Which model Saturn is the most easy to mod?

Hey all

I recently had some bad luck with my current Saturn and I posted asking for help on here (http://forums.segaxtreme.net/index.php?showtopic=16472) got a few responses but didnt really help much :p

Anyways I dont think there is going to be a way to repair or fix my current Saturn so I'm on the hunt for a new Saturn and hopefully will be able to pick up one that is much easyer to mod and has been tested and tried many times.

The Saturn I currently have is a Sega Saturn PAL Model 2 MK-80200A-50 Sanyo Board after do a bit of research I find out that these models of Saturn can be a pain to mod :blush:

Can anyone tell which model Saturns to look out for on ebay to be able to mod successfully?

Thanks in advance :D

Well the model 2 with the 32 pin IC is the easiest and most likely to work when modded. The trick is in trying to find one that has the 32 pin IC.

Unfortunalty there is no real full proof way to determine which model will have what from my experience. I would say to look for model MK-80200A or MK-80201

I base this on the model numbers of USA systems and the probability I have found that certain time periods of production (not listed on European Sats) directly relates to the IC chip on the CD board. European Model numbers seem to be the same except a 2 replaces the 3rd digit.

This is of course all only hypothetical. There is a fair enough time spread during the manufacture of these models that still leaves a fair chance of getting the 64pin saturn, but I dont think you will come across any Sanyo boards, of course that could also be incorrect. I simply do not have a large enough sample of saturns to base my idea on, let alone predict saturns made for different regions.

But if you are looking for something to try to better your odds, Id ask the person on ebay for the model number, if its one of those 2 bid on it. Just be sure it has the round buttons or its definitly not one you want for modding. :p

Thanks for the info mate :) I know this is a real nebie question but how do you tell how many pins it has? Is it the number of pins on the ribbon cable that goes onto the CD board or something else? Sorry to sound like such a newbie :p

Originally posted by Luka@Sun, 2005-08-21 @ 06:16 AM

I know this is a real nebie question but how do you tell how many pins it has? Is it the number of pins on the ribbon cable that goes onto the CD board or something else?

[post=138470]Quoted post[/post]​

If you're asking about 20 or 21 pin Saturns, then the number refers to the number of conductors or "pins" on the ribbon cable.

If you're asking about 32 or 64 pin Saturns, then the number refers to the number of legs on the IC that you solder to (or don't) when modding your Saturn.

Back