Without a project for the contest?

All the following have versions that do not depend on ASM or graphic stuff...

Descent : there are Linux ports of the executable that could be ported, but without sprite stuff implemented it might just be too slow.

SCUMMvm : I wanted to do this myself, since it looks easy enough. You folks can try it, anyway. ^^;

SCI : Err... kinda useless since we don't have a keyboard. Anyone up for a "PS/2 to Saturn" hardware conversor?

Doom : Yeah, I know there already is Doom, but hey, doesn't kill to have one that can use mods
smile.gif

And that's about it. I could suggest a Quake II port, but then I'd be fringing on the edge of insanity
tongue.gif

Originally posted by TakaIsSilly@Mar 18, 2003 @ 01:15 PM

All the following have versions that do not depend on ASM or graphic stuff...

Descent : there are Linux ports of the executable that could be ported, but without sprite stuff implemented it might just be too slow.

SCUMMvm : I wanted to do this myself, since it looks easy enough. You folks can try it, anyway. ^^;

SCI : Err... kinda useless since we don't have a keyboard. Anyone up for a "PS/2 to Saturn" hardware conversor?

Doom : Yeah, I know there already is Doom, but hey, doesn't kill to have one that can use mods
smile.gif

And that's about it. I could suggest a Quake II port, but then I'd be fringing on the edge of insanity
tongue.gif

oh that nice but have you thought about the fact that the saturn got power but still hasn't much available ram? what i mean is that an interpreter would use up more memory than the whole game. also there would be many obsolete functions which are not needed by the running game but use up some space which might be useful for caching graphics and stuff. sure it would be possible but noone realy got a game that far that it was motivating the player for more than one minute so why think of such rather complex things?

another framework (just like SGL but under GPL) would be of much more use i think. at least that's what i think. the work on my project for the contest at least is aiming for such a thing. the usabilty of the actual program is just a bonus sine i need to test all my routines and stuff. working around SGL isn't too hard i think since the compiler work w/ O3 and the code is fast.
tongue.gif

Actually, I based my estimates on ports for the GP32, that has 1Mb of RAM memory. Somewhat working versions of SCUMM and Descent were ported. Heretic, that is DooM based, also runs. Actually, the only thing that i'm woried about _is_ the processor speed
tongue.gif

As for the GPL graphic library, that would be really interesting... I'm looking forward to that. The only thing SGL has over me is the fact it has the only CD loading example I can understand ^^;. The rest is just a thin layer to the code i could live without.

that's the reason which made me thinking about it. SGL is great, as long as one has the docs for the specific functions and maybe even some tutorials.

as i recognized that my collection lacks the official document about the SGL CD- and 2D-Library and well commented code samples on BUP i decided to rewrite the code i need. most sound related functions for example are mostly a matter of where and what to write/read to a specific address. if that is all there is with the others too than i guess it would only be a matter of time until i discover the most precious things i haven't the docs about yet.
biggrin.gif

anyhow, would someone be interested in a Saturn-Development-Compilation CD?

These ideas are good. A Descent clone would be cool. If anyone has played Radix, it plays like Descent but uses sprites as enemies. It runs much faster. Lobotomys Slavedriver engine could put both those games without problems.

Here are some ideas from me :

• Simple Wolf 3D like game (the wolf code is free, so is the Rise of the triad source) Maybe a two player splitscreen mode
  • Port a simple nes game, like Ballon fight...
  • Flying 3D Demo. I have a demo on my amiga where you fly wround a beautifully realtime renderd castle. Something like that.
  • Painting program, like Mario paint. Atleast its innovative...
  • Chip 8 Emulator, there is one for the Sms...

Originally posted by TakaIsSilly@Mar 19, 2003 @ 12:15 AM

No keyboard?

You could use one of these.

Originally posted by mal+Mar 19, 2003 @ 07:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ Mar 19, 2003 @ 07:52 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-TakaIsSilly@Mar 19, 2003 @ 12:15 AM

No keyboard?

You could use one of these. [/b][/quote]

I "could", but then noone could play it but me ^^; what would be a sad state of affairs.

Back