Xbox 360 or Dreamcast 2.0?

Parallels:

#3: Sleek white console my ass. That thing is nearly as big as the original Xbox.

#12: Ooohhh! Faceplates! :sarcasm: :wanker

#19: GD-ROM not having enough space? I remember reading about that. What I find funny is that half of the PS2 first year titles were CD-ROM, not DVD-ROM.

#23: I wasn't wowed in the slightest by the MGS4 trailer. I never did see the MGS2 trailer though.

Succeed where Dreamcast failed:

#1: *Ahem* Without Halo, it would've been a complete failure too.

#2: Screw Square. They're best year was 2000 (Chrono Cross, Parasite Eve II, Final Fantasy IX, Vagrant Story, Legend of Mana). Since FFIX, they've sucked ass.

#3: 2K Games > all other sports games (Though in several critics eyes, EA only has/had Sega beat with football. Sega has/had the edge with everything else)

#5: I'm in the minority, but I prefer playing games on their native hardware. Example: Playing PSX games on PSX/PSOne, NOT PS2.

#6: Dreamcast controller was amazing for it's time. Analog triggers! w00t! :p Gimme wired over wireless anyday of the week.

#7: At last count... I own around forty games for my Dreamcast, and not even ten for my Xbox? Oh and, see #1.

#8: Sony/Square released FFVIII on Dreamcast release day to counter it. They knew Dreamcast was going to be huge.

I posted this on other forum about it:

Wow, look at the next page though. What bullshit is that?

Xbox360 has square's support? Uh yeah, in the form of a cheap port of a shitty game.

Yes EA is popular, but Sega offered their own brand of sports games, and might I say, I enjoyed them, despite not liking most sports. Sega didn't lack any sports genres that EA could have backed them up on, except for maybe golf.

"Dreamcast was too early for broadband gaming; 56K didn't really cut it." Um, 56K was never called broadband. True, high action online games like Quake 3, would lag unless you had a quality 56k service, but most of the games, like PSO, did not require broadband, nor would they have benifit much from it. And Alien Front Online had voice chat, just like Xbox Live has, but that was on 56k. Plus Dreamcast could browse the web, something Xbox and Xbox360 cannot do, correct?

Xbox360 is "mostly" backword compatible? Well, according to 1up, Most of Xbox's games were Halo related, seeing as how only Halo has been announced to be compatible with 360.

I can't believe they are trashing the Dreamcast controller, when the Xbox controller ripped it off as much as the PS1 pad did with the SNES pad. Hypocrisy.

Originally posted by FunkyPoopMonkey@Mon, 2005-11-07 @ 10:59 AM

I posted this on other forum about it:

Wow, look at the next page though. What bullshit is that?

Xbox360 has square's support? Uh yeah, in the form of a cheap port of a shitty game.

Yes EA is popular, but Sega offered their own brand of sports games, and might I say, I enjoyed them, despite not liking most sports. Sega didn't lack any sports genres that EA could have backed them up on, except for maybe golf.

"Dreamcast was too early for broadband gaming; 56K didn't really cut it." Um, 56K was never called broadband. True, high action online games like Quake 3, would lag unless you had a quality 56k service, but most of the games, like PSO, did not require broadband, nor would they have benifit much from it. And Alien Front Online had voice chat, just like Xbox Live has, but that was on 56k. Plus Dreamcast could browse the web, something Xbox and Xbox360 cannot do, correct?

Xbox360 is "mostly" backword compatible? Well, according to 1up, Most of Xbox's games were Halo related, seeing as how only Halo has been announced to be compatible with 360.

I can't believe they are trashing the Dreamcast controller, when the Xbox controller ripped it off as much as the PS1 pad did with the SNES pad. Hypocrisy.

[post=141449]Quoted post[/post]​

First, EA makes much, much, much, much, much... did I say much? more than sports games. They are the largest publisher in the U.S., and they were when the DC came out. Needless to say, if you don't have the largest publisher of games in your corner I'd say you're in for a rough ride...

And yes I know they published 1 game in Europe.

I've heard that backwards compatablility means about 80% of Xbox games... So someone here has incorrect information.

And yah, the X-Box pad ripped off the DC, and I'll admit, I hated to X-Box controller(though I like the DC). But the 360 controller is much nicer, a nice hybrid of the X-Box Controller and the PS controller, so you get the best of both worlds.

The DC was a tad early for gaming, but if you played on SEGA's servers lag was almost non-existant on games like Quake 3. I remember them touting about how they were able to widdle down the number of waypoints a signal goes through before it gets to the server to cut down on lag.

And any square support is better than none.

The backwards compatibility works through emulation. Any game could be made compatible. That could be done with the hard drive. Microsoft has only said "At launch, Xbox 360 will be backward compatible with the top Xbox games" However, MS has never indicated what "top games" means.

The DC controller ripped off the Saturn 3D controller, so it's fair game. =P

But seriously, that article seems only to be so much hype and tripe to me.

Ya...Sega ripped off their own controller, BASTARDS!

and I heard that it was only a few select top xbox games. I would say no more than 40-50 at best. But I could be totally wrong.

Thats the thing. Everyone is speculating on what MS meant by "top games." The say they hope for all games to be compatible in the future.

Sorry guys, but MS publicly announced the only games they have currently planned to work on Xbox360 are Halo 1 and 2. It was in the most recent article regarding the topic at Evil Avatar.

Originally posted by FunkyPoopMonkey@Mon, 2005-11-07 @ 10:34 PM

Sorry guys, but MS publicly announced the only games they have currently planned to work on Xbox360 are Halo 1 and 2. It was in the most recent article regarding the topic at Evil Avatar.

[post=141472]Quoted post[/post]​

The X360 kiosks say that an array of XBox titles would be compatible with hard-drive equiped units. Obviously an "array of XBox titles" includes more than just two games.

They are probably still working on the emulator and or testing which games work so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't release a compatibility list until launch day (and there's nothing preventing them from further improving the emulator after launch).

Obviously they're going to guarantee that Halo 1 and 2 will be playable since they are probably the two best-selling games on the platform.

I highly doubt they actually said that Halo 1 and 2 will be the ONLY games that work with the emulation. If that's what the article says it's probably either a misquote or a misinterpretation.

Xbox won't really succeed until it gets good Japanese support (and one Square game ain't gonna cut it). At least the Dreamcast was fairly popular in Japan

See. I view it like this. SNES 9x has continued to improve compatibility through updates. With the hard drive, there is nothing stopping MS from releasing patches for improved compatibility. I doubt they will reach their goal of 100% (hell the PS2 isn't even 100%), but over time it will improve.

Originally posted by racketboy@Mon, 2005-11-07 @ 09:41 PM

Xbox won't really succeed until it gets good Japanese support (and one Square game ain't gonna cut it). At least the Dreamcast was fairly popular in Japan

[post=141480]Quoted post[/post]​

JP list

Expected:

Treasure : Project RS 3

Moss: Raiden 3 or Raiden Fighters Sequel

Arc System works : Guilty Gear Online Sequel

G.Rev : Senko No Ronde

Cave online : Tank Game, Espgaluda 2, Ibara

Playmore : Neo Geo Battle, KOF XI , Kof MI 2

Alfa System : Shikigami no Shiro 3

now that's not bad at all. Question is, will the system fit into most japanese living rooms?

Back