Anime Fan Subs

Anybody know anything about anime fan subs, regarding copyright laws? I'm inclined to think that their illegal, regardless of the fact that fans subbed them, sorta like how a dj remix is still remix unless he pays royalties.

Subbing them for your own personal use is legal. Selling or distributing them on the internet is illegal unless expliciltly stated by the creator of the show.

The legal way to do it would be for groups to just release their sub files then you could watch it with a legally obtained video such as capturing it yourself
tongue.gif

Of course nonbody will do this because all the Japan fanboys want very badly translated (no, fansubs really are pretty bad translations most of the time, sorry to break it to everyone) 1337 4n1m3 5h1zN17 and j4x0r material.

It probably isn't even legal to release the sub files, since it's still a copy of the dialogue, but translation has a lot of special treatment in copyright law so I really don't know.

You can release a translation as long as proper credit is given to the original author and it's not sold as an original work. If think if you want to sell it as an original work you need to go through licensing crap. Except if the published work is over 80 years old.

For example if I wanted to retranslate Sanguo Yanyi and publish it, I could as the original author is 1600 years dead.

You can release a translation as long as proper credit is given to the original author and it's not sold as an original work.

Are you sure? I can't find any authoritative source that supports this.

Back