Xandros

Best File Explorer I have ever used for any OS

Windows connectivity is REALLY easy, plug n play actually via the network

Rock solid stability

Uses debian instead of the bulky rpm system

Darn fast

Slackware
cool.gif

All-round distro. It runs on low-end and high-end machines.. it's better for servers, but still good for a regular desktop.

May be a little hard for beginners, as install scripts don't do much, besides package installation and a few network and basic scripts everything else has to be done manually.

Screenshots please!
smile.gif

I guess I'd have to say Mandrake, as that's really the only one I've tried to use seriously. Then I got a headache while trying to install...umm.. the internet and I went back to Windows.

Originally posted by Resident_Lurker@Jun 22, 2003 @ 10:19 PM

Screenshots please!
smile.gif

I guess I'd have to say Mandrake, as that's really the only one I've tried to use seriously. Then I got a headache while trying to install...umm.. the internet and I went back to Windows.

slackware cuz it rocks, and lurker, the i am the cheese gif is better than that lame hef and whatevertheturtlewascalled one

Don't worry. I'll find something to replace it later, but I'm not going back to the gif. Plus, I thought Filburt and Heffer dressing up as Mr. Bighead was pretty funny.

On topic: err... why, I mean... I think Filburt would use Linux. And he'd use Mandrake because of its ease of use and installation and large software offerings and hardware copatibility.

I'm partial to Gentoo myself, mostly because it allows seamlessly running a combination of "stable" and "unstable" packages. I've used Slackware (3.x though, don't know what the newer stuff is like), Debian, and Mandrake as well.

Red Hat all the way baby, i love it. but the thing is that I need a faster PC to use it! bah... I heard Gentoo was nice but i have to download alot of stuff (no thanks) im on 56k... I havent tried SuSe,Slackware,Debian and i dont like mandrake .... i like red hat because it is clumsy and it has alot of programs ... <_< I want a Linux Distro that is FAST, PROFESSIONAL, LOTS LOTS LOTS of Programs, End extremely professional (twice, that is a MUST for me). and FAST on a 475mhz,192mb ram.
laugh.gif
damn.gif

I have some questions for you Linux users. I have the following systems:

Windows XP, Windows 98 SE, Mac OS X 10.2. Currently I am using Windows 2000 for my server. I do file and printer sharing. The box is a Pentium Pro 200 mHz with 128 MB of ram. I have them all connected behind a Linksys Wireless router. If I switch to Linux, which should I use? I have tried Red Hat 9.0, but I need a faster machine. I tried Slackware, newest vers, but I'm not a Linux pro. I also tried Mandrake 9.0, but I had a devil of a time getting Samba to work. I would like to use Linux, as Win 2000 is a resource hog.

I don't see how you could claim RedHat was too slow, unless you insisted on using Gnome or KDE. If you absolutely must use a graphical interface (hey, it's supposed to be a server, right?), install a lighter window manager like FVWM2 or IceWM. I can't remember if either comes with RedHat (I'm pretty sure FVWM2 was dropped a few releases ago), but you shouldn't have any trouble finding precompiled RPMs if you don't want to compile from source.

For me it's Suse distrib
smile.gif
I like to use Yast and didn't use a release over 5.0 because Linux became too easy ton configure, it's no more fun I loves my slackware which recognized only 2X CDROMs

I don't know enough about Linux to be comfortable using command line systems. I raised on GUI, and that's all I really know. I couldn't even get Red Hat 9 to load. It just continuosly rebooted. Mandrake was nice and easy to configure, but I messed with Samba for about a week before finally giving up.

Back