2.5D games for the SEGA SATURN

I remember one game for the SS similar to Shinobi made in 2.5D for the SS but I don't remember its name. It looked very good. Perhaps making 2.5D was the solution for the SS in order to create extremely polished games instead of trying to use full-3D engines.

Does anyone remember 2.5D games for the SS ¿?

Originally posted by shinhoshi@Feb 26, 2003 @ 10:50 AM

I remember one game for the SS similar to Shinobi made in 2.5D for the SS but I don't remember its name. It looked very good. Perhaps making 2.5D was the solution for the SS in order to create extremely polished games instead of trying to use full-3D engines.

Does anyone remember 2.5D games for the SS ¿?

I think you're talking about Psychic Killer Taromaru, it's a good game. There are some "2.5D" games for the Saturn, most of them platformers: Clockwork Knight, Bug! (it's more 2D than 3D), Pandemonium, The Lost World...

You might mean Raycasting engines. Like Duke Nukem 3d, the pc version, is acctually a 2.5D engine, you cant really look up and down, its faked. It only draws the screen upwards and stretches it. The Saturnversion though, uses Lobotomys Powerslave engine, which is a real 3D engine (you can have levels over levels, look around freely and so on). Some Saturn FPS games like Alien Trilogy uses a 2.5D raycasting engine.

I hope you're not planning on buying a copy of Taromaru
smile.gif

I don't know why we don't see more 2.5d platformers, it seems logical to me for series' that don't translate well to 3d. Strider 2 and the new Contra are great examples. Apparently the new Castlevania will be made this way too, which would probably tempt me to buy a PS2. Megaman X7 is also going to be 2.5d.. Not related to Saturn, but never mind
smile.gif

Originally posted by Daniel Eriksson@Feb 26, 2003 @ 10:20 PM

You might mean Raycasting engines.

It's probable -although I don't remember any FPS similar to Shinobi- because he says that they don't use full-3D engines and the games I mentioned DO use 3D polygons.

BTW, I'd say that Alien Trilogy uses real 3D. Anyway, I'm not sure because it's been ages since I last played it
rolleyes.gif

When I said 2.5D I was refering to side-scrollers made of polygons. It is a very good method to make games that look very good and play very smooth.

Just to name another example on another different system I would name Goemon 2 on the N64. Most part of N64 games don't play very smooth because of the limitation that had the system on pushing polygons. However, Goemon 2 plays very smooth and has very good graphics.

Originally posted by shinhoshi+Feb 26, 2003 @ 11:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shinhoshi @ Feb 26, 2003 @ 11:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>When I said 2.5D I was refering to side-scrollers made of polygons. It is a very good method to make games that look very good and play very smooth.

Just to name another example on another different system I would name Goemon 2 on the N64. Most part of N64 games don't play very smooth because of the limitation that had the system on pushing polygons. However, Goemon 2 plays very smooth and has very good graphics.[/b]

Ok, that's what I thought
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Myname@Feb 26, 2003 @ 11:48 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-MTXBlau
@Feb 27, 2003 @ 06:35 AM

Steamgear Mash. Very fun game.

I thought Steamgear Mash was isometric.. Might well be wrong though.
[/quote]

You're not wrong, it's isometric
rolleyes.gif

I think its fair to say 2.5D = 2D animations sprites with 3D backgroungs (with/out 3D animations likes the bosses in Cotton 2).

Taromaru is 3D ... or, actually, 2.5D in that it uses 3D effects when you go around corners etc.

And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Radiant Silvergun as THE 2.5D shooter yet.....

Which reminds me of Thunder Force V also, a true 2D shooter but it uses polygons to create 3D effects.

Sorry, this might be a little of topic.
blink.gif

Apparently the new Castlevania will be made this way too, which would probably tempt me to buy a PS2.

Myname: I sure hope you're right. But what is your source? I haven't seen any screenshots (it will be revealed; coming E3), and only read one interview with the producer (it was 2 years ago, but then he hadn't decided), and the new pressrelease (about 3 days old now) mentions nothing about the appearence of the game.

Originally posted by Taelon@Feb 27, 2003 @ 02:55 AM

And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Radiant Silvergun as THE 2.5D shooter yet.....

Which reminds me of Thunder Force V also, a true 2D shooter but it uses polygons to create 3D effects.

Yes, in this thread we've focused on 2.5D platformers, but some shooters are GREAT examples of 2.5d games. Thunder Force V is a good game but I bought it after having played RS... man, that game changed my conception of shooters forever
ohmy.gif

Originally posted by Twillinx@Feb 27, 2003 @ 05:26 PM

Myname: I sure hope you're right. But what is your source? I haven't seen any screenshots (it will be revealed; coming E3), and only read one interview with the producer (it was 2 years ago, but then he hadn't decided), and the new pressrelease (about 3 days old now) mentions nothing about the appearence of the game.

Source. Hardly official or anything, but it would seem logical after the failure of the N64 games and the good reviews for Contra.

Talk about people making a mountain out of an ant hill... The guy is asking for 2.5D platformers. Not shooters, or any other type of game. What is so difficult about that? Anyway, great 2.5D platformers: Clockwork Knight 1, Clockwork Knight 2, Pandemonium!, Bug!, & Skeleton Warriors. Some great normal 2D platformers include: Gex, Three Dirty Dwarves, Earthworm Jim 2, Astal, Scud: The Disposable Assassin, & Rayman.

Back