Wince+CDDA Fix

Last year I made this small discovery for Wince + CDDA games and it can repair most of the games that cause problems when playing tracks.
First of all say that it does not work in game as Sega Rally 2 or Virtua Cop and in Armada the track continues to restart, but many others manage to work the cdda correctly thanks to this fix.
In ip.bin hacked with binhack, go to this offset
7891_Captura_de_pantalla_10.png

Substitute those 2 values for 0900 and save.

Mount your iso and the tracks will play correctly

Tested games
Nightmare Creatures 2 (Demul and Gdemu and CD) Working
Bust and Move 4 Working
Midway Greatest Arcade Hits 2 Working
Worms Armagedón Working
Spirits of Speed 1937 Working (Although the gdi does not load tracks in the race, but it does in menus)
Rainbow Six US NTSC Working (If you substitute in the Pal version 0winceos by the one of the Us ntsc version, cdda will also work in the Pal version)
Kiss Psyco Circus Working

In obscure is the original link where I created the post, I do not want to put the link to not spam, unless they give me permission ...
As many of you know, the Wince binary was adapted to be loaded as if it were a Katana binary, and I think that really was the problem so many of these wince have errors in their CDDA reproduction.
The hacked ip.bin is the proof of this.
In my research I noticed that the bincon tool is not necessary to hack 0winceos.bin
This tool removes 0x800 bytes at the beginning of the 0WINCEOS (These bytes are necessary to remove to boot as katana), but it also adds 0x800 bytes at the end of the Binary, (This is unnecessary since these bytes are also loaded in ram)

The Wince load from the gdrom does not load in ram that 0x800 bytes of the beginning of the 0winceos, loading from that position as 8C010000 in ram without needing to eliminate bytes
Perhaps it is one of the keys to be able to boot games in wince mode and can finish solving the games that keep crashing your cdda.

I think that a new ip.bin hacked exclusively for wince could be necessary so that the games can work correctly on your cdda

Thanks for sharing! Just curious, is the CDDA problem one that affects burned games, or ones played in an emulator? I can't say it's an issue I ever recall happening, and certainly not with an ODE.

This happens in many Wince games hacked for Cdrom, whatever the format or the system you play it, be it burned CD, emualdor or ODE

It doesn't happen when you recreate a new Gdrom image.

However, other wince games work fine without the need for the fix, but in many others if problems arise.

In the games listed to apply the fix, the cdda almost always presents the same problem and that is that the same track is always heard.
Others like Sega Rally 2 and Virtua Cop 2, CDDA won't play never
Another like the Armada the CDDA restarts when paused

Last edited:
Interesting, thank you for the reply. I can't say I recall any of these issues taking place with WinCE games and GDEMU/MODE. I just tried out Virtua Cop 2 for about 10 minutes, as well as Sega Rally 2. I didn't notice anything.

Great job working on a fix for those that do, though! :)

Yes, in GDEMU you have the possibility to play it in GDI format and in this format they will work perfectly
But if you play it in CDI format or another CDROM format you will get these problems, just like with recorded CDs.

For this reason, and after 20 years, some games can be corrected thanks to this fix, such as those on the list, and perhaps some more that I have not tested, of course if you are going to burn those games or prefer the CDI format.

The other games like Sega Rally 2 or Virtua Cop 2, maybe they need a new ip.bin hacked exclusively for wince games so that the cdda can be played smoothly in any CDROM format.

Yes, in GDEMU you have the possibility to play it in GDI format and in this format they will work perfectly
But if you play it in CDI format or another CDROM format you will get these problems, just like with recorded CDs.

For this reason, and after 20 years, some games can be corrected thanks to this fix, such as those on the list, and perhaps some more that I have not tested, of course if you are going to burn those games or prefer the CDI format.

The other games like Sega Rally 2 or Virtua Cop 2, maybe they need a new ip.bin hacked exclusively for wince games so that the cdda can be played smoothly in any CDROM format.
Ah, I understand now. Thanks!

I wonder if the issue is what I have come across on Saturn where the LBAs weren't aligning correctly.
Well, I have no idea why this happens in these two games (There is another one that now I don't remember the name).
It may be the fault of the ip.bin as this hack is the same for Katana games, only the wince binaries were adapted.
It is also possible that it is because of the iso but the strange thing is that it only happens in these.
The only coincidence that I have found is that both games have a CDDA player (BGM select) in options.
This option is not carried by the games in which the cdda works, I don't know if this has something to do with it.

Back