Winamp3

Now that Skankin has clarified what is acceptable I guess I'm free to ask people's opinion on Winamp3. Anyone here use it? Personally I think it's becoming bloatware. I don't need another Media Player (which also got pretty retarded with version 7). The interface was clunky and confusing, it ran a little slower on my AMD 1800+ and I couldn't find a good skin for it yet. Every skin I tried warped the face and the text so bad I couldn't tell what the hell it was. I think Nullsoft is losing their touch. What made Winamp 2.x so good was that it was small and easy to use. I had 3 uninstalled in less than 20 minutes and went back to 2.8.

It is horrrrrriiibbblllleeee.

Somehow it magically lost that I have a hard drive on a second pc mapped to the pc I was running it on... even though Windows still showed the mapped drive as being available.

In the middle of making dinner and my mp3s started skipping because WA3 decided to randomly screw things up.

What really pissed me off was that I had to reboot after UNinstalling the damn thing because it made my pc run so very slow.
sad.gif

Originally posted by Cynnamin@Aug. 14 2002, 10:27 am

It is horrrrrriiibbblllleeee.

Somehow it magically lost that I have a hard drive on a second pc mapped to the pc I was running it on... even though Windows still showed the mapped drive as being available.

In the middle of making dinner and my mp3s started skipping because WA3 decided to randomly screw things up.

What really pissed me off was that I had to reboot after UNinstalling the damn thing because it made my pc run so very slow.
sad.gif

agreed, for me winamp and winamp 3 are just crap full stop, there are no decent reliable mp3 players windows media player is just a big clumsy slow memory using peice of sh*t. musicmatch jukebox is crap, realplayer always has errors.
angry.gif

Well i dunno johnD, i think that winamp 2.x is pretty good. i've used it since 1998/99 then got a new comp that came with music match JB (ew) and then relaized how much better winamp was switched back to 2.80. Although i will say that while clunkly, real player is not horrible, just slightly less than good.

Winamp 3 isn't bad, i like the real support for Ogg out of the box (which is kinda iffy in the 2.x versions which you had to work around with to get to really work). The media player isn't bad, but it's not good either. The official release is much better than the previous beta/alpha releases though, where the program often took 20 seconds to startup, so I hope they're heading in the right direction.

The Original 6.x media players that came packed with 98 was excelent, however the new 7.x media players for windows totaly bites. The interface was made huge and chunky like Real Audio, and it lost everything that made it good. In fact, even the Mpeg 1 codec was messed up, as now images look pixaly and jagged as ever!

i think its real nice when u get a good skin for it...

btw, check out winamp.deskmod.com, theres a chock full of winamp 3 skins there :D

Windows Media Player screws my system up if I have a CD in either of my drives... >_<

Winamp 2 is okay. I use it strictly for playing emulated music (NSF files and the like). I tried 3 a couple years or so ago, it was okay, but there's really no reason why it should be better than 2.

Originally posted by Trenton net@Aug. 14 2002, 8:49 pm

The Original 6.x media players that came packed with 98 was excelent, however the new 7.x media players for windows totaly bites.

Start/Run/mplayer2.exe. If you just want the old look, switch to "Compact Mode" from the View menu.

Anyhow, there are more mp3 players than there are stars in the sky so everyone should be able to find at least one they like, even if it's mpg123 -s > /dev/audio.

antime --> Going to compact mode is just cosmetic. A lot of things still don't change (Such as the floating tool bar in skin mode), ect and it reverts back to the default skin when you do many things. Plus you can't configure the Classic skin because basicly its just a skin. Not the real thing.

On top of that, the render/codec they use for Mpeg has been also degraded. Compare a VCD on ether program and you can tell the diffrence right away when dealing with resizing. Its very pixley.

Awful, it is going to be a long while before they either force people to switch over to or then actaully sit knock the bugs out of it and optimize the code.

umm what about win media 8(standard with xp) or 9(beta)

i use 9 right now yummy beta testing and its really good lots of improvements i can watch full screen dvd quality divx without slowdown where as with the official divx player i can't full screen without it skipping all over the place and the quality is just awesome ties right into all the old codec's and uses em if it din't install newer ones.

I don't even want to try it. After I saw the recommended specs I knew it was bloatware. If love Winamp 2.X -- if it aint broke, don't fix it!!!

WA3 suxx!

i can't even configure the mp3-plugin the way it was back in 2.x

never seen a final worse than the prior versions...

Yeah same here. Been playin' around with it a bit and I can't see any improvements. I want my playlist to show total track times (not "Playlist 012 *modified*...), I don't need another video player, I want to configure my plug-ins, etc, etc...

Guess it's 2.8 for me - if it ain't broke, don't fix it
smile.gif

My only problem with Winamp 3 is that it's incompatable with Winamp 2 plugins. The audio plugins are the only reason I even use winamp. I'ma big fan of chip tunes so I like having one program to handle them all.

Back