Xbox 360

Cloud121

Established Member
An IBM PowerPC based CPU with 3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each

A custom ATI Graphics processor and more than 512 MB of memory for high definition games and entertainment applications

All games optimized for 16:9 aspect ratio, HD Output (720p and 1080i); multichannel surround sound output

Detachable and upgradeable 20GB hard drive to download demos and trailers along with new game levels, maps, weapons, vehicles, skins, community-created content, and more; to rip music for playback and to listen to custom play lists in every game

A wireless controller with Microsoft-patented wireless technology; Xbox Guide Button on every controller, the launch pad that instantly connects gamers to their games, friends, and music and to power on or power off Xbox 360 without leaving the couch

Gamer Profile software that remembers what players have achieved in games

Instant, out-of-the-box access to Xbox Live, including: a built-in Ethernet port for connectivity; Xbox Live Marketplace for downloadable content; a Message Center to receive voice and video messages from friends; ability to talk to friends, even while watching movies or listening to music; and an Xbox Live Headset

3 USB 2.0 ports for Xbox Live Camera peripheral; to plug in wired game controllers that are also common for Windows PCs; to stream media from any portable media device, digital camera, and Windows XP PC

Progressive-scan DVD movie playback out of the box; DVD and CD music and photo playback out of the box; support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD

Windows Media Center Extender built in to access recorded TV (including high definition) and digital movies (including high definition), music, video and photos stored on Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PCs through any Xbox 360

Support for up to four wireless game controllers and an optional Universal Media Remote with Windows® XP Media Center Edition Button for Media Center Edition functionality

Support for Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter via 802.11b, g and a

Interactive, full screen 3D visualizers

Two memory unit ports to save data on portable memory units, starting at 64 MB

Detachable Face so each console can be personalized

Parental Controls to restrict the games and movies that are played; Xbox Live controls to manage Friends List, voice and video communication, and Gamer Profile sharing.

I've already reserved mine with Perfect Dark Zero. :)

Microsoft launched yet another cannonball into the looming next generation battlefield with huge commitments and by confirming major deals to secure the potential lead it needs to foist competitor Sony Computer Entertainment from its leading market position.

At its pre-E3 new conference, Microsoft confirmed three major milestones: Japanese RPG giant Square Enix will create role-playing games for Xbox 360, starting with Final Fantasy XI with full Xbox Live compatibility. The game's content will remain the same, but obviously the graphics will see immense changes and improvements. Additional Square Enix games will follow.

"We're honored that Square Enix will make games like Final Fantasy XI for the millions of Xbox fans who have anticipated this historical moment for quite some time," said Robbie Bach, senior vice president and chief Xbox officer in the Home and Entertainment Division at Microsoft. "Together, we will chart a new course for the future of video game entertainment."

"Xbox has become a major force in video-game innovation, and we couldn't be more captivated by the Xbox 360 canvas," said Yoichi Wada, president of Square Enix. "As the world's first cross-platform online game with more than 500,000 users, 'FINAL FANTASY XI' will take advantage of the incredible power of the Xbox 360 platform, immersing gamers in spellbinding stories that come to life in high definition and through collaborative online gameplay."

Xbox 360 officially will be backward compatible with the prior system's top-selling games, said Microsoft's Vice President Peter Moore. Microsoft will pick and choose only the most popular Xbox titles from its huge backlist of games and will most likely use emulator software for those limited titles.

Microsoft and Electronic Arts will continue their working relationship into the future with the largest commitment of games at launch in console history. In development for Xbox 360 are Need For Speed: Most Wanted, The Godfather The Game, Madden NFL 2006, NBA Live 2006, Tiger Woods PGA Golf 2006, FIFA Soccer 2006, and more. EA currently has 25 games in development for Xbox 360, with more to come.

Microsoft 's first- and second-party development teams are running full force with Epic Game's Gears of War , Rare's Kameo: Elements of Power and Perfect Dark Zero , MGS's Project Gotham Racing 3 , Phantagram's Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes , Mistwalker's Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey , and Q Entertainment's Ninety-Night Nights . Gamers will also be able to experience a host of games from third-party publishers, including Call of Duty 2, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Dead or Alive 4, Dead Rising, The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Full Auto, Saint's Row, Test Drive , and Quake IV .

There are more than 160 in development for Xbox 360 from first-, second-, and third-party teams. Namco, Konami and Capcom ( Dead Rising ) are officially supporting the console as well.

