A few newb questions

Hey everybody. I'm a long time sega fan going back to days of my brand new Genesis. I recently pulled out my Saturn just to fiddle with and then I stumbled across this site. I thought that the Sega Consoles Underground was pretty much dead. It's good to see that it is still alive. Anyway, I recently broke down and bought a PS2 and put a mod chip (Magic 3.1) in. Then I found these Saturn mod chips and they seem pretty sweet. So I was just wondering where a good place to buy a Saturn mod chip is and if it is really as easy (compared to the magic anway
smile.gif
) as it looks to install. Also, any special info and what programs are good for copying / burning games? I know from my work with PS2 stuff that Clone CD is pretty good. Anyone used that for Saturn games? Heh anyway sorry for the long post but I look forward to messing with the ol' Saturn again. Thanks!

Spoon

Originally posted by spoonx0r@May 2, 2003 @ 09:01 PM

Hey everybody. I'm a long time sega fan going back to days of my brand new Genesis. I recently pulled out my Saturn just to fiddle with and then I stumbled across this site. I thought that the Sega Consoles Underground was pretty much dead. It's good to see that it is still alive. Anyway, I recently broke down and bought a PS2 and put a mod chip (Magic 3.1) in. Then I found these Saturn mod chips and they seem pretty sweet. So I was just wondering where a good place to buy a Saturn mod chip is and if it is really as easy (compared to the magic anway
smile.gif
) as it looks to install. Also, any special info and what programs are good for copying / burning games? I know from my work with PS2 stuff that Clone CD is pretty good. Anyone used that for Saturn games? Heh anyway sorry for the long post but I look forward to messing with the ol' Saturn again. Thanks!

Spoon

hey you know a pace where i can get my ps2 fitted with my magic 3.0?

as easy (compared to the magic anway ) as it looks to install

It's so much easier that there's no comparison - it would be more appropriate to compare it to a USB key mod. At a maximum you're looking at 2 wires (plus a flat flex cable, but that's easy) to connect - one of them doesn't require solder because you can stick it into the PSU connector, the other can be eliminated by linking two points on the modboard as described in mal's sticky post in the Saturn forum.

Also, any special info and what programs are good for copying / burning games? I know from my work with PS2 stuff that Clone CD is pretty good. Anyone used that for Saturn games?

Saturn needs nothing beyond what's provided by programs like CDRWin and Fireburner, and doesn't even really need that as the CD-ROM subsystem is extremely smart and doesn't tend to get real picky about disc layout. Something like CloneCD is just a waste of time for Saturn games unless it's got some kind of reliability/accuracy advantage for standard user data over the typical programs (been a while since I've looked at it).

Originally posted by ExCyber@May 6, 2003 @ 10:36 AM

... Saturn needs nothing beyond what's provided by programs like CDRWin and Fireburner, and doesn't even really need that as the CD-ROM subsystem is extremely smart and doesn't tend to get real picky about disc layout ...

Yeah, right.
rolleyes.gif
Actually the Saturn is VERY picky about the 2-second gap between tracks 1 (data) and 2 (audio), not to mention copying games with two data tracks can be a pain. Yes, technically CloneCD is overkill but I've used it for backing up original games as it's the most reliable and straightforward of all the copiers, AND one of the fastest. That's just my personal experience. Of course, for burning images it's useless, I grant you that.
smile.gif

Back