What are other gorgeous 2D Saturn games ?

I love Saturn for its 2D capabilities, and some games really have a poetic feeling, and I love them all :

- Astal (highly underrated game IMHO)

- Princess Crown (I want it in english :sigh)

- Psychik Assassin Taromaru (unique dark feeling)

- Mr Bones (the platfrom levels are gorgeous)

I'm looking for other 2D gems in medieval imaginary worlds... Do you know any ?

(Don't tell me Guardian Heroes, it's a gem but not for the graphics ;) )

Edit : Don't tell me Metal Slug it's a graphic gem but not "poetic"

Thanks !

Djidjo

Sol Divide...blech.. that game is terrible! I guess it looks kind of OK though. I would highly recommend Sengoku Blade over that pile though.

Legend of Oasis looks pretty good, but that's the only 2d saturn game i have, so i don't know what to measure it against.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Dec 9, 2003 @ 05:21 PM

Metal Slug

He specifically said no metal slug ^_^; Though yes, it is a great looking game. =)

Um... I echo Megaman X4, that game looks very nice on the Saturn. Um.. Magic Knight Rayearth looks quite nice, too...

- Magic Knight Rayearth

- Cotton 2

- Cotton Boomerang (Cotton 2 remake, with less slowdown, revamped gameplay and TONS of transparencies)

- Dracula X

- Street Fighter Zero 3

- Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystaria

- Nanatsu Kaze No Shima Monogatari (one of the best 2D I *EVER* saw in the saturn! Full painted backgrounds, with morphing animations, and interesting graphic style - BTW, it's an Enix game)

- Radiant Silvergun (well, if you consider Taromaru to be 2D graphics, then RSG should be in the list too).

There also an action RPG I just saw briefly... but that looked darn good. It was a kid with a tail, and had some fine animation and good looking trees. I think it was Farland Saga or something...

Oh oh oh ! I was sure I'd get plenty of replies with most of them out of what I was asking... :rolleyes:

Capcom fighters and shooters are not medieval (except Cotton games) and have no "poetic" atmosphere, don't you think ? ;) Well thanks anyway for all your replies.

why not skeleton warriors ?

I have it and I like it, but graphics are not that great (but it's in the scope of the game style I'm looking for)

Sol Divide

Thanks for this one ! I knew it, I have the arcade version and got a bad Saturn rip from an FTP server :/

Akumajo Dorakura ~ Gekka no Yasoukyoku

Nanatsu Kaze No Shima Monogatari

I'd like to have more info on these 2 games if you don't mind.

Thanks !

Djidjo

Originally posted by Djidjo@Dec 10, 2003 @ 10:25 AM

Akumajo Dorakura ~ Gekka no Yasoukyoku

Nanatsu Kaze No Shima Monogatari

I'd like to have more info on these 2 games if you don't mind.

Thanks !

Djidjo

Akumajo Dorakura ~ Gekka no Yasoukyoku is the kana/kanji name for DraculaX ~ Nocturne in the Moonlight (good 'ol Castlevania: SOTN).

Nanatsu Kaze is... weird, and looks very good. Gotta take some time to play further into it, but it requires havy Japanese or some damn good blind luck :p

Thankfully there is a translation guide at gamefaqs.

I saw screens of it in some site... can't remember where. Anyway, I'll see if any of the emulators can boot this game and take some screenies.

It uses a nice trick for animating the background (that is hand-made, BTW). The BG has 3 frames, and the game alpha blends between them in sequence, so the whole scenery seems to be alive, with waving leaves and such. I don't think I saw any other 2D game, in any system, use such trick.

Back