What are your favorite quotes?

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
Post your favorite quotes and who said them!

Better to fight for something than live for nothing. --George S. Patton

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. --George S. Patton

The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. --Benjamin Franklin

A scientist can discover a new star, but he cannot make one. He would have to ask an engineer to do that. --Gordon L. Glegg

From the Matrix:

[Neo walks through a metal detector in the lobby and is approached by a security guard after it goes off]

Security guard: Could you please remove any metallic items you may be carrying, keys, loose change...

[Neo opens his trench coat to reveal dozens of guns underneath]

Security guard: Holy shit!

[Neo knocks the guard down and shoots the other guards]

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." —President George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

A couple random ones:

Originally posted by Edsger Dijkstra+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Edsger Dijkstra)</div><div class='quotemain'>The Fathers of the field had been pretty confusing: John von Neumann speculated about computers and the human brain in analogies sufficiently wild to be worthy of a medieval thinker and Alan M. Turing thought about criteria to settle the question of whether Machines Can Think, a question of which we now know that it is about as relevant as the question of whether Submarines Can Swim.[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Linus Torvalds

Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)[/quote]

"Mom, Dad, I missed you. Cowabunga, dudes!" - Hans Moleman

"...Brannigan's Law is like Brannigan's love - hard and fast." - Zapp Brannigan

"...I did make it with a hot alien babe. And in the end, is that not what man has dreamt of since first he looked up at the stars?..." - Zapp Brannigan

""wasn't this already done?" - joe81, a little while ago, 2005." - Curtis from a little while ago

If you can't fly, then run, if you can't run, then walk, if you can't walk, then crawl, but whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.
(Martin Luther King Jr.)

Back