What burn speed is best for games?

I'm wondering if there is an optimal burn speed for burning games? I heard that some systems won't read a CD that is burned above 4x. I'm only interested in which speed is least error-prone, because I just burned a copy of Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, and Magic Engine reports a Disk Error. Should I use a burning program other than FireBurner?

Thanks!

I burn at 16X with Nero and NTI CD Maker 2000 Pro and never have any problems other than human error
smile.gif

I have never used Fireburner so I can't tell you if it's a good program to use or not.

I use Easy CD Pro 95 for my burning, and I haven't had any problems.

I usually burn my discs at 2x speed to be safe, but on my Mega CD I have used 4x sucessfully.

If you are having problems burning I would check the files to make sure they are in good shape.

If everything checks out, try burning at a slower speed than you used before.

Another thing that I should mention is that some systems don't like certain brands of CDR's, so you may want to try a different brand if the above doesn't help.

Hope this helps

usually the slower the better. the faster you burn, the less accurate and more "blurry" the pits will be. just try out what works for you.

Overall burn quality depends on several factors, each equally important:

- The quality/condition of the media (and probably dye type for really old burners)

- The quality/condition of the burner

- The burn speed

If at least two of these factors is favorable, you'll probably end up with a good burn.

The final word with burning: experiment. Figure out what works well with your equipment and stick with it. As Arakon said, slower burn speeds are usually better (there are exceptions, but the only well-known instance I've heard of is in a rather old burner, and only at a specific speed), and you should really ask yourself if you really have to have that disc done in 5 minutes instead of 20. If you're feeling impatient, you could always fire up a game.
biggrin.gif

Back