32X spacers

I lost one of the spacers for my 32X that hold down the cartridge door. I've looked at www.sega-parts.com and they don't have them, and I want to play my 32X without having to go buy a new one. Anyone have these? Or know where I can buy em?

No.. it's used for the both model 1 and 2(my genny is a model 2) as far as I know. I don't have the manual for my 32X anymore, but I believe they referred to them as electromagnetic shields... but it's been years since I've even glanced at the manual so I could be completely wrong.

The spacer is only used for the model 1. I've got a model 2 and the 32x hooked right up to it without a spacer, it works fine...

If you open up your genesis (or just look inside the bay doors), you'll see the whole PCB is covered by a sheet-metal box. All you gotta do is rig something up to connect the shield plates on the side of the 32x cartridge-slot adapter (or whatever you call the bottom part of the 32x) to any part of the sheet metal box inside the genesis.

Yes. For clarity, he is talking about the shield plates, not the spacer.

Yeah, some guy who had a 32X repair page said you can run without them, but the same twit was saying how unstable the system was. Actually it was a pretty lousy repair page.

On my model 1 the 32X would crash fairly often until I got the shields. Model 2's are apparently the opposite - they don't need them (incidentally, when I purchased my Sega CD, for some reason, the shields that didn't come w/ my store-bought 32X was with the SegaCD from FuncoLand. What luck!).

You might not want to call the shields 'spacers' - there was actually a (plastic) spacer made for the 32X so it'd work with the Sega CDX, which bridged the 1/2" gap between the 32X and the CDX when it sat in the slot.

thnx for all the info.. I know the spacer you're talking about, I couldn't think of what to call the shields so I just tried to say something that someone would understand. I've come to the conclusion that my genesis must be messed up. I hooked up the 32X without the shields and all I get is a black or dark green screen, I tried unhooking it and got the same thing with my genesis. I might need to crack her open and clean it out and see if that does anything. The 32X is in mint condition so I know that can't be it, but the genesis is in not so good condition. I'll just say it was the last thing I ever let anyone borrow from me. I have another genesis coming in the mail soon though, only problem is it's a model 1. I have 2 32X's, though one is missing in action. But I'm only able to find the 2shorter shields, I have no idea to whether it makes much of a difference, I guess I'll find out when I get my new genesis in the mail. unless of course someone has the answer already.

Abou the spacer for the 32X & CDX, I'm fairly sure it was never released, because Sega flip-flopped and said you shouldn't be hooking the 32X up to the CDX. Some FCC crap - too many processors too close together or something.
blink.gif

Originally posted by snume@Mar 20, 2003 @ 08:22 AM

Abou the spacer for the 32X & CDX, I'm fairly sure it was never released, because Sega flip-flopped and said you shouldn't be hooking the 32X up to the CDX. Some FCC crap - too many processors too close together or something.
blink.gif

Perhaps not, but there is a plastic spacer. It's actually for Model 2 Genesis units. If you dont use it, its wobbly. Of course this is not related to the electromagnetic shields this thread was originally about. Even with my model 2 genesis, there are still issues if you don't have those shields.

Is there any place I can buy the shields?? Or does someone have an extra set?? Cause I cannot get my 32X workin', even on a friends genesis I get nothing but a black screen, with both genesis and 32X carts. If not I'mma have to go out and buy a whole 'nother unit.

Originally posted by snume@Mar 19, 2003 @ 12:22 PM

blink.gif

That is true, the FCC did say something about it.

Let me tell you an uninteresting story.

When I purchased my 32X from Service Merchandise when Sega officially pulled support for it, it did not come with the shields (this brand new, factory condition) but it did come with the spacer. And it came with three instruction sheets, and a registration card.

The first sheet were the instructions, how to operate the unit. The second sheet (yellow) told you how to attach the 32X to various Genesis models (1,2) and how to attach it with a Sega CD. It should be noted that this sheet did say you could not use the 32X with a CDX.

The last sheet were specific instructions on that plastic spacer and how to use it with a 32X and CDX combination. Here, you might realize this was quite confusing, as the instructions created quite a paradox. Until I read the addendum, which said something to the effect of the aforementioned FCC regulations.

Now, as for the shields, I called Sega, and they said you could buy them from them directly. I had the dumb luck of them being packaged with my SegaCD when I bought it later, so no big deal. Now, as for Mr. Moustache, I recommend trying to call Sega... if I recall correctly, someone on this board did call and in fact got them for free. If that doesn't work, I suggest you call the people at www.sega-parts.com. The number is on the site.

which spacer?? the oner for Gen 2 or CDX??

i was under the impression a spacer for the CDX was never released!

When I bought my 32X Brand New, had only been out a month, it came with 2 electomagnetic shield, that you fitted into each sidde of the cartridge slot, and it came with a 1cm spacer that you needed if you were using a model 2 genisis. And it came with 2 cables to loop the video from the genesis to the 32x. (you used 1 or both of those cables depending on what model you had). And if you had a CDX you had to order a different spacer, but was never released as everyone has been saying on the thread. And my 32X came with some adapter you pluged onto the expansion port of the genesis if you weren't using a SegaCD with it. I've played the 32X with and without this little adapter and it seemed fine to me? Does anyone know what the purpose of it was...

Originally posted by snume@Mar 27, 2003 @ 10:00 AM

which spacer?? the oner for Gen 2 or CDX??

i was under the impression a spacer for the CDX was never released!

Keeping in mind the day I bought my 32X was about 3 weeks after they pulled support, and it was the last one in the store...

But it wasn't 1cm, it was half an inch thick. Or something. It was thick.

perhaps.. but I know it did come with a spacer for the genesis 2 model... the only that I always wondered about... what was that adapter that pluged into the expansion port... what was the point of it...

Just to make everyone clear on the subject, I was referring to the electromagnetic shields.. I was simply at a loss of words of what to call them. I've called Sega and Sega-Parts, neither of them have any. But I don't think the shields are the issue with my 32X, I think something else is wrong since it's been said that you don't necessarily need the shields when using a model 2 gen.

Back