Why is Paris *still* on burning...

While I have no idea why the riots are continuing, I did hear about it on the radio this morning. They didn't go into a lot of detail, but it's largely a local news station. They don't cover national and world stories in much depth usually.

We need a Sakura Squad! 🙂

Seriuosly, why don't they just kick out all thse f#$@#rs out of the country ? If I realize that right, they just demand money from goverment and don't want to work ?

If they tryed it here, there will be just a few thousands of dead (or half-dead 🙂) bodies and no riots for next 10 years or so 🙂

I've seen a fair amount of coverage, between google news, my local paper, and npr. Certainly (sad to say) more than I would have had this been occuring in Africa, the Middle East, or Southeast Asia. That said, yeah, I think the story needs more coverage. It's certainly interesting. I don't know much about French politics but I know the racial tensions in various parts of Europe have been rising steadily for the past decade or so, and it seems this is just the first major 'eruption' so to speak. Any of our French members care to comment?

edit - now that I think about it, riots in some parts of the Middle East are given pretty extensive coverage, but I think that has more to do with the hope of democratizing the whole region.

Originally posted by slinga@Tue, 2005-11-08 @ 06:55 AM

VBT I hope your car is alright.

[post=141482]Quoted post[/post]​

It hasn't burn fortunatly 🙂 , it's parked since yesterday in my parent's home, it's more secure than leaving it outside. Also my car has no more insurance against fire and theft.

2 cars has burnt in the town near mine (2-3km from here) and one of the worse place is at 14 km from me (839 cars burnt 2 days ago).

I'm not living in america right now, but my guess as to why it's not a daily highlight is that most internal strife from other countries isn't that highly cared about by other countries.

Now if this were to turn into a civil war it would be highly covered, yet now it's merely riots, thus it's not important enough yet.

I too have seen a decent amount of coverage. Then again, I stick to sources like npr. Hell, yesterday at work, I saw Fox news was even covering it. (I work w/ people who hate the "liberal" news organizations like CNN.)

The whole story is sad though. Racial relations in Europe continue to deteriorate. And its not all about money. Some view they are not treated as equals. And then you have what occured in Amsterdam last year.

Here in germany there is much news about the situation in france. I just didn't knew that there has always been similar problems at new year in strassburg, for example.

I'm shocked, definitely. This is crime, nothing else.

The violence erupted on Oct. 27 as a localized riot in a northeast Paris suburb angry over the accidental deaths of two teenagers, of Mauritanian and Tunisian descent, who were electrocuted while hiding from police in a power substation.

It has grown into a nationwide insurrection by disillusioned suburban youths, many French-born children of immigrants from France's former territories like Algeria. France's suburbs have long been neglected and their youth complain of a lack of jobs and widespread discrimination, some of it racial.

The violence claimed its first victim Monday, with the death of a 61-year-old man beaten into a coma last week. Foreign governments have warned tourists to be careful in France. Apparent copycat attacks have spread to Belgium and Germany, where cars were burned. France is using fast-track trials to punish rioters, worrying some human rights campaigners.

Ive been seeing the story for a awhile now this is the best explaination ive seen yet.

I wonder if they ever built new homes yet for the slums they tore down?

Hey, there were riots (the whole shebang, fires, deaths, chaos) in Toledo, Ohio last month, and I never heard about them outside of internet coverage.

And I live in Ohio.

Well, I've been told that France has been deathly afraid of such outlashes from the minority community. I didn't realize it was that bad. Of course, everyone has their opinion about it... Honestly I hope the violence ends soon. Nobody deserves such violence.

I like the way Colbert put it last night. "They shouldn't be rioting, they're living the French dream, everyone looks down upon the French, it doesn't matter if they're a minority or not."

hehe. oh steven...

Ricky: Ya know, did you ever see the movie "The Centinal," Mr Peterson? It's about the old guy who owns the apartment which is kinda like the, uh, gateway to hell.

Ray Peterson: No, I, I didn't see that.

Ricky: Well, I was doin' some thinkin' and you know, being that their last house burned down and all, it's like maybe, somebody left the gate open.

Back