What's this cartridge from?

I've attached an image of a Sega Saturn cartridge PCB. I ordered a set of these and will dump the ROMs when they arrive, but in the meantime would like to figure out what they are for.

The carts have one DIP 512Kx8 flash memory chip. This seems like an unusual choice considering all Sega Saturn cartridges I've looked at use QFP or SOIC mask ROMs exclusively. None of the flash chips have a Sega standard part number printed on the top or on the label, so maybe it's for 3rd party use?

I'd guess it's a data only cartridge. Given the small size, perhaps for an earlier Saturn game like Ultraman? Or did that game use a 1MB/2MB ROM cart?

EDIT:

I bet the test pads set the 8-bit cartridge ID number, which is gated by the 74LS244 onto the data bus when the ID area is read. The 74LS00 probably does the decoding between the ROM area and ID area. Well, 4 bits but I think all the ID's are spread across bits in a byte like $5A and $58.

Attachments

• satcart.jpg
    satcart.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 128
Ultraman uses a ROM cart. I own it, but I can't open the cart because I'm lacking the right screwdriver :(

But from the outside, the connector seems different from your picture.

Or perhaps some kind of development cart. It does seem rather odd. Though considering the copyright date on the PCB is 1994, it could be an early cart used for some kind of development, or maybe it was used to display some kind of demos to press or something.

The only two rom games I know of are Ultraman and KOF 95. And both of those used 2 MB carts.

EDIT:

Actually, if you're feeling adventurous, you -could- try hot-swapping between an AR cart and the cart and try dumping it that way. That's how I ended up dumping both KOF 95 and Ultraman for myself. Surprisingly, all carts used during that reckless experiment are still working, as is the saturn and PC used.

Cyber Warrior X

CyberWarriorX said:
Or perhaps some kind of development cart. It does seem rather odd. Though considering the copyright date on the PCB is 1994, it could be an early cart used for some kind of development, or maybe it was used to display some kind of demos to press or something.

I hadn't thought about it, but 1994 is rather early. I wonder if it's a dongle tied to specific software, or something for diagnostics. I think the Saturn BIOS doesn't configure the cartridge area of the A-Bus to 8-bit mode during startup, so I doubt it can be directly booted, though I certainly hope it can be.

I did notice that the type of memory used only has an endurace of 10K write cycles rather than the 100K+ you commonly see in flash memory used for data backup purposes. That doesn't disprove the idea that it's a backup memory cartridge, but it makes you wonder.

Actually, if you're feeling adventurous, you -could- try hot-swapping between an AR cart and the cart and try dumping it that way. That's how I ended up dumping both KOF 95 and Ultraman for myself. Surprisingly, all carts used during that reckless experiment are still working, as is the saturn and PC used.
I'd be more worried about killing the console than the cartridge! Also if it's an ST-V cartridge, there'd be pinout differences to consider. I had planned on desoldering the chip and reading it in a device programmer for starters.

What does the printed label say? (ソフ技管理物 Google-translates to "[sofu] skill management ones", where I assume "sofu" stands for software, but it's probably meant to make sense.)

I wouldn't read too much into the copyright date; the board itself could very well be some kind of generic layout meant for more than one actual product...

antime said:
What does the printed label say? (ソフ技管理物 Google-translates to "[sofu] skill management ones", where I assume "sofu" stands for software, but it's probably meant to make sense.)

I asked around and was told it's roughly equivalent to "this cart is under care of/property of software technical department". Sounds promising. :)

vbt said:
so what it was ?

Standard "Power Memory" cartridges, though with no cart shell and the weird stickers added. So ExCyber was right. :)

It was a good deal for a bunch of memory carts though.

Back