Wonderboy

Was the Megadrive-version of Wonderboy IV (the action/adventure/rpg/whatever) released for the PcEngine, and if so what is it called? I know that Wonderboy 2 and 3 (SMS-version) was released for the PcEngine.

And is Wonderboy IV the last Wonderboy-game ever released? (I know there was a bunch of Adventure Island games for the old gameboy) But I'm thinking more of the games that plays like Wonderboy 3 (SMS) and Wonderboy 4 (Megadrive/Genesis).

Well, there is Wonderboy: Dragons Lair on PC-Engine CD (and TurboGrafx CD), which I think is the third in the Wonderboy MW series.

As for how many there are, I think there is up to Wonderboy 6, on Megadrive/ Genesis.

Sega owns the name Wonder Boy but for some reason they don't have any problem with Hudson releasing the same games just with other names. The game Dragon Curse for the PcEngine, wich is the same game as Wonderboy3: Dragons Trap on the SMS. Was there a CD-version? I've only seen it on Hucard.

But the Mega Drive versions seems to have been exclusive to just that system. I only know of 2 RPG/Platform-type games Wonderboy in Monster World; and Monster World IV. And MWIV was only released in Japan. :angry:

I just have to get myself a copy of Wonderboy in Monster World, wich was also released for SMS but to my knowledge is a different game, it just happens to have the exact same name as the Mega Drive game.

It get's confusing with the different names. But I think there was seven games in all.

Wonder Boy - SMS

Wonder Boy in Monster Land - SMS

Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap - SMS

Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair - Mega Drive

Wonder Boy in Monster World - Mega Drive

Wonder Boy in Monster World - SMS

Monster World IV - Mega Drive

Where Wonder Boy in Monster Land is of course the Japanese start of the series Monster World. :blink:

I really hope you're right that there are a Monster World V and VI.

I really hope you're right that there are a Monster World V and VI.

There are, for japanese megadrive. Continuing the Wonderboy: Monster World series. You play as a new character (a girl) in 5 and 6.

And there is Wonderboy: Dragons Lair on PC-Engine CD/ TurboGrafx CD

Btw, you say that the Mega Drive versions seems to have been exclusive to just that system, well, there is also Wonderboy: Monster World on arcade, as well as SMS. There is also Wonder Boy: Dragons Lair on the arcade aswell.

And also with Wonder Boy and Adventure Island --> which came first? Wonder Boy came in 1986, but so did the Famicom/ NES.

There are, for japanese megadrive. Continuing the Wonderboy: Monster World series. You play as a new character (a girl) in 5 and 6.

Hmm... I was just checking Gamefaqs. They call the Games Wonder Boy V and VI. But if you'll click them you just end up at Monster World III and Monster World IV. The series wasn't called Wonder Boy in Japan, except the first one and the third (arcade). So there is no Wonder Boy 5 and 6, only a Monster World III and IV. These namechanges makes the Final Fantasy order seem pretty logical. ;)

And there is Wonderboy: Dragons Lair on PC-Engine CD/ TurboGrafx CD

Youre refering to Monster Lair right? The games were never called Wonder Boy on any other systems than Sega's own. Didn't know about that game though. Checked some sceenshots and it seems to have gone back to the original type of gameplay from Wonder Boy (the first one), with two player mode and all; but it isn't a conversion of any other existing Wonder Boy game, none of wich I know of atleast. But I won't be trying to hard to find it, since I only like the RPG-versions of Wonder Boy.

Btw, you say that the Mega Drive versions seems to have been exclusive to just that system, well, there is also Wonderboy: Monster World on arcade, as well as SMS. There is also Wonder Boy: Dragons Lair on the arcade aswell.

Youre right there, the Wonder Boy in Monster World (wich IS Wonder Boy 5, just not included in the title) Was released on both Mega Drive and Master System, I wrote that in the list earlier. But it IS in fact the same game, I didn't realise this since the Master System was released in -93 and the MD-version -91. :D

The Arcades are:

Wonder Boy

Wonder Boy in Monster Land

Wonder Boy Deluxe

Wonder Boy III - Monster Lair

As far as I know anyway. And the Wonder Boy name was included even in Japan. Wich must have confused people who later played the exact game on Sega hardware only at home with a different name (the Monster World series (no more Wonder Boy in the title) starts with Wonder Boy in Monster Land)

And also with Wonder Boy and Adventure Island --> which came first? Wonder Boy came in 1986, but so did the Famicom/ NES.

I really don't know. I know that Sega owns the name Wonder Boy, but the game was developed by Weststone and they started working together with Hudson. I think the first release of Wonder Boy was on Arcade and later ported to the SG-1000 and that's when Sega got the rights to the name.

Yeah, when I said Dragon's Lair, I meant Monster Lair (must have gotten the name muddled up with Dragon's Trap.) And again, Wonder Boy in Monster World is not an RPG :(

Here's Wonder Boy V: Monster World III.. So I guess that answers one of your questions.

And here's a site with scans for Wonderboy III: Monster Lair for TurboGrafx/ PC-Engine. And I think these are the only Wonderboy's for PC-Engine/ TurboGrafx. So, I think that should answer your other question.

And about Wonder Boy VI - I'll have to search around some more for this one..

And again, Wonder Boy in Monster World is not an RPG

It's a platform/rpg, well my definition of RPG may differ from yours, "real" RPGs just makes me sleepy.

