Zelda Categorization Issues

metal_gameboy said:
I was just wondering why every website on the internet doesn't have the same classification for each individual game.

Well, if you weren't phased with my previous response to that question, then perhaps this answer will suffice:

Since no "legitimate source" containing 'agreed on' definitions exist, websites authors have to resort to defining their own genres (or asking fellow members to do so), which results in varying responses, and decisions; since their definitions are influenced by many trivial things, such as perspectives, themes, and, alas, "elements".

I'm sure your not alone in wishing for such things. In fact, I recall another user on this site shared the same feelings.

Zheræ said:
The SNES metroid? Yeah but what does it have to do with Zelda?
The gameplay relates to Zelda, as it is apart of the same genre. So, I thought perhaps you may like it. Of course, it's a long shot, as 'quality' of a game has more influence over people's preferences. For instance, I enjoy Street Fighter, and dislike Brutal: Paws of Fury :p.

Zheræ said:
RPG's are really not my choice of games.
Same here. Funnily enough, I also enjoy Super Mario RPG (as opposed to many others). I wonder what the common link is? :lol:

Zheræ said:
BTW Nintendo says that Zelda is an Adventure game so that puts a end to the debate
I'm not trying to be offensive, but believing that Zelda is an Adventure game just because Nintendo says so, is like believing God exists because the Bible says so. I addressed this in my first post of this thread.

Regardless of what Nintendo say, this debate is pretty much over, as the thread starter states he knows how to define genres (but I still question his credibility if he still believes Zelda II and Shining Force are RPG's :p).

Okay, not getting into great detail and not trying to prolong the arguement, but I still feel some things are unanswered.

CrazyGoon said:
Well, if you weren't phased with my previous response to that question, then perhaps this answer will suffice:

Since no "legitimate source" containing 'agreed on' definitions exist, websites authors have to resort to defining their own genres (or asking fellow members to do so), which results in varying responses, and decisions; since their definitions are influenced by many trivial things, such as perspectives, themes, and, alas, "elements".

I'm sure your not alone in wishing for such things. In fact, I recall another user on this site shared the same feelings.

Once again, I think it's hightime somebody made such a database because all of us resort to different arguements that not everyone can agree on and such a database would get our facts straight.

And I'm glad I ain't alone. I'm sure there is more people out there that would also feel the same, and I'm sure they might make a database like that in the near future.

CrazyGoon said:
Regardless of what Nintendo say, this debate is pretty much over, as the thread starter states he knows how to define genres (but I still question his credibility if he still believes Zelda II and Shining Force are RPG's :p).

Not starting another debate here, but I never said Zelda II is an RPG; I said it might be considered an RPG, but I call it an Action/ Adventure title. I did say Shining Force is an RPG only because it is and a whole bunch of others would agree :p .

Done now, we are repeating ourselves because we won't listen to each ohter. Who's right? Who's wrong? Doesn't matter because we would debate that as well.

CrazyGoon said:
Zheræ said:
BTW Nintendo says that Zelda is an Adventure game so that puts a end to the debate
I'm not trying to be offensive, but believing that Zelda is an Adventure game just because Nintendo says so, is like believing God exists because the Bible says so. I addressed this in my first post of this thread.

Well Nintendo did make the game so they must know a thing or two :p

Back