A message from love

I saw Rollins in January, and he played a really good rocking gig, much better than the Misfits gigs I've seen.

I haven't liked much of the recent Rollins Band albums. Was gonna go see them in Sheffield.. I went to one of his spoken word things though, he's pretty funny but you do kind of feel obliged to laugh at his jokes when he's as big as he is. He can't even put his arms by his sides, they're that massive. And his neck's bigger than his head! anyone ever read his diaries from Black Flag, that 'Get In The Van' book?

Sample quote:

'Some guy came up to me after the show and said we played really good. So I smashed a bottle over his head. No-one talks to me after shows.'

2 days later:

'I feel pretty bad about doing that to the guy at the show. I am a useless, pitiful human being.'

I'm guessing life on the road does not agree with our Henry.

I've listened to almost all of his spoken word albums, but I have to say that he's more of a stand-up comedian nowadays. I've missed out on most of his albums, but "Get Some Go Again" from 2000 is IMO a great album.

And of course I've read "Get In The Van". It's a great book for reading cover to cover when you want to get depressed.

I like him in his role as spider in Johhny Neumonic .

Think hes a better actor than musician .

I would be willing to bet if you measured Henrys biceps vs Glenns think Glenns might be bigger , but Henry seems to have more of a propencity towards violence so dont know who'd win in a fight .

Misfits (proper) were around from 78-83 check out that link I posted (good history). I strarted listening to them in about 87-88 all the other kids in my groups liked them as well . As far as I know theve always had a cult following here in the states . MIB , the morgue dude was wearing a mifits shirt .

Remember that old 80's show misfits of science ? Didnt they sometimes wear the misfits skull ? Could be wrong .

Henry Rollins has got to be just as old .

Ever seen "Decline of the Western Civilization ?

This movie was made in ...I dunno 78 and Black Flagg was making a noise back then .

juz cuz he is old enough to be my father ( woulda be 26 when i was born ) doesn't mean that he can't be yummalicious.

his best album is still black aria.

*purr*

I like danzig lucifage best

Black Aria is the classical opera type music one right .

Think I have this in the car

Xavier, to answer your question about the Misifts box set -

there's very little "new" material in terms of unreleased songs, however the entire 3rd disc is full of unreleases outtakes/different studio sessions, and they're of extremely high quality. Great stuff for a fan, but for a causual listener, I'd say just stick with Collection I (the one with the Crimson Ghost skull on front).

The 4th disc is Static Age, one that iirc never saw a release, but has some very early Misfits stuff. You can get it seperately with an extra song, I think.

Re: jim993's "i never understood if misfits would be considered mainstream punk or not anyone know?"

The original Misfits, they're classic punk in my eyes, although in the US in the early 80s, everything punk was regarded as "New Wave", if not dangerous.

With their Earth A.D. album I'd say they helped define Mosh/ Hardcore (if not invent).

I think Danzig has a new album coming out in June or so.

The Static Age released in 1997 has better sound quality, IMO. They used different tapes than for the box version. (IIRC, the box version used Danzig's tapes that had been under his porch since the recording while the '97 release used Franche Coma's tapes that had been lying in a storage box for about as long, but were in a better condition.)

The '97 release has "In the Doorways" which hadn't been released previously, I think the song was missing from Danzig's tapes.

Oh dear here we go again...
tongue.gif
anyhoo

You cant really say that cos thats what they do for a living... you gotta keep that in sight.

cynicism killed the ostrich
blush.gif

Back