Xbox 2 will be using an ATI chipset

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
http://spong.com/index.asp?art=5053

Senior development sources in the UK have today revealed to us that Microsoft’s next generation Xbox will use an ATi graphics chipset, following Microsoft’s apparent inability to work cohesively with former provider nVidia.

Not known as the most forgiving company in the world, it seems that Microsoft has simply tired of the bitter arbitration it found itself involved in, following the breakdown of any productive working relationship with nVidia. As you may know, the Xbox’s inordinately high production costs saw Microsoft put the squeeze on nVidia over its pricing for the Xbox’s graphical heart. nVidia resisted, and no clear solution could be found, leaving both firms no option but to take to the arbitration table.

Although the two came out from negotiations full of smiles and handshakes, today’s news clearly demonstrates that the rift became too big to breach, leaving Microsoft to turn to the only other company able to supply graphics power to Xbox 2’s projected output

GO ATI!!!!

Originally posted by klakalou@Jun 12, 2003 @ 02:07 PM

wow thats not expected. so what is the gamecube 2 gonna have another ati chip right???

Apparently, yes.

But I think Microsoft should've gone with PowerVR... oh well.

Eh.. I know almost nothing of computers, save for the basic stuff, and it's mostly Mac related
smile.gif
Anyway, I'm only posting as a way to vent my frustration. Will people PLEASE stop calling it the XBox 2, GameCube 2, Dreamcast 2! I've heard these all a million times and it's driving me crazy! Just call it Apple Wannabe's Next Generation Console. Nintendo's Next Generation Console. Sega's Next Next Generation Console. The whole number thing is driving me on the brink of insanity! PlayStation is an unoriginal of a name as they come, then just to add the number 2, to the end of it for it's console is stupid. The whole "2" thing, makes a console look fairly unnattractive to me anyway. Thanks god Sega didn't release the Genesis/MegaDrive 2 (which is what the 32x eventually became).

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jun 12, 2003 @ 09:58 PM

Eh.. I know almost nothing of computers, save for the basic stuff, and it's mostly Mac related
smile.gif
Anyway, I'm only posting as a way to vent my frustration. Will people PLEASE stop calling it the XBox 2, GameCube 2, Dreamcast 2! I've heard these all a million times and it's driving me crazy! Just call it Apple Wannabe's Next Generation Console. Nintendo's Next Generation Console. Sega's Next Next Generation Console. The whole number thing is driving me on the brink of insanity! PlayStation is an unoriginal of a name as they come, then just to add the number 2, to the end of it for it's console is stupid. The whole "2" thing, makes a console look fairly unnattractive to me anyway. Thanks god Sega didn't release the Genesis/MegaDrive 2 (which is what the 32x eventually became).

it's not TOTALLY dumb. It's just branding.

Look at all the movie sequals. The main reason they make sequals is because people who heard of the first one will automatically think that the sequal may be a good one as well. It's name recognition.

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jun 12, 2003 @ 04:58 PM

smile.gif

"Apple Wannabe's Next Generation Console"... uh-huh. Right. Sure. *cough* May I remind you which of the two companies is more successful? And what the marketshare gap is? And what the market capitalisation gap is? And the total asset value gap? And the stock gap? AND which company came first? I think you should think about who the 'wannabe' is.

People call them "Xbox 2" and "GameCube 2" because frankly we have NOTHING ELSE TO WORK WITH. We don't even have code names (nobody said N64 2 because Nintendo revealed "Project Dolphin", and nobody said SNES 2 because of "Project Reality" - just for example).

The next PlayStation is already guaranteed to be called PS3, that's a given. Sony are too retarded to come up with a decent replacement name anyway, not that they'd want to. 'PlayStation' is too instantly recognisable. Nintendo can get away with it because everyone knows 'Nintendo' more than anything else... and Microsoft, AFAIR, is actually going with 'Xbox Next" or something like that for the next system's code name, but that sounds retarded IMO.

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Jun 13, 2003 @ 06:37 AM

and Microsoft, AFAIR, is actually going with 'Xbox Next" or something like that for the next system's code name, but that sounds retarded IMO.

I love this new found way of trying to disguise sequels with suffixes like 'next'. I think Sega may be to blame for it.. I remember when it was gonna be Crazy Taxi Next and Panzer Dragoon Next for the Xbox. At least they thought better of it eventually.

Originally posted by Tagrineth+Jun 12, 2003 @ 09:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tagrineth @ Jun 12, 2003 @ 09:53 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-klakalou@Jun 12, 2003 @ 02:07 PM

wow thats not expected. so what is the gamecube 2 gonna have another ati chip right???

Apparently, yes.

But I think Microsoft should've gone with PowerVR... oh well. [/b][/quote]

Series 5 is close to completion... Dreamcast is using a Series 2-based chip for those that don't know anything about PowerVR. If they wanted to they could use 2+ chips, ala Naomi 2 (but again much more modern chips). With PVR tech using multiple chips is very easy to do, and quite efficient.

At any rate, ATI may be a better choice than Nvidia. They haven't been at all satisfied with the pricing they currently pay for Nvidia parts, which in the Xbox are considerable.

Raijin Z: Now we can't call the PSX "Sony Computer Entertainment Playstation model one" anymore. PSX = the "new" Sony console with a hefty price and a shiny case.

Console names that might have been (or yet be)

Sega - Dream Outcast, Jupiter (bigger than Saturn!), Nemesis (nice play on Genesis)

Microsoft - ZBox, NextBox, XBox Second Edition, XBox SP1, XCube (way to offend Nintendo)
smile.gif

Sony - PP (PlayPod), PS Zero, PSM (Playstation Multi-Processing, occasionally ridiculed as Play Some More)

Nintendo - Super Hightech Gameboy Advance Ultra Maxima, Gameball (spherical shape with detachable base), Game Paradise (first console after Nintendo reinvents itself and assumes the new company name, Tengoku)

Originally posted by Taelon@Jun 14, 2003 @ 05:26 AM

XBox SP1,

Haha

I'd prefer Nintendo to keep with the shapes, imagine Gamepyramid or Gamepentagram to appeal to the goth market.

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jun 12, 2003 @ 09:58 PM

smile.gif

if u know a better and quicker way, let us know.

ooooh radeon 9x00 powered system FSAA!!!!!! Smooth Vision *droolz* i want one already hehehe i hope its backwards compatible since they can make wrappers and stuff like for glide.

i dont like the so called "branding" of the next gen game consoles......i mean they all have there good points and bad points its just what floats your boat

I'm a little skeptical of this. For one thing, the Xbox architecture is based on NForce, which means that the GPU is not a separate entity but part of the north bridge. Also, the DirectX libraries are not in the BIOS/kernel but on the game disc, which means that every Xbox game made so far has Nvidia-specific binary code in it. This covers not only the GPU, but the APU as well. I won't say it's impossible to relink this somehow, but it sounds like a tiny bit of a stretch that MS would bank on it working correctly for everything. Unless they're just going to be smarter than that and ignore their installed user base...
rolleyes.gif

As for this:

But it’s more than that. Microsoft and Nintendo in the US are practically next-door neighbours in Redmond, Washington. They are socially active together and there is no bitterness between the two.

I guess Seamus Blackley's asinine comments about how Miyamoto's work is "not helping things" and that he was more or less squandering his talent on kiddy games were forgotten pretty quickly.

Back