Microsoft plans to launch its console with between 25 to 40 Xbox 360 games using a launch window that spans the first 90 days from launch. Neither the launch date and nor the price were revealed.

Following these three pillars of huge import, Microsoft balanced its Xbox 360 news with strong support for the Xbox 1. Moore announced Microsoft will have 2 million Xbox Live Subscribers by fiscal year end (June). The system will have more than 300 multiplayer titles by year's end, and 200 titles in full on the system by end of the year, with hundreds more in development for 2006. Games such as Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, Star Wars Battlefront II and Burnout Revenge will appear on Xbox Live.

These are just the first details from Microsoft's news conference. So don't fret, we'll have more details very, very soon.

This is what bothers me...

Xbox 360 officially will be backward compatible with the prior system's top-selling games, said Microsoft's Vice President Peter Moore. Microsoft will pick and choose only the most popular Xbox titles from its huge backlist of games and will most likely use emulator software for those limited titles.

I don't think Panzer Dragoon Orta or Shenmue II is one of those titles... :(

Hopefully Dead or Alive 3 though. :)

As soon as a price is set I'm going in to reserve one along with Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo, Project Gotham Racing 3, and whatever else is available at launch. I love Perfect Dark and I'm totally confident that it will be awesome. if Rare can't make a great game after four years of development then my faith in humanity will be lost. This is probably my most anticipated of the new consoles because it seems to have the most most interesting software so far.

I am guessing the PS3 to be the weakest of all 3 consoles by far in all aspects but 3rd party support, which I see shifting to M$. The revolution better have all-out online support and shit, if not, they are out of the market. Nintendo really needs to pull their heads out of their asses, guess we'll see....

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Mon, 2005-05-16 @ 10:21 PM

I am guessing the PS3 to be the weakest of all 3 consoles by far in all aspects but 3rd party support, which I see shifting to M$. The revolution better have all-out online support and shit, if not, they are out of the market. Nintendo really needs to pull their heads out of their asses, guess we'll see....

[post=134144]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm pretty sure PS3 will spank all others hardware-wise, although it really doesn't matter. They are all powerful and developers won't fully utilize any of these new consoles for years.

ya, power wise I am not worried about. they all seem even enuf. BUT XBox live (even though I don't like it) owns the online market, hands down. Sony need s to get their own service and make an ame for it, even if free they need to do it. The big N needs to support online play fully, with all their titles. all that are applicable atleast.

the controller....so far the xbox one looks best. don't knwo till you test play and we don't know what the big N has in store but I don't have my hopes up, lol. have lost faith in the last few years.

The backwards compatability doesn't surprise me. All along it was rumored to work through emulation. Where as sony has the essential parts of a PS 1 in the PS 2. Any word on how backwards compatable the PS3 is gonna be? Just PS2 or will it include PS 1?

It's set to include PS1 compatibility as well, although I'm guessing it'll be through software emulation. Hopefully they can improve the compatibility and give us some nicer rendering options for PS1 games this time around.

The PS3 will run both PS2 and PS1 games. PS1 being emulated in the BIOS (remember they "bought" VGS from Connectix few years ago?).

Microsoft are gonna have to be careful here...if they start losing as much as they did on the Xbox ($3.5 billion or something like that) they might just fall out. Yeah, 3.5 bill is peanuts to them, but it seemed like they're taking on the idea of the Xbox being more of a "home media system" than a simple console.

I'm interested to see where and how they take things with it...but I'm still and always will be, firmly backing up Ninty and the Revolution.

Interesting to note that the Xbox 360 is concave shaped while the PS3 is convex shaped. Makes me wonder if the concavity of the Xbox 360 fits the convexity of the PS3 if you put one on top of the other. :lol:

I finally got mine pre-ordered with Perfect Dark Zero.

I think it will be interesting to see how it does in the East. Supposedly there is going to be a big suprise related to the Xbox 360 in Japan announced soon. Aside from Tecmo, and getting Q Entertainment, Mist Walker, and Square Enix on board, I don't see what else they could do. I'm looking forward to hearing what it is.

I'm heavily considering cancelling my pre-order of XBox TiVo for 'Cube stuff.

Let's compare software...

TiVo:

Perfect Dark Zero (Yes, I love Perfect Dark, but I'm getting damn tired of FPS games. It's got nothing on Distruptor).

Dead or Alive 4 (VF is my heart, soul, blood, everything, You all know that. :D DOA gets old after awhile anyway).

GameCube:

Resident Evil 4 (Beaten it more times than I can count, and I'm STILL not bored).

