Wide screen televisions and old consoles

I've just obtained a large television, works on projection rather than direct tubes.

We all know that you can burn an image into a screen neh?, Well the person who sold us this new set said it burns much eaiser than a smaller set.

So the question is does anyone have any experience with older consoles and newer rear projection TVs? Is it really possible for me to burn the score box or other perment on screen information into the TV screen?

Anyone have any advice to prevent this from happening?

Thx In Advance. :bandit

My knowledge of this is limited, but I believe it to be true. Or at least it used to be...

To be honest, I'd be surprised if the materials used today were not more tolerant of screen burn, but don't take that as gospel.

At any rate, older consoles are no more likely to cause screen burn than newer ones. If there is a static image on screen long enough, there is always the possibility that it will burn.

I've heard that with some types of widescreen sets (IIRC this was in reference to plasma, but I'm not certain) it's possible to get a sort of burn-in if the widescreen feature is rarely used, due to the center portion of the screen wearing out more quickly than the outer parts. This could be BS, but it sounds feasible to me...

I have a big screen projection television and I play tons of games on it (its fine). I think what there talking about when there refering to burn in is like an arcade game when it is left on with just the title screen and a few game shots over the years this will burn in . It will happen much faster if you pause a game and a and leave it on the tv with that screen so dont do it .

And yes curtis older games are more likely to cause burn in than newer games because newer software , dreamcast , playstation i think i even remember some 3do games have screensavers on them after a few minutes of being paused little gex paws run all over the screen or alot of games the screen just goes black or really dark after a couple minutes and goes back to normal after you press a button .

Also, I'm not sure how much this matters, but some of the older systems (NES and C=64 come to mind) are based on fixed palettes that tend to feature certain "elemental" colors: red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, and yellow. I'd assume that these colors are likely to cause burn-in faster than colors that have more varied RGB distribution.

Originally posted by Xavier@April 29 2002,14:29

And yes curtis older games are more likely to cause burn in than newer games because newer software , dreamcast , playstation i think i even remember some 3do games have screensavers on them after a few minutes of being paused little gex paws run all over the screen or alot of games the screen just goes black or really dark after a couple minutes and goes back to normal after you press a button .

That is only relevant if you leave you games paused for a long time.

What I was trying to point out was the signal from an older console is no different to the signal from a newer console, although ExCyber might have a point about the types of colours generated by older systems.

If you have, for example, a car's dashboard on screen for a couple of hours becuase you only drive from the internal view, it's no different from having the pacman maze up for the same time.

Back