A little help

OK, here's my problem. Back in the day when I first purchased my Sega CD I was able to hook it up to my TV for surround sound because the TV was capable. Now I have a POS tv with no A/V hookups. I have been using my VCR for surround sound for my xbox and dreamcast. Anyway, I'm not too sure which A/V wires I need to be using. I have the 3 color coded ones on hand (yellow, red and white) and have tried them using only the white and red but; I am just getting the basic layer of the music through my floor speakers...the drum, symbols, and bass line of the startup screen. I'm guessing its because the yellow wire is not hooked up. For anyone who doesnt know....Sega CD only has plug-ins for red and white. By the way I have Version 2.0 of the side sliding Sega CD with the original big bulky genesis. Sorry if this is all confusing. I'm just rambling on here. I have it directly hooked up to the receiver. Would the purchase of just Red and White A/V cables solve this?? Or, wait....is red and white just audio or is it one cable for audio and for video? OKie this is just getting more confusing as I go on so I'm gonna leave it at that.

Thankies

I think I understand what you are saying.

The yellow wire you speak of is usually reserved for video and doesn't really apply here. The missing sounds are because you need to run a seperate cable from the headphone output jack on the Genesis to the "audio mix" socket on the back of the SCD.

This is because the Genesis provides most of the sound effects in game with it's own sound chips. If you get a Genesis 2, you don't need to do this bit - the sound is passed through to the SCD by the edge connector that connects the two consoles together.

Your right. I just figured out that red and white are left and right and yellow is video...lol. I'm a dumb female. Anyway, I have always been able to do it through my tv so I have never had this problem. Thats gonna look ugly too...dang. This wire...can it be any old wire because I have a set of Audio cables...red and white...that are not connected to each other so could I just use - say - the white one for the headphone jack and mixing cable? I think a wire was included with sega cd for that purpose but its been so long I would never find it.

Thankies

Annette

Well, nevermind on that. It just takes out the drums and bass line. Guess I'll have to pick up one of those wires from radio shack. Thanks

No problem. It's probably just as easy to buy a used Genesis 2 on eBay - no extra wires to worry about.
smile.gif

Yeah...seems so. With the durability, or lack of, with the genesis thats a shot in the dark. For now I have all layers of music coming through one floor speaker and just the drum and bass line coming through the other so I guess that will have to do for now.

Thanks babe

Annette

Back