$25 Mystery Box

OK ratfish.. I'll bite. PM me today with your PP nym again (If that's the way you want to do it).

BTW.. excellent idea bud. I'm making up a similar box as I type. I'll give out some 'hints" later today as it's finalized. I'll stick to the $25 mark too.. that way I can keep adding more stuff to it in a couple of days. I can say right now everything works and those PC game boxes? Mine are filled. Maybe even a "special" DVD movie; heavier on the games but lighter on "systems" and I gots better chocolates! :yum (Hehe.. remember where I live guy?) :p

This really is a fantastic concept here guys. Just think.. how many gifts are you getting; where you DON'T know what your getting? Xmas like a "kid" again. Maybe there really IS a "Sandy Claws".

Don't say ANOTHER word though about the contents.. or it wouldn't be a mystery.

Okay, the box is gonna go out to Scorch56.

Anyone else who was thinking about it, Ammut (don't waste all your money, save some for after Xmas sales!), racketboy (should probably get rid of your stuff too before ending up with more assorted goodies), sorry guys.

I'm hoping more people do something like this, it's fun. We should have a SX gift exchange or something.

I plan on doing this again next year when Christmas rolls around, assuming I have accumulated more junk - I mean treasures. :D

Doh, missed it. This is a cool idea. Not to stray too much off topic and away from the Xmas spirit, but- if anyone has any Saturn Model 2 controllers that they're thinking about putting in a box like this.. sell me one for the love of god! ;)

:huh I thought I had first dibs? :(

The more you mentioned about the package the more I wanted it... if stack passes can I still have it? I :wub: random consoles...and surprises too :)

But anyways the Xmas exchange sounds like a great idea (though gifts would probably arrive after christmas unless we get evreything together quick). I also have a bunch 'o stuff that I could part with, I won't mention anything in particular in order to maintain the surprise aspect to it all.

and on a totally unrelated note...I see Lethal Illumni got banned...I guess I have to find the post that finally pushed Mal/Ice/Racket over the edge :D

---Ammut

Oh, sorry guys, yeah but if Scorch passes I'll let you know.

If I end up with more junk after Xmas is over, sometime in January, I'll put another package, I still have lots of stuff I don't really need, and guess what? I was just talking to an out-of-state friend that also has a bunch of video game junk he wants to send me! Fun times! :lol:

So to Ammut, it290, and racketboy, Caelestis, and anyone else who might be interested. Expect another mystery package sometime in January.

Ok guys.. my turn. I spent half of last night "weeding" through my collection and I came up with some great stuff. Right now.. all this stuff's sitting on my bed and it nearly covers it (must get SOME sleep..); there's not as many systems in my box.. but there's tons of more good stuff. I figure it's just as big and heavy as ratfish's.. so I'll stick to the $25 he was asking to ship as well. Sadly.. this limits me to a "stateside" shipment.. if you're in Canada.. expect to pay a bit more. I'd ship this stuff to our overseas brethren as well.. but you'd have to pay any shipping charges.

OK.. here we go. First off.. before there's any ?s let me say that this stuff is NOT junk. Everything is in clean.. working shape (save the DVD.. more on that later). As ratfish said in his post.. this is simply stuff that has been setting around taking up space for me as well. I could list all of this stuff seperately on some place like eBay and probably get 3 or even 4 more times $25 for it.. but I won't; and I haven't the time. Several of the items are worth $25 alone. You are simply paying for the postage essentially. I'm NOT making a dime off of this.

