2 different saturns?

There is something about owning the actual machine that is just spiffy as hell, as compared to emulating. But if you're going to emulate.... s-video out and using an actual controller from the system you're playing can't be beat.

Originally posted by paul26000@Oct 22, 2003 @ 03:53 AM

So and you still say they suck, remembering to that some of the emulators are 100% the same game play???

The key word here is some. I wouldn't say that there are many emulators (if any) that can claim 100% accuracy.

it is imposible for it to be 100% the same... there are so many other factors. I could never be "fooled" by an emulator.

Well guys think we should agree to disagree :smash

But About that 100% thingy, you cant tell me that atleast the genesis and 32x AND sega cd play pretty damn close to the original, with the exeption of about 2% of all games.

And the original point been , lets keep the originals in good condition and use the emulators :cheers

Originally posted by paul26000@Oct 22, 2003 @ 05:16 PM

you can't tell me that at least the Genesis and 32x and Sega CD play pretty damn close to the original, with the exeption of about 2% of all games.

No, I wouldn't try to argue that - they are a fairly close approximation.

100% (as you first stated) would be another thing.

It would be interesting to run a console and an emulator side by side and see what you got...

100 % emulation is possible technically, but it'll not be viable on the performance side. The CPU needed to run it full speed (I speak for the Saturn, but I think it'll be the same thing for other hardware) isn't produced yet, and will not be until some years.

To quote Mame source (regarding the ST-V driver): "40Ghz CPU needed when the driver is complete".

So to gain performances, tricks are used (as detecting interruptions every XX instructions, instead doing it between each for example)

The accuracy isn't as good as on the real hardware, but it's barely noticable from the user point of view.

Some more techniques (as HLE) allow to gain a lot of performance, but the display accuracy suffers from the approximations (I'm thinking of UltraHLE)

Well i put the Emulator to the test!!!

I used GENS v2.11 against a UK megadrive/GENESIS on windows xp on an intel P4

I used sonic 1 as the test, Powered them both at the same time and managed to get em pretty darn close , anyway the two games run at the same speed , graphics look slightly better on the Genesis , think its cause on a tv the pic is slightly more blur ,and monitor having better pic showes up everything.

Sound is perfect

Im guna do it with some more games though to get a better idea.

Anyway this is a saturn forum is it not and to my knowledge there isnt a decent emulator for it yet, well i dont have a working 1 anyway :rant

I was thinking of connecting my PC to my TV, comparing monitor to tv isn't "fair". I can't stand the sharpness. On my TV I got 3 installmemories, so that I can adjust colors and brightness so that it looks like the signal is comming from composit (SP?) instead of RGB. Otherwise I can't stand to watch a NES game (for instance).

Of course the real system is always better, but in the future there won't be as many systems still working. So when I'm 80 years old and want to have a go with Psycho Fox maybe I won't have a working Master System, but pherhaps an emulator for my PC, maybe even 100% accurate. :)

All I have to do now is getting a set of controllers for my PC, and an S-VHS cable, and I'm ready to go.

I was also thinking of coding a GUI wich would basically be list of all the games (a database were I can select only to view c64 games, only SMS and so on) and selecting the name would start the game with the right emulator. Maybe joystickcontrolled, just for the convinience of not having to get out of the sofa (only remaining problem would be when I want to start a new game). ;)

I love the idea of been able to go down a list of games, choose the 1 you want and it automaticaly playes. If i had the first idea of how to program i would do this.

Oh well mabey some 1 else will invent such a program for all things SEGA. IMAGINE!!! any sega format, all in a list and double clicking on a game and it just starting, no emulator to startup, and configuar................

huh... you can do such a program by associating the rom files with their respective emulators and code a frontend with a fancy interface to list the files and launch the emus.

Throw the GoodRoms database system in, and you're set.

BTW, on the emulator thingie, it'll be very hard to do a comparsion with the real thing using a commom video card's TV out, since they seems to always output at 640x480 minimum. Even if you set the screen to the original console's resolution, the TV output will be scaled up. It'll always look sharper than the original console, and any blur added by filters will just be artificial.

But I think that MAME version that comes with a buncha TV-out-specific options might be able to produce better results... but I never used it.

Back