A VGA Box Inside of A Dreamcast

Does anyone have instructions on how to do this mod?

marvin1.jpg

marvin2.jpg

marvin3.jpg

looks like you can't link to those images.

anyway, how did you find this?

the original person didn't give any instructions?

gotcha

maybe our resident electrical geniuses can help us out...

you might also want to try emailing the guy too...

I already emailed the guy. Someone on the DCEmluation Board said he wont respond. Someone posted this. I can't make heads or tails of this.

It's really quite simple. You basically need to build that inside the dreamcast and have the vga port installed. The long strip on the left is the DC video port, the thing in the top right is the vga port and all the stuff in between are connections and components.

Lik was said it is very easy and there are posts in the hardware modification section of the dcemu boards.All you need to do is wire up the r,g,b wires of the dreamcast to the r,g,b wires of the vga connector and wire the horizontal and vertical sync wires to the vga connector points.Then you'll need to tie pin 6 to ground to select vga mode,I recommend wiring a switch to disable this so that you can use it in composite mode too,and so you can switch it on and off so that most games that don't work with vga mode will now work.There are more complex schematics out there that have protection circuits wired in so that the monitor and tv will never get an incorrect frequency but they are mostly unneccessary IMO,since the tv/monitor will usually just reject it if it can't handle it.You can do it if you want though,if you have expensive equipment I would recommend it just to be sure.Something that may be required if you find that the brightness is weak is too wire the r,g,b wires through 100uf capacitors.Also audio is pretty simple to get you can either just use you regular AV cable or you could hack on some audio ports onto the back of your dc,or maybe a single lineout port that you could wire your pc speakers too.You could also wire in a headphone amp in there with a headphone port for use with headphones which is what the official box does I believe.

Here's a link to the full schematic:

http://www.massystems.com/DC-VGA.html

Back