1 or 2 (1 1/2 if that's the way you look at it) consoles. 1 is clean and works; w/AC adapter (no cords or controls). The other is an "add-on" for a 16bit system; it's clean and works (comes w/AC adapter.. but again.. no cords). These are the kind of systems that sell for about $20 apiece in your local used vid game store (when you can find them) or for comparable on eBay. 13 video games (ranging from a DC game to some NES ones). 1 is a Saturn JAP import; 3 come with manuals; 1 is entirely complete (i.e. case, manual & CD). 1 of the SNES games is a Nintendo RPG with manual (NOT Square or Enix); a good game that recieved good reviews at the time. I thought I had some PC controllers laying around.. but apparently not; so I have some other PC stuff. One is a VERY unique "input" peripheral (not a mouse or KB); it scans "bar codes" and is brand new.. never used (My brother tested it out when he got his and it did work though). I'll admit.. this thing was a "freebie"; but it's a piece of " .com " history and if the site's still up.. was a novelty. I saw a site the other day that had "bar codes" of all the games on it. It would be great if you could scan the UPC on your game case.. and.. (the possibilities are intriguing). There is another I/O peripheral.. not much.. but still not a KB or mouse.. brand new (May come in handy for "online" gaming.). There is also an ISA card (If you have an older mobo or a legacy machine) that adds some "multimedia" capabilities to a PC that.. most likely.. most people don't have. 3 computer games; 1 factory sealed (circa around 94; "mech" genre.. not Mechwarrior though) MS-DOS CD-ROM game (this game originally came on 3.5"s; but the CD version is enhanced); 1 brand new "Sid Meier's" game with manual & JC (circa '95) W3.1 or 95. 1 W95/98 "space strategy" game (no manual.. but includes a "brief" guide).. essentially new.. was bought as a JC edition without a manual. 3 1st party console controllers; all different systems.. don't match the consoles. An RCA TV/VCR/Box universal remote w/manual.. very compact and "cute". 2 video game "black boxes" (No.. not an RFU unit either; although I'm tossing in one) that one can use to "enhance" the connections between their consoles and a TV. A Game Hunter unit for the PSX (look it up).. it's new.. and it works somewhat well.. but is dependent on a good strong laser in your unit. A "light gun" for a sega console (The BFG of all Sega guns.. that's a "hint"); it works and comes with any needed peripherals; no manual. A couple of "toys".. one is a "vintage" Disney "wind-up" toy.. the character appeared in a Genesis game.. I'm sure. 2 audio CDs.. one is a music soundtrack from a very obscure PC "mech" genre game. Brand new (came with the game).. never listened to it.. so I don't know what it's like; one of a kind; the game is OOP anymore.. and I REALLY mean OOP. The other is a 4 track "limited pressing" CD of a rock group purchased about 10 years ago in Reno, NV. I won't name them (You've probably never heard of them anyway as I believe they never "made it big".); but the case is unique and the CD artwork is pretty. Reminds me of the "Green Day"/"Smashing Pumpkins" sound. A couple of limited edition "pack-in" comics that came with a few PC games. Various "mini-guides" and loose manuals. A box and manual for a rather obscure PS2 "mech" game (NO CD included). I bought it off eBay.. then bought the game from Gamestop online for $13.. fully expecting the CD to be "loose"; but the game came complete for once.. so I don't need it. Buy the game for a comparable price and you have a rare game.. complete. 2 memory cards; a few " tchokoltes" [sic?] and some memorabilia.. plus some "stocking stuffers". A small PC networking "kit" and a "barely broken into" William Gibson novel (It gave me a headache around page 30.. no offense). Lastly.. the DVD.. here's the story behind this..

About 3 weeks ago.. my friend bought a home theater system. After setting it up.. we found ourselves down at the local dept store in the middle of the night looking for "test" DVDs. I saw that one of my favorite movies of all time had finally been released in an "enhanced" version (digitally remastered; THX certified; etc.) (no.. it's NOT Star Wars) so I snapped up the 2 DVD set. We got home and when I opened the DVD to put it in the player.. it slipped out of my hands and fell face down on the floor. I picked it up and looked at it; and noticed some little "curly cue" shaped light scratches on it. Not a whole lot mind you.. but when I tried it in three different DVD players.. it's scratched enough that it makes an "awful" screeching sound through your speakers during the opening of the movie (Could possibly damage them if it's turned up loud.) rendering it unplayable. The scratches are very light and cover about 1/4 of the first part of the DVD (They play inside-out). I'm convinced that one of those Disc or Game Doctors could fix this DVD easily.. but $30 for a $20 DVD seems pointless.. especially if I never need it again.. and in my dink-ass town.. no CD or game shops offer refinishing service; so in the box it goes.

So there you have it. That's my "mystery box". It's big.. it's got dozens of items in it; and even a few surprises.. not listed here. OH YEAH!!.. and the chocolates are to DIE FOR!

