Access LED for 32 pin Non-Model-1-Alike

I was thinking of adding an access LED to my Saturn, so I took it all apart only to find out that there was no spot for an LED on my mainboard :(. Then, as I was looking round the forums, I stumbled upon this topic which suggests that there was a way of adding one on a Saturn that did not have the LED slot on the mainboard. Looking at my Saturn I see the two spots on the CD drive PCB that he refers to. My question is this; does anyone know if this mod actually works? Or, more importantly I guess, can I damage my saturn by just testing this out?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I hope this post is in the right place, I think it is, but if not then sorry.

Does it work? I can't see why it wouldn't. Gamesx would hardly put it up on their site if it didn't...

Could you damage your Saturn by trying this? Depending on your skill level that varies from not at all to almost certainly. Only you can really judge that.

But i'm not actually trying to do the mod that is at gamesx. I'm refering to the "alternative" LED mod that that guy talks about in the forum post I showed before. Anyway, I tried it out just for the hell of it....and I couldn't get it to work. Thats most likely because my soldering skills are very poor, and my iron is pants, and I was using some pretty shoddy components that I stole from my school a while back :) Anyway, I was mainly asking to see if it was confirmed as working, so that if I did make a mistake I would know it was a mistake I made, rather than the fact that the mod doesn't work at all.

My apologies, I must have misread your post. :blush:

However, it sounds like this alternative LED mod is performing the exact same task, just on similar (but still different) hardware. The main problems that I can think you'd encounter are that the LED is installed 180 degrees out (it would only work one way around) or, as you say, that the overall soldering isn't quite up to scratch.

Well, i tried putting the LED in both ways, but it didn't work. I was, however, using a 470 ohm resistor, which is probably resisting too much, and my soldering was also very bad indeed. I will try again in a couple of weeks when I get back from my holidays and I can get some good gear. Heh, at least I didn't break anything anyway :)

make sure you are using an LED with the right amount of voltage, and posting pics could help us help you :)

Back