About XBox.........

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
I am thinkin of buyin an xbox but I need to know how much it would cost to get one pre-modded. Also, how many HD's can u fit in it? What's the biggest one u can? How easy is it to play games off of the HD? If u have the games and r running them off of the HD, is it slower. Also, can u play online with games that run off the HD?

I know this is a lot of questions but if you know sum answers, then please respond. thanks.

Dude i dont' think you can fit more than 1 hard drive in it and i don't even think you can run games of the hard drive at all. I have one and have never heard of what you're trying to do here.

I have heard of what he is talking about, dude dont waste your time on it just yet, unless you own a nice fast dvd burner, and uncapped cable or fast dsl, its not worth it cause you can only fit 1 game on the hd at once (or 2 very small ones) and its not worth the money or time spent on it just yet, give it another year or so, when the systems dead and it will be really cheap to get modded. plus more games will be on the net for it by then.
wink.gif
right now you can get one premodded for about $399.99 which is crazy!! only 1 hd can fit in it. the biggest hd? who knows it aint worth it...can you play online with the games on the hd, from what I have heard , nope...needs the dvd for that. Is it slower running off the hd, nope its actually faster, anytime you run any game directly off the hd, its faster because there is no seek time (or very very little)...hope this helps you out.

I would recommend not modding it until later. Microsoft has changed the design of the chips and rumor is that future software will come with a way to disable their function.

woah... did any one else notice i'm the cupcake man now? Sweet.

@3rd man, i'm just wonderin' here but how many other xbox live beta testers are out there that you can play with right now? I dont mean at this moment but like how many are involved in the xbox live program?

To answer your questions about the # of hd's it can hold, and their size (and im not 100% sure on this, but i9ts what i've heard on mirc from several people), it can only hold one hd, and it can be up to 136gbs. If you do get an xbox with a mod, you might wana get a mod with an on/off switch, due to that software 3rdman was dtalking about, as well as the possibility of the online service being able to detect them.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Sep. 28 2002, 8:25 pm

woah... did any one else notice i'm the cupcake man now? Sweet.

@3rd man, i'm just wonderin' here but how many other xbox live beta testers are out there that you can play with right now? I dont mean at this moment but like how many are involved in the xbox live program?

About 10,000 right now...at least that is how many people were invited to participate. I think the real number right now is at 8,000.

Right, so none of you have heard of EvoX? The dashboard replacement that allows you to boot of the HD? No? Ah well
smile.gif
I'll just boot my N64 emulator off of the XBox HD on my own then
wink.gif
hehe

And I would reccoment The Matrix mod... it has a flash BIOS so you can switch to the original when needed
smile.gif

Oh, and if you don't get a switch mod, don't worry... the games will be cracked anyways... just buy it and download it too and you will have a nice pristine original and a backup
smile.gif

I've seen modded systems for $300

http://precisionmods.com/premods.htm

I don't know the details for your other questions cause I don't know much about the XBox

You don't have to have a very nice net connection to get games. I know some places on the net to buy games on discs for $1 for a CDR and/or $5 for a DVDR. I don't buy or sell them (heck I don't own an XBOX), but I know of places. Of course I don't encourage that kind of activity
sarcasm.gif

as racketboy already posted check out precisionmods.com for all your questions. ive ordered from them numerous times and they are very straight up and reliable. VERY easy to work with and they reply to any emails you send them. the only place i know of that emailed me saying when they got my system, when they modded it and when they sent it out (with tracking number). they're a great bunch.

Originally posted by FAKK2@Sep. 29 2002, 5:56 pm

its not worth the money or time spent on it just yet, give it another year or so, when the systems dead and it will be really cheap to get modded.

Yeah I'll probably get a modded XBOX much later on.

I'm usually one to buy systems when they're headed out.

I bought my Saturn in '99(?)

I bought my Dreamcast in 2001.

Things can change quickly (including pricing) and it's easier to wait it out and see how things turn out.

I just tell the little voice inside me ("mmmmmmm Panzer Dragoon Orta....mmmmmm") to be quiet for a while.

I still need to finish playing the other games i got first.

Originally posted by Hollywood Hasney@Sep. 29 2002, 11:54 am

Right, so none of you have heard of EvoX? The dashboard replacement that allows you to boot of the HD? No? Ah well
smile.gif
I'll just boot my N64 emulator off of the XBox HD on my own then
wink.gif
hehe

And I would reccoment The Matrix mod... it has a flash BIOS so you can switch to the original when needed
smile.gif

Oh, and if you don't get a switch mod, don't worry... the games will be cracked anyways... just buy it and download it too and you will have a nice pristine original and a backup
smile.gif

I'm goin with Hasney on this one...

Why spend so much additional money for a pre-modded console when you can do it yourself solder free!
biggrin.gif

Plus it's got many different capabilities for updates, I've ordered mine, and it should come in with what I hope to be 3 weeks, the only site that sells them is backordered like crazy
sad.gif

And besides storeing actual Xbox games on the hard drive, think about all the MAME, NES, SNES, GENESIS, and N64 roms you can put on there!
biggrin.gif

Zziggy, they have plug-in mods with XB? do u have to swap? Is it flashable(I would think so)? Can I flash the BIOS to be way cool, like blue flames n' shit? If so, then I will prob get one, then I can just flash the BIOS of the chip when new shit cums out......sweet......

Originally posted by BJammzz@Oct. 02 2002, 8:34 am

Zziggy, they have plug-in mods with XB? do u have to swap? Is it flashable(I would think so)? Can I flash the BIOS to be way cool, like blue flames n' shit? If so, then I will prob get one, then I can just flash the BIOS of the chip when new shit cums out......sweet......

Yeah, The Matrix chip is a screw in chip.... it can either be flashed:

1) With it's own programmer when not installed

2) Through the parralel port when installed

3) Off a CDRW

http://www.xbox-scene.com has a review
smile.gif

uhm, no. it can flashed with its programmer via printer port, period. you can't flash it while installed cause there is no flashing tool yet.

you can't use the linux bios or debug bios on it either.

and there's a list of several ways of destroying your xbox or the chip by now, if you don't do shit exactly right
tongue.gif

besides, easybuy2k (the exclusive distributor) isn't getting their shit handled, so expect a waiting time of 1-2 months on one.

Originally posted by Arakon@Oct. 02 2002, 9:45 am

you can't use the linux bios or debug bios on it either

I thought that they've recently released a smaller linux bios that would work with it. And as for screwing something up, I'd rather follow directions on making sure switches/plugins where right vs. me putting in a wired chip with my shitty soldering skills.
biggrin.gif

Here's the list of DO NOT DO's:

A few words of warning and general saftey tips:

-Do NOT use a cable and attach your programmer to the Xodus while it is installed in the system, it will fry the programmer! Always remove it.

-Always plug the mod into the programmer before plugging it into your pc, it could damage the programmer/mod.

-Also, when installing it in your system, make sure its in mode 1 (off/testing mode) otherwise you can potentialy fry your system.

And here is what I read from the site:

Since the Xodus is a 256k chip, you can only use “Retail” BIOSes, (EvoX, Xecuter, etc) and none of the larger BIOSes such as Debug or the old Linux bios.

Above is from www.xboxhacker.net

Back