Yep.. a PSX ?..

Status
Not open for further replies.
.. well.. you guys can't play ALL Sega systems ALL the time ;)

Anyway.. it's kind of a simple question. Can anybody tell me what some of the "protected", "stealth" games are for the PSX? You know.. the later games that could only be played with a "stealth" chip as opposed to the older ones? I need to know for "testing" purposes. Was Chrono Cross, Mana or Dragon Warrior VII one of them? Thanks.

Negative on Chrono Cross, it never gave me any problems.

I know some of the Spyro the Dragon games wouldn't work out of the box for me, and a few EA Sports NASCAR games. Other than those, I never ran into many chip-detecting games.

Funny thing is, my chip was supossed to be stealth. They upgraded them like eight or nine times, and unless you upgraded, the newer games would be able to find your chip.

Rather than upgrade my chip, I would just make a backup of the game, and apply a patch to it before burning the backup. I forget where I was getting the patches, been a while since I got any PS1 games, and I don't know how new the chip is in the PS that I have now.

There are a bunch, and it depends on which region you get them for, and IIRC sometimes which manufacturing run also. I know from personal experience that Legend of Dragoon was anti-mod (only game that ever gave me trouble), and IIRC one of the Dino Crisis games introduced one of the new protection methods. In some cases you may be able to find AR/GS codes to patch out the protection routine...

Originally posted by ExCyber@Feb 22, 2004 @ 07:45 PM

IIRC one of the Dino Crisis games introduced one of the new protection methods. In some cases you may be able to find AR/GS codes to patch out the protection routine...

sometimes i wonder if what i say shows up half the time :D

OK.. thanks guys. Actually.. I already have a bunch of PSX games gotten off Usenet. The only reason I was asking is that I now have 2 modded PSXs. My 1st; oldest one (for me) is an SCPH-9XXX version and ratfish said he didn't think it had a "stealth chip" in it. It's never given me any problems; so to speak, playing anything I throw at it yet except that sometimes it skips a little on FMVs (Chrono Cross & Dragon Warrior VII.. to name a few.). Turning it upside down almost always fixes that. However.. I just bought a model 7XXX version that the seller told me DOES have a stealth chip in it; but he said he honestly didn't know if he'd ever tried a "protected" game in it since he didn't know what ones they were. It plays all of my back-ups and commercial CDs flawlessly.. even the ones that gave me trouble on my first modded PSX. I just wanted to know what games were DEFINITELY protected so I could test it out for sure. Does anybody know HOW a protected game actually works/fails? In other words.. for example.. I have a store-bought copy of Wild Arms 2 (the only one mentioned so far that I have). If I make a back up of it.. is that where the copy protection would show up? Or does it just not play on a modded PSX WITHOUT a "stealth chip"? Thanks to all for your time & attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back