3D video card

somebody can recomend me a 3d video card to buy, cause i dont know much of hardware things.

I wanna be ready to play halo, mgs2, ut2003 and other upcoming games who need a really powerfull 3d engine.

smile.gif

thanks. :woah:

Gforce maybe the best option... I use my video card only for 3D mollecules and similar. Some moths ago I installed a Gforce III Ti500 and I´m very happy. But you should consider buy a Gforce 4 or a good Gforce 3, they are not very different, in fact, most of "normal" Gforce 4, except the high-end models, are slower than hi-class Gforce 3, and hi-class Gforce 3 and 4 have similar performance. I have tested both Ti500 and It´s difficult to notice big differences.

Originally posted by CHE@June 27 2002,14:41

Gforce maybe the best option... I use my video card only for 3D mollecules and similar. Some moths ago I installed a Gforce III Ti500 and I´m very happy. But you should consider buy a Gforce 4 or a good Gforce 3, they are not very different, in fact, most of "normal" Gforce 4, except the high-end models, are slower than hi-class Gforce 3, and hi-class Gforce 3 and 4 have similar performance. I have tested both Ti500 and It´s difficult to notice big differences.

very true -- good insight

Originally posted by Gallstaff@June 27 2002,16:01

lucky, i'm stuck with a geforce 2, although it's a good model still would like a geforce 3 or 4.

Hey that's better than me -- my home machine is a thinkpad with 2MB of an ATI mobile. That's in tandem with a 266 Pentium.
smile.gif

Nice machine as long as you don't want to do anything special. At least I have 192MB RAM so Win2k runs good.

just make sure to match the Video card, to your Processor.

if you only have a 300 Mhz processor, getting a top of the line GeForce4 Ti 4600 will be a waste of money, considering, a Geforce 2Mx will do the same things, saving you $350

If you have a Ghz processor, go ahead and get a Geforce3, Geforce 4's are way ahead, and cost a lot more, but no game yet makes use of any new features the Geforce4 has.

You probably want to wait for the R300 comes out by ati. Supposed to be kick ass.

Currently I have a radeon 8500 128mb in my work pc and a radeon 7500 64mb in my laptop and they play all the latest games without a problem.

I like my Abit Geforce 4 Ti4200 Siluro, I can overclock it to 4600 speeds if need be and it has video out/in. Very affordable too.

Originally posted by IceMan2k@July 08 2002,01:56

You probably want to wait for the R300 comes out by ati. Supposed to be kick ass.

Currently I have a radeon 8500 128mb in my work pc and a radeon 7500 64mb in my laptop and they play all the latest games without a problem.

I love my Radeon 64MB DDR. It's like a 7400, more or less. I play GTAIII @ 60fps on my Athlon 800Mhz. Without overclocking. And it has stellar DVD playback, TV in and Out.

The R300 is what Doom III was demo'd on @ E3. So it'll be monstrously fast. And most likely a lot less expensive than the GeForce cards.

To be honest, there are compatability problems w/ the provided ATi drivers. I never use them, so it never is/was a big deal for me - I go to www.rage3d.com and download my drivers. They're updated at least twice a week, and they generally have releases before cards come out (at least, they did w/ the 8500).

I know with my card, Fly! had compatability issues, as did Aquanox (built specifically for the Geforce). I just read about it, I never really cared for either genre, so I can't really comment on it. All the popular games (max payne, GTAIII, etc.) run absolutely fine.

If you're really concerned about money, the cost vs. performance ratio is very good for ATi.

If you want to avoid problems I'd definitely recommend getting a Geforce. Right now it seems like all games are designed for and tested on Geforce cards, with support for other cards being something of an afterthought. Of course the Geforce has its own share of problems (but then again, which card doesn't?), and you should be prepared to install a different set of drivers every week.

Personally I'm considering getting a Parhelia, but I'm strange like that.

Good question Hatecrime69, what are his system specs?

That will REALLY help us decide what is the best for him, what his system can handle.

Originally posted by IceMan2k@July 09 2002,12:28

Good question Hatecrime69, what are his system specs?

That will REALLY help us decide what is the best for him, what his system can handle.

Perhaps I'm unelightened in the subject, but all these new cards are backwards compatible with 2X AGP, so the worst that would happen is the video card would be waiting for instructions while the CPU chugged along, correct?

And he does want to play the newest games, so we can probably assume it's a decently fast system.

We can't assume it's a decently fast system just because he wants to play the latest games, we need to have him tell us. Yes all new vid cards are compatible with 2x and 4x. And yes, that's exactly what would happen your vid card will be chokeing for data that the cpu is haveing trouble giveing to it.

For a geforce 4 (NEVER consider the gf4mx a gf4 card, it isn't really, and don't consider it if your thinking of upgradeing, it is fine for current games but camerak himself of id software fame says it is a bad card for doom 3)

Edit: for a geforce 4 you ideally want a cpu over a gigahertz (hopefully 1.5ghz or above) to get the most out of it

if you only have an agp 2x slot which alot of the socket 370 boards have you would want to go ati since it can switch between 1,2, and 4x, nvidia only does 4x.

Nvidia isn't 4x olny, it does 2 and 4x

Edit: NO card on the market is 4x olny, they are all backwards compatible with 2x (sometimes not 1x, but if you have a mobo with that, a new video card won't help your gameing expirence)

Back