Why is my computer slow?

Sorry to bother you guys with this, but I figured some of the computer experts might find my pain entertaining...

I am running Xp and recently I filled up my HD. I started to clean the system of junk downloads when I noticed an old DOS game, Epic Pinball, wouldn't run. It would seem the freeze, but the task manager showed it as responsive and "running".

So I decided to erase unnecessary junk accumulated from the net, degragment the drive and finally I ran a program called "Tune Up Utilities 2003". It erased zero byte files, and "cleaned" the registry of "unnecessary files". Then I ran a virus scan and was all clear.

Now my computer runs slow as hell. AND the DOS program is still not working, even after erasing and reinstalling it! I have 75% of the C drive free.

NOw I am considering a "full system restore" back to the "original factory settings". I was wondering if the registry thing slowed me down or something else... any suggestions before I go back to factory settings? I really don't want to do it because I will lose some good programs
sad.gif

Wholy crap dude! The same exact thing happened to me! My computer wasn't runnig at full speed, so i defragged it, and cleaned the regestry and everything. Just right clicking something takes forever sometimes! I have xp also. I would like to kow also.... Good question jeff.

Anytime you mess with the registry. ESPECIALLY if you let some "utility" do it. You're asking for serious trouble. The registry is like the brain of windows. And as you can imagine while some parts are just extra waste some are quite vital. Erasing some "unnecessary" entries may have caused weird things to happen quite easily. Best bet is to just reinstall OVER the current install and see if that helps. If it doesn't sounds like you need a fresh install.

If you're gonna do any more registry cleanups, I'd recommend using Regcleaner instead. I've had no troubles with it in the last couple of years of using it.. And you can restore all the entries straight away if it goes wrong.

Any of you running Service Pack 1?

There was a bug in SP1 that would slow some XP systems down to hell. Microsoft released a post-SP1 patch which updates the NTOS kernel to fix that bug... Unfortunately I don't remember the knowledge base article... but a search for "windows xp slow" on google should get you there..

I dunno about that SP1 bug.. SP1 did my system the world of good but slowed my mothers' to a crawl. Maybe it depends on your hardware or something?

I did a TOTAL restore to factory settings today. That DOS program which used to work but stopped working -- would NOT run even after the restore and reinstallation? Does that mean something about my Hardware has changed?

Either way, I managed to back-up many of my programs to CDR, but I am depressed about the restore. I forgot to save my links, so I must redo all of my Favorite bookmarks...
sad.gif
I also have to redo all the auto complete forms...
sad.gif

it is good and bad. I feel like my computer is gone forever. I have to redo all the desktop settings and such. But I get a fresh new start.

sarcasm.gif

Originally posted by antime@Jul 10, 2003 @ 05:54 AM

And all this for of Epic Pinball, which is a shit game anyway.

it was the principle...

I couldn't figure out why it would work before and not now. I think it is the symptom of a greater problem.

I still can't figure out why it will not work. It even locks up during installation using either the disk version or the cd version. It's like the computer suddenly refuses to play the game any longer.

Originally posted by Myname@Jul 9, 2003 @ 01:53 PM

I dunno about that SP1 bug.. SP1 did my system the world of good but slowed my mothers' to a crawl. Maybe it depends on your hardware or something?

I strongly recommend whoever is experiencing slowdown after installing SP1 (whether immediately or later) look for Microsoft's patch for ntoskrnl.exe .... you're right Myname, it doesn't affect EVERY computer, but it does some... I don't think it affected mine actually, but I installed the patch anyway, just for good measure.

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Jul 6, 2003 @ 10:44 AM

Windows likes to be reinstalled once a year. It's the nature of the beast.

I didn't reinstall Windows 98 SE in over 3 years and had no problems with it... well, no major ones that I couldn't fix.
tongue.gif

Back