AApplications, Process & WinXP Task Manager

Hello

I’ve installed Winfax 9.0 PRO on a WinXp PC. What I don’t like is the fact that it will always load at startup and it will be placed in the applications & processes of windows task manager, as well as a controller icon next to the clock.

My question is how do I permanently disable an application or process and any other program running in the background, from loading every time WinXP starts up?

I removed the Winfax string from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, “run” folder in the registry, which should have been the one that runs the program, but it still loads in the Windows Task manager when ever I start the PC. I didn’t find any option in Winfax settings either.

I want to be able to start this program only when I send faxes, not running all the time in the background.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

You should check the same key in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hierarchy, as well as the "Startup" folder in the start menu. There are a couple other places it could be loading, but I can't recall them at the moment.

I use a program called Regcleaner. It lets me remove any program from the startup list. It also is very useful to use for removing invalid registry entries.

I used msconfig from start and computer management.

But what about the rest of the processes listed in the WinXp Task Manager? For example:

iexplorer.exe

NPROTECT.exe

These are not in the services list.

Where can I find all the processes in the Task manager? In case I wanted to permanently disable any of them?

Thanks.

iexplorer.exe

NPROTECT.exe

Iexplore is Internet Explorer, a usual part of XP.

Nprotect must be Norton Auto Protect, a virus scanner.

you could try looking through Winfax's menus and settings, to disable autostartup. you may have to try each "settings" button to find it, though.

as said before Startup Control Panel will find just about everything.

Back