what can my sega cdx do?

i know it can play genesis and sega cd games, but can it play 32x games without the 32x expansion? someone on eBay said it could without the expansion.

and my friend was telling me about this combo system JVC, JCV or something that is a sega genesis and sega cd combined together in one unit, what is it and what's its name

cdx1.jpg

CDX Info

I don't believe it can play 32x games, at least not without taking a hacksaw to it. also, certain games just have serious problems with it.

Originally posted by majjicgnome@June 20 2002,20:24

i know it can play genesis and sega cd games, but can it play 32x games without the 32x expansion? someone on eBay said it could without the expansion.

and my friend was telling me about this combo system JVC, JCV or something that is a sega genesis and sega cd combined together in one unit, what is it and what's its name

IT was called the x'eye. It was made by jvc and it was also a karioke machine with microphone plugin. It was very rare when it was new an is even harder to find now.

I don'tthink the cdx can play 32x games wouthout the actualy 32x add-on

Well, it's easy for confusion to arise in cases like these. For the record, CDX does not have a built-in ability to play 32X games. There were rumors at one time that Sega was working on an integrated Genesis+SCD+32X (this was the "Neptune" project, IIRC), but CDX is not it.

According to many reports, CDX is compatible with 32X. Sega claimed otherwise, allegedly due to FCC regulations forbidding the setup. It's also been said that the weight of the 32X can wear out the cartridge slot in the CDX unless it's supported against the case by some kind of spacer.

Yes the 32x add on works with the cdx. The FCC reason that sega did not publish this is that with processors that close together there would, in the FCC's opinion, be some sort of heat problem. The cartrige slot will not wear out it is just that the 32x was never ment to mount on a cdx so it sits rather funny and won't let you open the cd door.

The cartrige slot will not wear out

Although I have no personal experience with this, I've heard of it happening, and I suspect that unless the 32X is properly supported by the case when it's inserted, it's likely that it could cause cart slot wear. Here's my thinking: the 32x normally either fits flush against the Genesis case or a spacer fills the space between so that the effect is essentially the same. The 32X is top-heavy, so if it's unsupported, it's likely to tilt to one side (front/back), which would exert horizontal pressure on the pins of the cart slot and could thus bend them out of shape.

the 32X works fine int he CDX, and there won't be game problems, you won't be able to open the CD case while the CDX is inserted though. Sega neptune=32x+genesis, no sega CD..., it may mount on the Sega CD unit though. I'd show a pic of the neptune, but don't wanna up it to a site. However, sega doesn't recommend this since it can cause the CDX to overheat after EXTENDED gameplay, but if u play for a little while, no problems should occur.

x-eyes are fairly easy to find on ebay and cost considerably less than a CDX. been wanting to get both myself since they are the only 2 "genny generation" systems i need for my SEGA collection.

would have been neat if the neptune was actually released
sad.gif
that would look so cool with an original front loading sega cd under it
smile.gif

I fully agree Dyne, I have the model 1 system and model 1 cd system and the 32x on top...and man, 3 power supplys for 1 system is kinda much....but still cool...and in my manual of the 32x it states it does indeed work with the different models of sega units (1,2, and cdx) you just needed to buy the proper spacers (sold seperately), and just incase you wanted to know....It doesnt fit in the Pioneer LA unit
sad.gif
I might need to cut it up to get it to fit, but then I will need to somehow get to the control pads also....
sad.gif

My friend had a cdx and a 32x. He never had any problems, I think he said he may have used a few textbooks or something to kind of give the 32x stability when it was plugged into the CDX. As far as the cartridge slot wearing out on the CDX, it was pretty much non existent, I know that for a fact because I ended up buying the CDX from him, and there was no noticable wear on it at all.

Originally posted by DoughBoy@June 27 2002, 6:02 pm

Sega neptune=32x+genesis, no sega CD..., it may mount on the Sega CD unit though.

No, the Neptune would have been all three. Pity, I'd have bought one. It's just that most other people wouldn't have.

Back