Why I think War with Iraq Is justifiable

Three hours to go until the fun starts.
sad.gif

Originally posted by schi0249@Mar 20, 2003 @ 03:39 PM

...Does anyone really thinnk the Star Trek vision of "Earth" will ever come to pass...

Probably...you'll note the complete lack of Arabs in the cast.
wink.gif

ok now, which war are you guys talking about? I am in the US and I have heard nothing about this war.

Maybe I am playing games too much.

For those that are interested, I found an interesting analysis of Bush's speech from Monday.

It makes some very good points about the Bush administration's claims about Iraq.

Originally posted by mal@Mar 21, 2003 @ 05:02 AM

For those that are interested, I found an interesting analysis of Bush's speech from Monday.

It makes some very good points about the Bush administration's claims about Iraq.

I feel sorry for you.. that you need to search the internet for anything that is negative about the U.S.A . To top that, you would believe it like it's the law.

I feel sorry for you, unable of critical, independent thought and believing everything the government says like it's the law.

Originally posted by Lyzel@Mar 20, 2003 @ 09:37 AM

I feel sorry for you.. that you need to search the internet for anything that is negative about the U.S.A . To top that, you would believe it like it's the law.

Actually, a sizeable portion of that analysis could be verified online if you're not busy, at such places as www.un.org. I looked up some of it (albeit, a small portion) and it's actually there, no secrets involved...

Some of it is conjecture, yes. Some of it is very liberal, but that's reserved for the latter part of the analysis... most of it follows some level of logic. But of course, International Relations and foreign policy has no such proving grounds to test theories, so some of it could be wrong.

Now Lyzel, you need to reread what Mal said. He stated it makes 'some very good points', which it does. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting, but he makes no reference to it as the Bible.

And, in fairness, you too only posted one article and made it the focus of going to war with Iraq; an irony, really, because one of our allies in the 'war on terrorism' is Pakistan - who own rather OVERTLY a number of weapons, of mass destruction, and are fairly restrictive in the governmental policies :):cough::understatement::cough:
smile.gif
and do have some tenuous relations to terrorists (re: India v. Pakistan). Unless of course you advocate going to war with Pakistan as well, which is wholly another topic for debate.

you mean right now? How long has this been going on? I really have to unhook my videogames from the tv and turn on the news now and then...

Originally posted by Lyzel+Mar 21, 2003 @ 04:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lyzel @ Mar 21, 2003 @ 04:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-mal@Mar 21, 2003 @ 05:02 AM

I feel sorry for you.. that you need to search the internet for anything that is negative about the U.S.A . To top that, you would believe it like it's the law. [/b][/quote]

Don't worry, I'll try to find something with no factual basis but plenty of 'humor' just for you.
smile.gif

Originally posted by mal+Mar 21, 2003 @ 12:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ Mar 21, 2003 @ 12:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Lyzel@Mar 21, 2003 @ 04:37 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-mal
@Mar 21, 2003 @ 05:02 AM

Don't worry, I'll try to find something with no factual basis but plenty of 'humor' just for you.
smile.gif
[/b][/quote]

That would be a shock, Mr. Hypocrite. :agree

Originally posted by antime@Mar 21, 2003 @ 07:34 AM

I feel sorry for you, unable of critical, independent thought and believing everything the government says like it's the law.

Just because I believe that everyone should have their freedom, does not mean that I totally agree with the government of the U.S.A. And just because I believe that they should attack Iraq, is MY right to belive. You can disagree with it all you want. You can be close minded all you want, and only see what you want to see, and only believe what you want to believe. Right?

Originally posted by Lyzel@Mar 21, 2003 @ 06:01 PM

You can be close minded all you want, and only see what you want to see, and only believe what you want to believe. Right?

Zounds, the irony!

Originally posted by Lyzel@Mar 20, 2003 @ 08:01 PM

You can disagree with it all you want. You can be close minded all you want, and only see what you want to see, and only believe what you want to believe. Right?

You know, what's strange is, more than half the world agree with the stance of not going to war. With the exception of France (who would veto anything), most can't really find a strong argument that would say we should attack Iraq.

I'm not sure if you read Mal's article, but probably the best insight was in regard to the weapons themselves - if the US knows where they are, how come Bush didn't tell the UN so they could send the inspectors to destroy them? To go for the sake of war? To put our own soldiers at risk for what could be done by 'peaceful' means? Forget the slaughter of the Iraqi people for a second - our troops aren't going to go unscathed. And a sizable number of troops are people who don't bleed red white and blue but need the money to go to college (I should know, I was almost one of them).

Essentially, this creates precedent that will haunt the US for many years. A country can use any information of it's choosing, and if it has the financial means, attack another country and depose of it's leader. That's an extremely dangerous precedent, especially during a time where globalization is almost unavoidable. A person firm in their belief that Mr. Bush is a warmongerer and a threat to the world could now rationally kill him - that's the essential truth.

One could argue that you're the closeminded one, as you tend to address only sentences of long arguments (taking them out of context), and don't address all the arguments except those you can use whatever 'factual evidence' the Bush administration provides against.

Back