What system is better?

True that. Just to put my two cents in, the PS2 truly is better from a technical standpoint (in most cases), but from a 'what games will Sony allow to be released in the West/what are the best games on the system' standpoint, PS2 suxxors.

Oye, these types of threads are always circular. You'll get someone who takes the other side out of spite (or simply just because they have that opinion) and then goes the argument about which is better based on nebulous 'hardware specs'. Ultimately you either like particular games or you're 'not a true gamer/a retard'. etc. etc.

That being said, I don't particularly care. There are games I like on both systems, but it so happens that I have two dreamcasts and no ps2s. Go figure.

for some reason, and I don't really know why, the PS/PS2 have never appealed to me. Yes, I have liked a few games on the systems but I was never in that "moment" with that system. On the genesis, we had games like SitD, Sonic, etc. that gave you that REAL good feeling inside. On the N64, it was the first time you played Mario64, or Zelda: OOT. It's hard to describe the feeling, but I am sure all of you know what I am talking about.

This feelig I have never got from ANY PS game. I have heard that FF7 will give you this feeling, but I have yet to play more than about 15min of it, so I can't say anything there. I think the reason I dont get this feeling w/ any PS games is the fact that I dispise the controller in all it's uncomfortable-ness and more importantly none of the games are new. All the games are just re-hashed re-hashe it seems like. Ya, some of the games are fun, but I am at the point where I just dont get excited over another FF game, another Tony Hawk, another NBA/NFL street, etc. It seems like I have been playing the same damn games on the system for the last 6-7 years. Does anybody else feel this way? or am I the only one who doesn't get that "feeling" from any of the PS/PS2 games?

I like some PSX games -- Square and Konami games I can't play elsewhere. But I just play them on ePSXe. I just can't bring myself to buy a Sony machine. I've discussed this before, but I just have not had good experiences with Sony hardware and I haven't heard good things about the systems physically. Besides, ePSXe provides a better gaming experience for me.

Originally posted by racketboy@Apr 5, 2004 @ 10:14 PM

've discussed this before, but I just have not had good experiences with Sony hardware and I haven't heard good things about the systems physically.

I can't agree more. I'm on my fourth playstation machine, and now I need to turn it on its side to get it to work.

It's aggravating, because I take extra special care of these stupid machines, whereas my Saturn, in its '97 glory, has traveled to four different states and countless parties, and has been abused quite a bit, but plays as well as the day I bought it. Well, not 100%, the memory card needs to be pulled up a bit, but that's it! My SegaCD (Model2), Genesis (model1, bought new in '91) and 32X all work very well too.

Maybe it's just my luck. Before anyone gives me grief about brownouts, surge protectors and the like, all I have to say is all my audio visual stuff (amplifier, TV, VCR, DVD) and my dreamcast are hooked up to the same surge protector. They've had no problems.

Incidentally, an employee at EB told me how he's already gone through seven systems.

That being said, I do have a PS. And I concur with Jamz as well, about the 'feeling'. I got it playing Mario64 for the first time (I didn't think Zelda was all that great, but that's just me). Maybe I don't have enough games/the right games. I've played about 20 minutes of FFVII, but I think that there's a long setup or something.

That's not to say all DC games are awesome, since I still haven't had enough interest in the legendary Shenmue to play it, even though I own it. But there may be an issue that because PS was mainstream, there was/is a lot more crap titles than DC, of which most were made by Sega, and had to be better just to stay afloat. Kind of like Nintendo, and Atari (man were there some terrible games for those systems!). Same goes for the Genesis.

Originally posted by Supergrom@Apr 6, 2004 @ 01:23 AM

in defense of the PS/2, I've got that "feeling" playing castlevania on the PS1, as well as MGS 1 and 2

Castlevania: SOTN is an excellent game, I will admit. Not my thing, but still a great game. I've yet to play MGS, and on that vote of confidence I might just buy it. :)

Regarding PlayStation2 games that provide that "feeling", I can list a few, for example, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Anubis - Zone of the Enders, Silent Hill 2, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2 (I actually believe I am sexually attracted to the artistic beauty of this game), REZ, ICO, and many others.

Oh, and considering "re-hashes", if you see it like that, that is what keeps Nintendo alive, sequels of old old old games.

~des-row, i thought u were sexually attached to me.....

Ne way, yea. I just bought Ikaruga today. and I got that "feeling" -

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Apr 6, 2004 @ 05:28 PM

Regarding PlayStation2 games that provide that "feeling", I can list a few, for example, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Anubis - Zone of the Enders, Silent Hill 2, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2 (I actually believe I am sexually attracted to the artistic beauty of this game), REZ, ICO, and many others.

Oh, and considering "re-hashes", if you see it like that, that is what keeps Nintendo alive, sequels of old old old games.

REZ is from SEGA also on DREAMCAST , Final Fantasy title 2.347.578 (Booooooooooring!!) and Metal gear solid 2: are you kidding? The PS2 has good games but not that pap.. Dreamcast :flamethrower: the ps2 :thumbs-up:

See, there's other fanboys /girls here..

Originally posted by muffinman943@Apr 6, 2004 @ 10:48 PM

~des-row, i thought u were sexually attached to me.....

Ne way, yea. I just bought Ikaruga today. and I got that "feeling" -

Does that mean that you equate sex with frustration?

Just because they are sequels doesn't mean they are re-hashed. Is the first Zelda and OOT similar? Not very much. Yes, MSG is a great game, but it isn't like "OMG! I nut my pants" like Mario was back in the day. Mario was insanely ground breaking stuff...noone had ever experienced such a thing before, and I think that's why the 64 did so well in it's early years.

To each their own I guess. If you find FFX and X-2 to be some of the best RPGs out there, so be it....I am sure there are plenty of 12yr olds that think the same :).

BTW, I dont think any of the new consoles really have much appeal. Is it just me or is the VG industry kinda at a stand still? and has been for a good 4 years.....Maybe it's just cuz I am older now, but the new games do nothing for me. I always find myself going back to the old classics and replaying those rather than playing some new FF34 1/2. Maybe the industry knows this and that's why they are releasing sequels of games that shouldn't have em.......

I agree there isn't a whole lot of the new stuff to compel me to buy a new system. The games that do are mostly because of hype. But once I think about if I REALLY think I'll like it, it's not that big of a deal. Or if I play a demo usually I'll get bored quick.

Back