Whats the best cdr's to use for a sega saturn ?

I have been burning sega saturn games with different media some seem ok others not so good.. i was wondering what you guys think is hte best media ?

Based on everything I've heard and bits of my own experience, the Saturn seems to be pretty tolerant as long as the media you're using isn't really crap. However, your chances of smooth operation would be enhanced by using 74-minute discs. I know these aren't as easy to find now, but 80-minute discs don't get their extra capacity without a drawback - they're harder for readers to track. It's also a good idea to get discs made by a respected manufacturer (Taiyo Yuden, TDK, Kodak, Mitsui). A good burner helps too, and with prices constantly falling there's really no good reason to go with a cheaper brand unless you really need a burner right away to meet some critical deadline. A quality burner will improve your experience with all media.

It's also best not to burn the CDs at too high a speed.

I use TDKs at 4x and have never had a bad burn.

Buffer under run yes, bad burn no.

I can't say I've had any problems with 80 min media. I use Imation or BASF/Whateveritscalledthesedays both with no problems. A good burner is more important than the type of CDR media you use.

I use only CompUSA discs because I'm cheap like that. But for $13 you can snag a 50x stack of Black 80 min CD-R's (like what playstation games are made on) that are burnable up to 16x (though going over 4x is bad karma
wink.gif
). They all work perfectly. I also use the CD-R's in my Neo-Geo CD system and they're great there too. I've found them to be ncredibly reliable, durable (really strong, they don't snap like cheap Imation discs), and just all around excellent.

I use the CompUSA 27 min Black CD-R's in my mavica camera too and they're quite badass there as well
smile.gif

Just a warning.

Never burn in Phillips media!

I tried to burn Shining Force Premium Disk and it was terrible mistake.

The screen freezes everytime and music seems a little strange.

You might want to avoid Grundigs as well. I had some a while ago.

They were fine in a PC, but the audio and FMV 'stuttered' badly when used in a Saturn.

I'Ve used noname see-through crap blanks for saturn and they worked perfectly fine. I haven't come across any that did not work.

The only cdr's i've had slight problems with on my Saturn was Sonys. The game worked fine, but the loading times were longer then they were on Verbatim or Cursor CDRs.

I've solely used Taiyo Yuden made discs for many years now and not one has ever failed on me.
smile.gif

I've had good luck with alot of brands, but amazingly the ones I've used with the most success was the 80min "Durabrand" discs I got at wal mart.
smile.gif

Out of all the brands I've tried, TDK was actually my least favorite, mainly because it costs so much for a 3-pack.

In my experience burn speed is the most important thing.

I've never done any Saturn games (I don't like to swap), but if saturn is like my 3DO or Mega CD it should work just fine.
cool.gif

Of course A good burner couldn't hurt either
biggrin.gif

Taiyo Yuden discs are nice, quality discs. Discs manufactured by Taiyo Yuden are usually purchased by other companies to sell as their own. Fujifilm discs are from Taiyo Yuden, and I've been using them for burning everything.

A lot depends on the type of burner, I have a 12x Scsi Plextor and I burn all my games at 12x all my systems can read them just fine expect for my orginal launch PlayStation (the one with the I/O on the power button) But the little PsOne reads 12x copies just fine. It's funny that a almost 10 year old Sega CD could read 12x copies but the orginal Playstations coulden't. Just shows how cheap Sony products are, like the "disk read error" on the new Ps2's.

Ive used Imations mostly, but I get whatever's on sale. You can easily find a 50pack for 4.99 if you live in the US near comp usa, bestbuy, or circuit city. The only thing to be carefull about is how you store and treat your discs.

The cheaper ones have thinner coatings around thier edges, and after a few years might start to corrode from the inside out! If you see a spot forming on one of your CDR's, althought its rare, just make a back up copy of it and toss the original when it gets unreadable.

And if you store them in a huge CD wallet, be carefull of scratches. A deep gash on a thinner coating, if it gets to the metallic platter, will start it to corrode and eventually ruin the entire CDR. Its just a matter of noticing in time and making another copy.

But the most important piece of advice I can give you is:

Don't let people borrow your CDs unless you have another copy, or you don't care if it gets scratched to hell and ruined. I've only met one other person in my life who knows how to take care of CD's as well as me.

I always use TDK 80 Min media, I go at 4x on my Lite-On 12x burner. TDK's are pretty cheap (well... a 100 pack at costco with the $20 rebate is
tongue.gif
). I usually try burning again at 1x if it doesn't work the first time at 4x. Oh and cd sleeves.... they're horrible, my import version of PDS has all this white gunk on it now because I left it in sleeves for a while. Well... it's still playable, just that the bottom is freaking ugly.

In my personal experience, I find that these discs work great:

Imation

Infinity

Sony

TDK

Print on CD's (the ones with the silver on both sides, but can only be written on one side)

Colour Media CD's

Mr. DATA

Ricoh Media

And these are just plain crappy:

Vivastar 80 min (once written on, they work fine, but three weeks later, they dont work for some strange reason)

Philips Media

Yamaha

Colour MediaCD's, Red and Blue

I prefer to use 'Imation' brand CDR's myself, they are VERY cheap (£15 for 50, or £21 for 100) and work VERY well, with everything, Playstation, Saturn, PC, VCD, Dreamcast, etc.

The thing with CD-R brands is that most of them do not use the same manufacturer all the time. Thus, buying the same brand is not a guarantee of quality. Even TDK has sold discs made by Ritek as "TDK" discs. Other brands, such as Memorex and Imation, have switched to and from good manufacturers like Taiyo Yuden and TDK and so-so manufacturers like CMC Magnetics and Ritek.

FujiFilm CDRs seem to work wonders for me

you can find 100packs for as little as $21

they are good quality and even look nice

haveing a wirl of colors on top.

Back