Sega's "explosive" E3 announcement

Originally posted by antime+May 13, 2004 @ 08:40 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(antime @ May 13, 2004 @ 08:40 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Reinhart@May 13, 2004 @ 10:05 AM

Can we say : another mistake from Sega ?

Rather "another mistake on the part of hysterical fanboys". [/b][/quote]

hmph... antime wins a cookie.

Originally posted by antime+May 13, 2004 @ 03:40 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(antime @ May 13, 2004 @ 03:40 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Reinhart@May 13, 2004 @ 10:05 AM

Can we say : another mistake from Sega ?

Rather "another mistake on the part of hysterical fanboys". [/b][/quote]

I somewhat disagree. You figure it's Sega, a well known company, and not one to pull cheap tricks like this. They were finally starting to make money, and rumors of business deals with multiple well-known and respected companies were flying around even before this announcement was made. So yeah, maybe our hopes were up high a little, but something labeled as "explosive" is going to generate interest. It was entirely possible it could be a new console, or a new direction for Sega.

But no, it was another MMORPG. That right there is nothing special. Add the fact that it's based on a triology that (as a whole) sucks more than the new Star Wars movies, it's clear that Sega abused the English language and took advantage of a loyal fanbase. Yes, everyone had their idea of what it was. I know the people at Shenmue Dojo were POSITIVE it was Shenmue III. Everyone saw what they wanted. But it's not the fact that it didn't meet our expectations, but that it wasn't even an event worth mentioning, let alone massively hyping. It's the boy who cried wolf. Next time Sega says they have something big up their sleeve, who's going to care?

Whatever. Absorb everything out of the rumor mill, despite it being stated that it had been blown way out of proportion. Also, they said it would not be something interesting to Sega hardcore. So all joking aside, I didn't think it'd be anything important to me. I sure as heck wouldn't have guessed it, so they got that part right. I'm also glad that they are getting some experience with MMORPGs - no, PSO was not an MMORPG, it's one M short.

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@May 14, 2004 @ 05:09 AM

I thought the new PS game was more of an announcement than Matrix Online...

So did I - but we're really Sega fans, and that interests us a lot more than Matrix Online. In closing, they've got something for everyone, so put all whining in a box and ship it to someone that cares. :p

Back