I'm not going to "quibble" over this guys.. and I doubt if I'll offer any more "hints". Let's just say that you won't be disappointed; and I'm not unloading my "garbage". I'm doing this in the "spirit of the season".. and I think ratfish had a great idea. It would be really cool if several more people got into this. It could be done several ways: people sell their boxes to whoever wants them.. first come.. first serve. We could establish a "chain" whereby the next buyer makes up his own box and offers it.. or people could actually "trade" their boxes. Anyway.. as I see it.. the whole idea is to get a "bargain" (and I know how much you SX guys LOVE bargains! ;) ); a "mystery" box whose contents are worth MORE than it cost to ship it. Like I said before.. you'll find several items that singely would cost the $25 alone.. so enjoy it.

I simply CAN'T guarantee you'll recieve your box by Xmas.. but put it this way.. if you send me the $25 through PayPal.. I'll get it out as quick as possible. Let's not hassle over shipping price or method.. essentially.. I will ship this box anywhere; anyway.. as long as the cost doesn't go over $25. If it does.. then you'll have to pay that as well (Free is FREE. I'm essentially giving this stuff away.. I CAN'T go in the hole over it though.). I'm sorry.. but I don't have a scale.. so I can't give you an exact estimate on shipping and I'm just assuming I have as heavy a box as ratfish (I believe it will have to be bigger).

So there it is. Enjoy.. and let me know if you'd like it. I'm in the same "fundage" dilemna as some of you younger guys are.. but I can't split a $25 payment over time.. or wait until you've acquired item "X" before you snag my item "Y".. especially if you want it soon. Nor will I "split" the items as I am offering all of this as a "gift" and not for profit. PM me; or something.

Pros: lots of good stuff; the "never used" DVD; the # of games; the GH and light gun

Cons: the # of "loose" games; the DC game sucks.

It's a $25 estimate, flat rate, not exact. At least that's what I'm guessing.

It might cost a little bit under or a little bit over $25, but my package was ~25 lbs. and it came to ~$25.

Originally posted by ratfish@Dec 15, 2003 @ 06:13 PM

It's a $25 estimate, flat rate, not exact. At least that's what I'm guessing.

It might cost a little bit under or a little bit over $25, but my package was ~25 lbs. and it came to ~$25.

Exactly. If it only costs $20.. then I'd keep the five for my troubles. If it costs $30.. then you'd have to pay me that.. plain & simple.

Look guys.. I know how skeptical and "frugal" you guys are.. but if you can't see the "deal" in this.. that's not my fault. I know ratfish.. I've bought from him before.. so of course.. I feel very safe sending him my money and after all.. he's NOT making anyrhing off this.. as am I.

Geez.. what's the world coming to? Is it SOOO hard to believe that someone has stuff that is relatively "useless" to them.. and they would rather "give it away" (literally) to someone who would enjoy it? Rather than chuck it into a land-fill or even worse yet.. sell it to a 2nd hand dealer for pennies and see him mark it up by 500% next week?

That's the way I feel about my stuff. My UPS and fedEX guys are located 20 miles on the other side of this town.. out by our airport (Remember.. I live in b*mf*ck). I'm really very sorry if I can't lug a box out to UPS or fedEX for an "estimate" to somebody's front porch every time someone's interested. I don't have access to a scale and the only way I can get a weight is to take it down to my local PO (closer) and have them give me a weight and estimates for the various postal methods. In which case.. I might as well be sending it through them. Besides.. last time I remember.. the postel service charges flat rates based on total weight; not how FAR it's going in the US (as opposed to the way UPS & fedEX do it).

To the post office.. it doesn't matter if the package is going one state away; or to the other side of the country. I could be wrong.. but I ship AOT of stuff via priority because of eBay; and I've NEVER gotten that kind of a break.

Here's a scenario.. let's say you live in Cali.. I live in Oregon. I MAY be able to send you the box.. somehow.. someWAY.. for $15. It's STILL going to cost you $25. Now you may live in Arkansas.. and priority would cost me $26 but I can get UPS ground for $20.. it's STILL going to cost you $25. Now you may live in New York.. and fedEX overnight would cost you $50.. but I can ship it parcel post for $32.. YOU.. have a choice $32 or $50.. kapisch?

