Resident Evil vs Silent Hill

Cloud121

Established Member
Hm.. I never actually played Silent Hill. I played it for about five minutes max, and I was too disturbed to keep playing.

RE just plain scares the hell out of me, but hey, at least I can play it! :lol:

Leon > ALL!

RE4 = Game of The Year 2005

I've played every Resident Evil, and about 10 minutes of the original Silent Hill. Biohazard by default for me.

I vote Silent Hill; it has a much creepier atmosphere and doesn't just rely on cheap thrills like RE. Also, the puzzles are often more difficult and more engaging. But I like both a lot.

Silent Hill, this poll should not even exist. If you do not vote for Silent Hill, it is because you never played it.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Jul 23, 2004 @ 03:30 PM

If you do not vote for Silent Hill, it is because you never played it.

That covers my vote for RE. :lol:

Both games have their merits,

Silent Hill for its creepiness,

Resident Evil for its action.

I like Silent Hill 2 best (havent played 4 yet) and out of the RE series i like Remake the best and probably enjoyed it the most compared to SH2.

I played the demo for the first Silent Hill, and I just didn't like it. The fog irritated me more then scaring me and the aiming system for the gun seemed awful. I do like the soundtracks to the Silent Hill games a lot though.

I generally prefer quick scares over a creepy atmosphere in a horror game anyway so Resident Evil gets my vote.

No horror game has beaten the bit in the magic mirror room in RE2 for me.

My vote only goes to Resident Evil because I get motion sick playing Silent Hill. I never got a chance to play Silent Hill 1 or 2 for very long because of it.

I think its hard to compare them, very different games. Its like comparing The Ring (Ringu) with Friday the 13. Res Evil is great for action, but not scary and definatly no hard at all. Silent Hill is creepy and scary. Their are better puzzles, and a better storyline. The action is also considerably less.

If I picked a favorite, I would go with Silent Hill.

I played the demo for the first Silent Hill, and I just didn't like it. The fog irritated me more then scaring me and the aiming system for the gun seemed awful. I do like the soundtracks to the Silent Hill games a lot though.

The reason your character doesn't aim well is that he's just a normal guy who's never fired a gun before. He's not a police officer like most of the characters in RE. That is to say, the bad aim is intentional.

Originally posted by it290@Jul 23, 2004 @ 04:05 PM

The reason your character doesn't aim well is that he's just a normal guy who's never fired a gun before. He's not a police officer like most of the characters in RE. That is to say, the bad aim is intentional.

Maybe so, but I just couldnt get to grips with it and died repeatedly in the demo. Hence I never bothered to get the game.

Originally posted by it290@Jul 23, 2004 @ 11:05 AM

This I love about Silent Hill, you are just a normal person, and not a high-rank policeman who knows how to use grenade launchers and has a .357 in each hand.

Originally posted by axelblazeadam@Jul 23, 2004 @ 06:42 AM

I generally prefer quick scares over a creepy atmosphere in a horror game anyway so Resident Evil gets my vote.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the ONLY part of RE2 that gets me. I ALWAYS know when it's coming, I play it out in my head everytime, but it still gets me.

I've beaten RE2 over five times... and everytime.. :lol:

Now Mr. X on the other hand... *runs and hides* :unsure:

About being your character being able to use a gun right away....

How could Claire? ;)

Okay, maybe Chris taught her in his spare time or something...

Originally posted by Cloud121+Jul 23, 2004 @ 02:58 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cloud121 @ Jul 23, 2004 @ 02:58 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-axelblazeadam@Jul 23, 2004 @ 06:42 AM

That's the ONLY part of RE2 that gets me. I ALWAYS know when it's coming, I play it out in my head everytime, but it still gets me.

[/b][/quote]

You two are missing out :) Claire Scenario 2 kicks :devil

What's so great about Claire B? Mr. X?

That's the reason why I DON'T play the B games! :ph34r: :eek: :unsure:

The official way to play the game, is Claire A, then Leon B. The rest of the series is based of those events.

Originally posted by CrazyGoon+Jul 24, 2004 @ 07:26 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrazyGoon @ Jul 24, 2004 @ 07:26 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Cloud121@Jul 23, 2004 @ 02:58 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-axelblazeadam
@Jul 23, 2004 @ 06:42 AM

You two are missing out :) Claire Scenario 2 kicks :devil[/b][/quote]

I'm not missing out I've played all Scenario's many times. Mr X, the lickers and the scenario system make RE2 the best in the series IMO.

Originally posted by Cloud121+Jul 24, 2004 @ 02:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cloud121 @ Jul 24, 2004 @ 02:32 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>The official way to play the game, is Claire A, then Leon B. The rest of the series is based of those events.[/b]

Who says playing Claire A then Leon B is the "official" way of playing the game?

As far as I know, the reason why there are two scenarios for each character is because of the separation of the two characters at the beginning of the game. One ends up on one side of the flames (Scenario A) and the other ends up of the other side (Scenario B).

Scenario A is the one everyone who has played RE2 has experienced, but I guess many didn't think B would have been much different. The more I played scenario B, the more surprised and delighted I was, as I explored many differents locations which were not available in Scenario A. It's like a whole new game, almost :)

And just to clarify - The events that took place in Scenario A and B are the same. It's just you see them at different times ;)

<!--QuoteBegin-axelblazeadam
@Jul 24, 2004 @ 04:42 AM

I'm not missing out I've played all Scenario's many times. Mr X, the lickers and the scenario system make RE2 the best in the series IMO.[/quote]

Sorry then. You didn't find parts of Claire B scarier than the mirror bit? :blush:

When the game Silent Hill first came out my friend played it all alone one night... couldn't play it again, he about shit a brick. WUSSY. So one night me and my other buddy crawled around on our knees with knives in hand. mumbling crazy wails like ghost babies, and my buddy FLIPPED. It was great, never seen someone so creeped by a game. I stopped though, cause the kid got a hold of a plastic knife. Kis evil with those, you think plastic aint deadly, this fucker got The School of Arts here in West Palm to ban plastic knives.

That is what started my love for the series Silent Hill.

I concur that RE2 is the best game in the series. I also like Code Veronica, but RE3 was a total letdown for me. I haven't played Zero yet.

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Jul 24, 2004 @ 12:47 PM

Sorry then. You didn't find parts of Claire B scarier than the mirror bit? :blush:

The licker bit is just the part which sticks out most in the memory for me. I agree that some parts of the B games were just as scary. Mr X in the room with 3 fires in particular, in fact most of Mr X's apperances were pretty scary.

I loved the way they surprised you in the B game in rooms which were previously secure in the A game. Hell even the ending wasn't secure in the B game.

Back