Killer 7 (Mere words cannot describe how godly this game is).

Twilight Princess (Game of The Year most likely, although RE4 should get it. Looking forward to it, but not nearly as much as the next game...)

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Been dying for it since it's announcement).

Odama (Hello! Pinball/Strategy game using microphone to shout commands at your troops, and using pinball to kill everyone? FUCKING HELL YES!).

Mario Baseball (Looks fun as hell. Can't wait).

Mario Strikers (Mario Soccer baby! Whoo!).

Geist (I'm tired FPS, but this looks great. Let's see how it compares to my beloved Disruptor).

Yes RE4 is already out, but I'm still playing it to death, so I counted it.

All those games for 'Cube will keep me plenty busy until Revolution arrives.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Fri, 2005-07-01 @ 08:35 PM

I'm heavily considering cancelling my pre-order of XBox TiVo for 'Cube stuff.

Let's compare software...

TiVo:

Perfect Dark Zero (Yes, I love Perfect Dark, but I'm getting damn tired of FPS games. It's got nothing on Distruptor).

Dead or Alive 4 (VF is my heart, soul, blood, everything, You all know that. :D DOA gets old after awhile anyway).

GameCube:

Resident Evil 4 (Beaten it more times than I can count, and I'm STILL not bored).

Killer 7 (Mere words cannot describe how godly this game is).

Twilight Princess (Game of The Year most likely, although RE4 should get it. Looking forward to it, but not nearly as much as the next game...)

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Been dying for it since it's announcement).

Odama (Hello! Pinball/Strategy game using microphone to shout commands at your troops, and using pinball to kill everyone? FUCKING HELL YES!).

Mario Baseball (Looks fun as hell. Can't wait).

Mario Strikers (Mario Soccer baby! Whoo!).

Geist (I'm tired FPS, but this looks great. Let's see how it compares to my beloved Disruptor).

Yes RE4 is already out, but I'm still playing it to death, so I counted it.

All those games for 'Cube will keep me plenty busy until Revolution arrives.

[post=136142]Quoted post[/post]​

If you've got the money, you should go both ways. Playing versus 50 people on Perfect Dark can't be missed, Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Conker Live & Reloaded were dissapointments, so I can't wait for a good game fom Rare.

I was slightly concerned to see Killer 7 getting some terrible reviews, but then again P.N.03 got dragged through the mud too, and that's supposedly still a good game--that one is still on my list to play. Yoot Saito's Odama and Fire Emblem look promising but I don't think the Mario sports games will be any good. Mario Tennis on Gamecube didn't have the nearly the depth and difficulty that the N64 version had. Geist, eh, it could be good.

Originally posted by berserker

Microsoft are gonna have to be careful here...if they start losing as much as they did on the Xbox ($3.5 billion or something like that) they might just fall out. Yeah, 3.5 bill is peanuts to them, but it seemed like they're taking on the idea of the Xbox being more of a "home media system" than a simple console.

I'm interested to see where and how they take things with it...but I'm still and always will be, firmly backing up Ninty and the Revolution.

The way I see it is MS looked at the mod community and noticed everyone hacked their XBOX mainly for media center capabilities. They even supported the XBMC community. I guess this time they decided just to harnass that and give it to everyone outside of the mod community, maybe even get some people not even mod. (i.e. myself, thats all I used the mod chip for. But then I'm not even buying one.)

I have to give it to MS, they actually really do listen to their customers... or maybe its because they are america based and cater to us where the Jap based consoles cater more to them. (i.e. Saturn vs. 32X, most games not coming over here, bad translations when they do, among MANY other things)

When SEGA fell out personally I began to back MS (well for a lil' while I didn't, then I got an XBOX and was rather wowed by what I could do with it in the mod community). Sony aughta die, the big N (whom I've hated for years) aughta get their heads out of their asses and start doing what they USED to do, and MS should keep going how they are going. They can take the losses (the XBOX only loss mega money the first two years of sell) and take the fact they can afford it to get their consoles into every home. All they gotta do is start catering to one last group, where the hell are the RPGs!!!??? (not Fable, not that crap, I'm talkin' like PS with its FF style ones)

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Fri, 2005-07-01 @ 08:35 PM

[post=136142]Quoted post[/post]​

Sounds awesome!! :p

I'll also be getting the XBOX 360 the day it comes out. I've been saving up a little bit of money for the last few months for it, and will be saving for 3 1/2 or 4 more months, to make sure I can afford it...

Back