AMIGA CD 32

how much?

i dont think it;s worth it unless you have an obsession with it (in case you would already own one or even two) or if it was dirt cheap

The CD32 was a sucky system because all of its games consisted of Amiga ports. I'd rather play the originals on the Amiga 1200. It crashes less.

somewhere there's an alternate universe where amiga became the standard for home computers

80-90% amiga

10~% pc

the rest macintosh

Originally posted by PsychoAnt@Dec. 23 2002, 7:29 pm

The CD32 was a sucky system because all of its games consisted of Amiga ports. I'd rather play the originals on the Amiga 1200. It crashes less.

That's so shortsighted it hurts.
tongue.gif
The CD32 _is_ an Amiga, so the games weren't ported (unless it was from other platforms)... The concept behind the CD32 was to be a low-cost alternative to an Amiga 1200 designed just for playing games, but you COULD expand the console to a full A1200 with an expansion module called the SX-1 (if I rememeber correctly).

That's so shortsighted it hurts. The CD32 _is_ an Amiga, so the games weren't ported (unless it was from other platforms)... The concept behind the CD32 was to be a low-cost alternative to an Amiga 1200 designed just for playing games, but you COULD expand the console to a full A1200 with an expansion module called the SX-1 (if I rememeber correctly).

Yes thats true partly, i dont think commodore wanted it to be expanded into a A1200 even though the public wanted it, they did start to do one that sat underneath the CD32 but never got released due to Commodore US going belly up, i'm currently doing a cd32 list (and will restart my ngcd one!) that will give all details of exactly how many A500, A1200, CDTV ports it had with what cd32 extras were added and the CD32 exclusives - not too many of those, but even look at the jaguar that had ports of amiga games no one moaned at those even at £50 a game!

The CD32 had 3 add ons, SX-1 that stuck out the back, SXMK2 that could add a processor etc and SX32 that had a built in '030 50mhz processor and extra 8meg ram.

Don't forget the FMV unit, i've still got mine on the other side of the country at the minute but are quite hard to get hold of even when they came out.

Overall at the time it was an exciting console that could be expanded to play floppy games etc, still has the best start up screen on any console, sure most the games have outdated bar a few that still hold well, but the amiga was about playability.

Hi,

If collecting game consoles, then the CD32 is a must to have. There are many games available for it (if you know where to look) and the only time the CD32 has crashed for me is if a game dont like fastram. I have an SX-1 attached to the rear of the CD32, with a HD and fastram installed and some games just dont like the fastram. One game system i have yet to get my hands on is a Commodore CDTV, which pretty much was an Amiga 500 with cdrom and resembelled a Hifi cd player.

forget the cd32. if your so eager to play the games then get an a1200. any amiga with an aga chipset and a cdrom can play cd32 games. hell ive even booted litil divil on an A2000.

plus you can play all the floppy games without having to fuck around trying to boot them from a cdr

Back