Another juicy problem for yall

okay, i burn games in bin/cue format and games work 100%, if there are iso/mp3 however i have tremodous problems with sound, i am doing the double swop, i am usign ez cd-pro 95', could it be in my wav converting? or something? what do you think

ok, lets say they sound funny, litter pops and scratches.....what should i do? what setings should i have them ripped into wavs at? winamp has options for the it says "44,100 Hz, 16 Bit, Stero, 172 KB/s", i could also select "48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stero, 188 KB/s" should i use that? what do you(people) use?

you HAVE to use 44 khz, 16 bit, stereo for it to work in the first place. if they pop and jump, either you are doing too much shit in the background while decoding, or your pc is too slow.

possible that i might be doing to much but i doubt it, and my PC is a home built 1.4 AMD w/ 256 DDR ram, so it should be fast enough......... i'll try some (more) different cdrs and see if they make a difference....... what do you use for your saturn games?

I use memorex CD-R's for my sega CD and Sega Saturn games. I wouldn't suggest using winamp to convert to MP3's to WAV's. I use MP32WAV, its EXTREAMLY easy to use and converts the files flawlessly.

why convert MP3->WAV anyway?

I use CDRWin4.0A for burning and it even takes the ABR/VBR-MP3s from LAME encoder!

another thing why audio can be out of sync is that some ripping programs add 2 seconds of silence at the begin of every track...

why convert MP3->WAV anyway?
Less strain on system resources when burning WAV than MP3, thus safer (i.e., less probablilty of failure). Another reason is so you can easier edit out the 2 seconds added by some ripping programs to fix out of sync problems. You may also want to edit the WAV files for other reasons (e.g., fix click and pops from bad ripping equipment).

to save system ressources while burning is a good point, but burning errors occur on my system only every 20th game, so that doesn't really affect me.

when i remove the two seconds or fix clicks i just open all mp3s w/ Wavelab and save them as wave after editing, so no need for converting them first either...

i just have to say 1 thing, every1 claims up and down that the speed you burn at and the kind of cd's you use will affect what you burn. i can vouch that they do not have any effect. i have used extremely cheap cd's for burning multi-session games like for dc (sorry for dc reference, but its a good example) and have it burn at 8x which is the fastest my burner can go, and have no problems with it at all. in my experience with all kinds of platforms, if it doesnt burn right and you swear you did everything right, than you either missed something really small, or the person ripping is a moron.

this may sound different than what most everyone else says, but its absolutely true. if your burner cant burn things correctly on a fast speed, than you need a better burner. mine isnt top of the line, but it does justice.

i am not for one minute saying this to brag, but i have burnt more than 300 game cd's spanning over 3 platforms, all at the highest speed my burner can go at without getting a buffer under-run (which is usually 8x, but sometimes 6x).

i just wanted to say this so that everyone out there knows that you can buy shitty cds and have a working game, but the things is, shitty cd's may have big problems about a year or so down the road, so far i have had no problem, but a few of my friends have.

when i remove the two seconds or fix clicks i just open all mp3s w/ Wavelab and save them as wave after editing, so no need for converting them first either...
That's still considered converting MP3 to WAV.

Besides, when you open MP3s with Wavelab (or any audio editor) for editing, did you know that the application converts them to WAVs or something uncompressed into your Temp folder (or perhaps in RAM or swap file) before you can do any edits?

burning speed has more of an effect on sega/,aga cd/3do and psx than other systems

as you state though, a good quality burner is the cure to most problems (plextors for example) also the better burners tend to have better software compatability/support.

i know someone with a 16x plextor (the same as i have) that burns psx games at 16x fine, yet my old 2x drive would only burn them at 1x (they burnt without errors, but just didnt work in the system) same applies to 3do, mega cd appears just to be slightly more picky media wise, whilst saturn will take just about any burn speed/media ive used on it

Quote: from Stregano on 9:20 am on Dec. 14, 2001

i have used extremely cheap cd's for burning multi-session games like for dc (sorry for dc reference, but its a good example) and have it burn at 8x which is the fastest my burner can go, and have no problems with it at all.

I know that the warning is only on the Dreamcast forum, but perhaps you should still keep that to yourself.

Besides, when you open MP3s with Wavelab (or any audio editor) for editing, did you know that the application converts them to WAVs or something uncompressed into your Temp folder (or perhaps in RAM or swap file) before you can do any edits?

sure the file is converted, but the editing program does that by itself, so there is no need for an extra decoding program or to waste that extra time just for decoding...

try using winamp and the diskwriter pluginm to make your wavs. then with some audio editor IF the wavs are not 44100/16bit resample the wavs

Actually, depending on your program, converting to 44k audio might not be necessary. I found that the Jurrasic Park ISO/MP3 found on Area 51's FTP actually has the MP3's encoded at 22K. I didn't realise this until I had started the burn, though. What was cool, was the fact that EZ CD Pro 95 automatically converted the files to 44.1k audio (which was a surprise considering the age of the program).

woohoo TJ & E !!!!!!!!!

tdance.gif
edance.gif
tdance.gif
edance.gif
tdance.gif
edance.gif

err...yeah...thats right kid.

I'm sure those nice men in their lovely white coats will be along shortly...

ok, just for cleaning up now:

you're completely right, but i think you still didn't get my point...

when i rip a game (or a cue/bin release) i usually open (convert) it w/ wavelab, edit it, save it as plain wave file.

after that i ENCODE IT BACK to mp3 with lame encoder to get a good sound/small file.

then i burn it and rar it at the same time, just for the sake of saving hd space and my time ...

yes, i convert it, but i also convert it back to mp3 :)

Back