I will get into Wonder Boy in Monster World (Monster World III) as soon as I'm finnished playing trough tLoZ: Occarina of Time; parts of it is said to have been stolen from the "Wonder Boy in Monster Land" game so that will be interesting.

And about Wonder Boy VI - I'll have to search around some more for this one..

Searching on Monster World IV gives you plenty and judging by the screenshots it seems to build on the same platform/rpg type as Wonder Boy in Monster World. But it's in Japanese and was never translated so I probably won't be bothering getting it, well if Wonder boy in Monster World is really really good I just might. :)

Originally posted by Twillinx+Jan 18, 2004 @ 02:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Twillinx @ Jan 18, 2004 @ 02:32 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
And again, Wonder Boy in Monster World is not an RPG

It's a platform/rpg, well my definition of RPG may differ from yours, "real" RPGs just makes me sleepy.[/b]

Fine, let's compare Castlevania to Wonderboy in Monster World. In both you tend to back-track, and in both you get new weapons.

Another comparison - Alex Kidd: Miracle World allows you to purchase stuff, and so does Wonderboy in Monster World.

Are any of these RPG's? No. And as discussed before in a previous thread - RPG's cannot be classified as "a game where you take the role of a character or a band of characters". Why? Because you take the role of a character/s in nearly half of the gaming genres. Rule of thumb: If it doesn't go into a 'battle screen' for fights, then it's not an RPG.

<!--QuoteBegin-Twillinx
@Jan 18, 2004 @ 02:32 AM

...parts of it is said to have been stolen from the "Wonder Boy in Monster Land" game so that will be interesting.[/quote]

Never heard about that before. Oh well :cheers

And enjoy Wonderboy in Monster World when you begin playing it. I'm sure you will ;)

Fine, let's compare Castlevania to Wonderboy in Monster World. In both you tend to back-track, and in both you get new weapons.

And you level up, all the ingredients of a RPG. So I like to call it actionRpg or platformRpg. But that's just me, and I'm glad we sorted that out, it was confusing enough with the namechanges, adding the different definitions of what a platformRpg didn't help. :D

Otherwise you have to call alot of games Adventure games or whatever you call Castlevania and Zelda. But to me it really doesn't matter, most of the time it just helps to explain what kind of game it is, but in this time it didn't work out all that well. :D

Another comparison - Alex Kidd: Miracle World allows you to purchase stuff, and so does Wonderboy in Monster World.

You never level up in that game, in Zelda you get more life, new moves, magic and so on just like Castlevania (SotN and the three GBA titles)

Are any of these RPG's? No. And as discussed before in a previous thread - RPG's cannot be classified as "a game where you take the role of a character or a band of characters". Why? Because you take the role of a character/s in nearly half of the gaming genres. Rule of thumb: If it doesn't go into a 'battle screen' for fights, then it's not an RPG.

I missed out on that discussion. Battle screens destroy the games atmosphere IMO, there must have been an RPG that plays out the fights in the normal "walk around enviroment", but of course, then it's not an RPG. :)

Never heard about that before. Oh well

And enjoy Wonderboy in Monster World when you begin playing it. I'm sure you will

Thought that was common knowledge. ;) From what I already know they stolen alot, but I don't know if the puzzles are stolen aswell. That is if you use Wonder Boys Occarina the same way as Link uses his.

Originally posted by Twillinx+Jan 19, 2004 @ 05:22 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Twillinx @ Jan 19, 2004 @ 05:22 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I missed out on that discussion.[/b]

Edit: Got rid of the RPG rant.

<!--QuoteBegin-Twillinx
@Jan 19, 2004 @ 05:22 AM

Thought that was common knowledge. ;) From what I already know they stolen alot, but I don't know if the puzzles are stolen aswell. That is if you use Wonder Boys Occarina the same way as Link uses his.[/quote]

Oh yeah, heh - now I know where you are coming from, but still - The two games have ocarina's in them. Although not a common instrument, I wouldn't have thought the idea for Ocarina of Time came from one of the developers playing Wonderboy in Monster World :p. But I don't know the story behind the creation of Ocarina of Time so perhaps it's true.. hmm :D

:sleep: what, yeah sure! ;) ;)

From now on I will define Castlevania and Zelda as non-eligible RPGs. ;)

Oh yeah, heh - now I know where you are coming from, but still - The two games have ocarina's in them. Although not a common instrument, I wouldn't have thought the idea for Ocarina of Time came from one of the developers playing Wonderboy in Monster World . But I don't know the story behind the creation of Ocarina of Time so perhaps it's true.. hmm

Well from what I've heard thats not the only thing. I tried out the Master System version yesterday, about 15 minutes of game time, I really wan't to play the Mega Drive-version. And I really have to finnish occarina of time before I really get into that one... so many games, so little time. :D

This is what I've heard about the Mega Drive-version, you start out with three hearts, without sword and shield and with a fairy... later on you come across an occarina and meet huge fairies (the female type ;)), I've also heard that some of the puzzles was stolen. Wheter any of this is true or not I don't know; to me it's still just hearsay (thats an eligimit expression right)

In the SMS-version you start out with sword and sheild and I honestly don't remember if he had a fairy. I played till I met a fairy and got my occarina. Then I knew I needed the Mega Drive-version.

Hudson made a version of Wonderboy in Monster World for PC Engine/Turbo Grafx 16 CD called Dynastic Hero. I'm pretty certain it's exactly the same as the MegaDrive/Genesis version except for some sprite changes and some cut scenes.

Back