it will using one from another pc anyway, so youd be better off with a new install (you also lose all the unecessary crap which was on the old pc hard disk)

or just set up your old hardrive as d:slave drive thats the easiest thing to do
tongue.gif

yeah thats common sense but nobody else stted it .

Like everybody else stated I believe windows will not automatically detect all of your hardware properly .

Back