A really dumb Mega CD question...

Curtis

Established Member
Look, I know how this sounds but...

Is there anything you have to do to get the Mega CD to boot a game. I have just received mine and I can't seem to get it to work. I have a model 2 Mega Drive + model 2 MCD using a model 1 megadrive power adapter for the CD. Upon turning the megadrive on I am greeted by the usual blank screen (as if there is no cartridge) and the MCD does absolutely nothing...

I was just wondering if there was anything that I needed to do to get 'er started?

Well, in response to what you say is a stupid question, here may be a stupid answer: You only said you are using a power suply on your cd system, you need to have both systems, despite them being linked, plugged into a power outlet with their own power supplies.

No, that's not the problem - both systems are plugged in - both plug packs work fine. Anyone else...?

did you use a genesis 1 power supply? the genny 2 PSU won't work.

clean the contacts of the genny side connector, the scd won't power up if they aren't making full contact.

Hang on, theres no need to worry now - I saw the other similar thread in the Tech Help forum and I spotted the fuse. I used a multimeter to confirm that it was indeed open, and then (briefly) ran a bypass on it. The CD unit started without a hitch. Now all I need to know is can I replace it. I suppose I could haxor a normal fuse into place, but do they make similar replacements?

Anyways, thanks a lot for all your help - I would have never realised that that component was the fuse...

Cheers! :)

remove it and take it to an electronics shop.. ask them if they got those. if not, use a "normal" replacement with the same values.

Heh - the morons at my local electronics shop wouldn't know a fuse from a power transformer. They'd just give me a box of resistors and ask me if that's what I was looking for... :biggrin:

I see that RS Components has similar fuses, but you have to buy 10 - I'm just checking Farnell now...

Quote: from Curtis on 3:31 pm on Nov. 21, 2001

Heh - the morons at my local electronics shop wouldn't know a fuse from a power transformer. They'd just give me a box of resistors and ask me if that's what I was looking for... :biggrin:

That's a real worry. Is it a 'local' electronics shop or a chain store?

Do you know what size and ampage the fuse is? I might have one for you.

Actually it's Dick Smith Electronics - the only decent place around here is Jaycar, but that's a bit out of the way.

Don't worry about the fuse tho', I've go it all hooked up and working now. For the record it uses a 2 1/2 amp sub miniature fuse, called a picofuse, and you can only get through RS/Farnell. I used a 3 amp (close enough until I get the proper value) normal glass type fuse that's attached to a little fuse holder and soldered onto the PCB.

actually farnell do some fuses that are similar in shape to capacators, ive got some of those to use in mine, as they should fit nicely and work fine (we use them at work)

i think they are called wickman fuses

Quote: from Curtis on 9:47 pm on Nov. 21, 2001

Actually it's Dick Smith Electronics - the only decent place around here is Jaycar, but that's a bit out of the way.

Well, what can you say about an electronics store owned and run by Big W?

Back