Where is Sega ?

vbt

Staff member
Xmas is coming soon and I can't find big or small Sega news. What are they doing ? :rant2:

Well they have an Aliens game up for release sometime soon, that new Football Mangaer Live/Online via their sports interactive studio. They also have LETS TAP in japan Via Prope Studio they also have games set for after christmas via their creative assemly stuido Empire Total War (February 6th 2009) Stormrise (TBA 2009).

But couldnt find much else.

Valkyria Chronicles (11/04/08 for US, PS3) released to great reviews in Japan

Golden Axe: Beast Rider, released everywhere though it was panned

Alpha Protocol (January 2009, 360, PS3)

Let's Tap (December 08 in Japan)

Yakuza 2 (last month everywhere); Yakuza 3 (sometime soon?)

Sonic Unleashed (11/14/08 for Europe, 11/18/08 for US, 12/08 for Japan)

Phantasy Star Portable: March '09 for US, already out in Japan

And we have Madworld, Sonic and the Black Knight, Yakuza 3, Bayonetta among others to wait on. They're keeping relatively busy. More importantly, they're releasing quality games unlike when they first became an independent developer. Outside of Golden Axe which was a failure to begin with (no multiplayer? why?!) all those games listed looks awesome.

All links are to game trailer videos.

I dunno, Sega's newer stuff doesn't seem all that interesting tbh.

Reminds me of the level of quality from THQ.

I'll have to disagree with you there, dibz, with the exception of Golden Axe which should've had multiplayer from the outset. Maybe up until Q4 last year that was the case, but they've really gotten their act together.

And, THQ is a publisher, not a developer.

Well, I admit some games look like they could be fun -- I'm just saying, at the same time they're not really exciting me either.

And to be fair, you should say THQ is a publisher only, Sega certainly is a publisher too -- they just make some of their own games as well.

For example, that new Golden Axe you mentioned was developed by Secret Level and published by Sega. ;)

Which is strange, since Secret Level did really well with Unreal on the Dreamcast. I always associated Secret Level with quality. Nuts to them, I suppose.

mtxblau said:
Which is strange, since Secret Level did really well with Unreal on the Dreamcast. I always associated Secret Level with quality. Nuts to them, I suppose.

Maybe you hit the nail on the head with that. Unreal was a port while the new Golden Axe wasn't. Guess they should stick to working with existing games?

Back