• Rise from your gwave!

WINDOWS upgrade form 98se to???

Discussion in 'General' started by Equinoxe, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Equinoxe

Equinoxe New Member

can some one tell me what the best windows to upgrade to XP or ME whats the best compatibal with game's?

2. IceDigger

IceDigger Founder Staff Member

Millenium is more compatible with games.

3. megametalgreymon

megametalgreymon New Member

me is shite though

i would stick with 98 se over winME anyday

4. IceDigger

ME is win98 with about 2000 new bugs and half the performance at twice the resources.

XP has tons of problems and many can't even get it to install at all.

I recommend win2k, it's stable as a rock and I've never run into any compatibility problems other than with old DOS games (which XP has too).

5. sOnIcFrEaK334

sOnIcFrEaK334 New Member

Whats wronge with xp? I use it and emulators work fine!

6. IceDigger

it eats up tons of resources, it won't even install for many people for absolutely stupid reasons (it wouldn't install on my other PC cause my videocard is not compatible with my MB.. if it wasn't, why the fuck were they running fine for 2 years together?), and it commits suicide rather regulary, not to mention that it is incompatible with ALOT of older drivers/hardware.

7. Shaneus

Shaneus New Member

stick wit 98se, i use it @ home, and u know what they say... if it aint broke........

8. slinga

slinga Member

Hey just a quick question...

Does anybody EVER remember win 3.1 crashing? I don't...hmmm...stupid Bill Gates.

9. Fabrizo

Fabrizo New Member

I used to use 3.1 manny years back, and can't remember it ever crashing on me. Hmmm, interesting....

10. IceDigger

3.x just had a black screen of death instead of blue.

11. SkankinMonkey

SkankinMonkey Member

I run winxp: WinXP Uptime: 2wks 5days 7hrs 50mins 28secs

It doesnt crash that much, and the compatability is better than 2k. It does have install problems for lots of people though, and it doesnt eat that much more resources than 2k. If you have the machine for it, I recommend xp.

12. ExCyber

ExCyber Staff Member

With Win3.x, the feared words weren't "(color) Screen of Death), but rather "General Protection Fault". All it takes is one badly-coded app, and the system comes grinding to a halt (not entirely unlike MacOS).

13. JCTango

JCTango New Member

i'm thinking about using winxp cuz of a prob running Return to Wolfenstein Castle multiplayer... Does WinXP have better/worse/same compatibility issues than Win2k?

14. SkankinMonkey

SkankinMonkey Member

It has less issues than win2k with compatability, and they are always issuing more compatability patches.

15. JCTango

JCTango New Member

k. might give winxp a shot, once i get all my stuff backed up that is... Win2K had lots of compatibility problems for games for me...

16. IceDigger

other than some DOS games, there is not a single game, old or new, that did not work in win2k for me. and all of those that didn't work, don't work in XP either.

17. Cloud121

Cloud121 Member

do Half-life, Starcraft, Quake II, SNES9x, ZSNES, and Gens work in Win2k?

18. IceDigger

dunno about starcraft and quake 2, but the others work fine. soldier of fortune is based on the quake 2 engine, and works fine too, so q2 should.

19. Nadius

Nadius Member

Yes, Starcraft and Quake 2 do run under xp... those rainbow six, and mechwarrior 4 are the only online games i play.

20. Nadius

Nadius Member

Okay, i need some help.

I just got myself a hard to find Castlevania Symphony of the Night...for $9.99... I have bleem but haven't used it in a while, now i have xp and i get a

"Bleem!.exe is not valid win32 application"... error

I've tried the compatability mode to no avail, and I've reinstalled about 3 times... someone know if Bleem can run in XP?