The truth of the matter is.. it's an estimate.. and I think it's pretty close.. but I'm not going to promise it to anyone "written in stone". The truth is.. if you can afford $25.. but not $35.. you shouldn't even be considering this. I live from paycheck to paycheck just like the rest of you do. No matter WHAT the postage is.. the contents are essentially free. If the costs may outweigh the worth of this stuff to you.. just pass it by.. that's all that I'm saying. I really don't care if I part with this stuff or not.. it's that immaterial to me. I just thought it was a nice gesture.. like ratfish.

On a lighter note.. I'm now adding one other console I found (The base unit for the add-on).. bringing the total to 3. Once again.. it's clean and functional w/AC adaptor.. but no cords. I think the box is about finished now though; and this offers good for a limited time though. I'm doing this because IT'S XMAS. No.. I won't send this to you next year if no one wants it.

In my case, is more simple than that: to get that box shipped to Spain in a reliable way will be quite expnesiver, and anyway I'm just broke -fuck xmas- until end december/start january. So, people in the states, go for it quickly you lucky bastards! ;)

Ok, let me just say that I thought the original idea of a fixed $25 bucks from ratfish was reasonable.

Scorch56, I think you're getting a bit greedy. I think it's ruining the reason behind this mystery pack. If it costs $20 bucks, then you keep the $5 bucks, but if it costs $30 bucks, they have to pay you the extra $5?? Why is it $25 mystery then?? It should be your loss, because it is $25. You just want to win when you say this.....

Originally posted by Lyzel@Dec 16, 2003 @ 01:17 AM

Ok, let me just say that I thought the original idea of a fixed $25 bucks from ratfish was reasonable.

Scorch56, I think you're getting a bit greedy. I think it's ruining the reason behind this mystery pack. If it costs $20 bucks, then you keep the $5 bucks, but if it costs $30 bucks, they have to pay you the extra $5?? Why is it $25 mystery then?? It should be your loss, because it is $25. You just want to win when you say this.....

Sheesh.. Ok.. lets make this simple as possible. The $25 IS fixed. I will ship it ANYWHERE that $25 can take it. If you can find me a way to get it to Egypt for $25. I'll send it. NO.. I WON'T let you pay more for it to be sent anyplace.. anyway.. even if your geographical location makes it necessary; you can't have it.. you're SOL. Happy Lyzel? I probably just occluded about HALF the US and the rest of the world!

NOW it really is a "fixed" $25 mystery box. In fact.. it's SO fixed.. that if you live 10 miles south of me.. it's going to cost you $25 for me to drive it to you. Also.. I DO live in Oregon.. and if you live in Cali and it only cost me $20 to mail you.. you don't get the box for $20; it's $25. Get my point? Excuse me.. but that's what it seemed like some people expected to do to ratfish from the get-go. Everybody immediately starts wondering if they could get it to themselves cheaper than $25.

ferkryssakes people. It's a "TWENTY FIVE DOLLAR MYSTERY BOX" now. $25 will get it to you.. IF it can get it to you.

Listen.. I just sent ratfish $25. Now I know where ratfish lives (about 350 miles north of me) and so could you guys too.. if you knew where to look (my home's there as well). I could care less if ratfish puts the box on the back of his older bro's old VW; and drops it off to me next week on his way to a concert in SF next week with the box.. or if he takes it right down to a UPS store and lets them box it up for him and ship it overnight express and it cost $22 (it wouldn't.. of course; cause the UPS store gouges even more than UPS does.. it'd be WAY more). See what I'm getting at? And CERTAINLY.. the last thing I would ever expect ratfish to do is pay $35 to send it out; taking $10 out of his OWN pocket! You sure as hell didn't expect him to send it to France for $25 did you? His stuff may be useless to him.. but I'm sure it's a bargain to me (and a hell of a Xmas srprise).

I'm just trying to do the same; and I STILL say that's the whole idea of it. But anyway.. there it is.. I gaurantee you or anyone won't pay more than $25 for this box. It's up to the buyer to tell me how to send it though, for that much. I'll put it on a "slow boat to China" if you want. I've ordered import.. I know it's possible.

BTW Lyzel.. am I greedy if I were to pocket $3 out of $25 because when I got to the PO with the box with $50 (actually.. I think it's worth much more) worth of stuff in it.. it only cost me $22? Because that's the kind of logic I see in your assesment of me.

Back