What pop-up blocker do you use?

Yo, I was wondering what you guys use to block pop-up ads. I'm using The Proximitron but it's too advanced and it's blocking things that I want to see. All I really want is to stop pop-up windows and those confirmation messages to install spyware programs from Gator and others.

Me too, heh. But if you insist on using IE, the Google Toolbar is supposed to be good.

BTW, you can turn off the install software option in the security settings.

I use Mozilla Firefox. Now I can browse me some rom sites without popups telling me that I can enlarge my penis by 4 inches (which would just be overkill).

Yeah, i was on my friends machine and he had IE and I was trying to find a good source of... well it's not important but it was shadier stuff and i totally forgot that shady sites had popups because I just hadn't seen them in so long.

Seriously, if you want to get rid of popups, firefox is the way to be.

And Google toolbar basically eliminates them for me completely in IE. So in that respect both work fine. The thing about the Google toolbar is that it lets you allow popups for specific sites, just in case you actually wanted them for some useful purpose.

The thing about the Google toolbar is that it lets you allow popups for specific sites, just in case you actually wanted them for some useful purpose.

Mozilla Navigator/Firefox have this too.

With Google toolbar pop up blocker some still open. In Mozilla´s browers it just doesn´t happen

Actually, it can happen with some nasty Flash tricks, but I run into maybe one of those every 2 months. It's jarring.

I recommend the 'Flash Click to View' and 'Adblock' extensions for Firebird, I use those in conjunction with the built-in popup blocker, and it pretty much covers all bases. There is a certain method out there that can detect the Moz popup-blocker (and others) and refuse to serve you the page if it finds it, but so far I've only seen it as a proof-of-concept.

Yes those two extensions are really usefull, specially "Flash Click to View" some Flash animations can be really annoying :flamethrower: , Adblock is nice but still needs alot of work its very user dependent it should autodetect the ads and block them :) .

Yeah, but once you get the ads nailed down on your favorite sites, you're pretty much set. You can also d/l some nice custom lists that people have made.

Back