Any thoughts on Hard Drive coolers?

Originally posted by racketboy+Jul 21, 2003 @ 03:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Jul 21, 2003 @ 03:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-HimuraD@Jul 21, 2003 @ 08:55 PM

yes, that makes a huge difference. lol, i have my divx box wide open at them moment with 3 drives in it, it's cool without the panel and is toasty with.

just think a thin 80mm fan with thermal tape holding it to the drive's metal plate.

heat won't make the tape come off? [/b][/quote]

not THERMAL tape =) scotch tape, yea.
 

racketboy

Established Member
Originally posted by HimuraD+Jul 21, 2003 @ 08:58 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HimuraD @ Jul 21, 2003 @ 08:58 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by racketboy@Jul 21, 2003 @ 03:57 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-HimuraD
@Jul 21, 2003 @ 08:55 PM

yes, that makes a huge difference. lol, i have my divx box wide open at them moment with 3 drives in it, it's cool without the panel and is toasty with.

just think a thin 80mm fan with thermal tape holding it to the drive's metal plate.


heat won't make the tape come off?

not THERMAL tape =) scotch tape, yea. [/b][/quote]

ahh.... missed the thermal part -- I skim too much
tongue.gif


would 1 be enough or should I get 2?

so the fans would be blowing cool air onto the HDs? or hot air off?
 
Originally posted by racketboy+Jul 21, 2003 @ 04:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Jul 21, 2003 @ 04:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by HimuraD@Jul 21, 2003 @ 08:58 PM

Originally posted by racketboy@Jul 21, 2003 @ 03:57 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-HimuraD
@Jul 21, 2003 @ 08:55 PM

yes, that makes a huge difference. lol, i have my divx box wide open at them moment with 3 drives in it, it's cool without the panel and is toasty with.

just think a thin 80mm fan with thermal tape holding it to the drive's metal plate.


heat won't make the tape come off?


not THERMAL tape =) scotch tape, yea.

ahh.... missed the thermal part -- I skim too much
tongue.gif


would 1 be enough or should I get 2?

so the fans would be blowing cool air onto the HDs? or hot air off? [/b][/quote]

one 80mm should be fine

if you have a hot glue gun, put down 4 beads to give it some lift off of the hdd and allow air to flow under the fan. that'll be a better soluytion then the thermal tape. but if you're gonna go ghetto, thermal tape is the way to go.
 

racketboy

Established Member
k might try that then.

I also have the floppy bay open

could I make any use of that?

I'm sealing off the front of the case though for the vents in the bottom
 

Scared0o0Rabbit

Established Member
theoretically you could suck air in through the place where the floppy was... however it wouldn't be much. Probably not worth doing that, if you did have vents on the front a good way to lower temperature might be to drop a fan in the front that sux air in.
 

racketboy

Established Member
Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Jul 21, 2003 @ 09:47 PM

theoretically you could suck air in through the place where the floppy was... however it wouldn't be much. Probably not worth doing that, if you did have vents on the front a good way to lower temperature might be to drop a fan in the front that sux air in.

well I'm sealing it off with auto putty before I give it a new paint job
 
since you don't have pets, and it's going on that shelf, i say pretty up the front, cause no one'll notice it without the case panel. =) like i said in aim.
 

racketboy

Established Member
Originally posted by HimuraD@Jul 21, 2003 @ 11:12 PM

since you don't have pets, and it's going on that shelf, i say pretty up the front, cause no one'll notice it without the case panel. =) like i said in aim.

well the case panel old on the front

even if it didn't it would look pretty ghetto still.

it's a small box in a pretty decent sized shelf.

I'll probably take the case off when I'm using it a lot and no people are over
smile.gif


The case comes off and on real easy at least

I would like to put some small vents on the top, but not the circle type most people sell.

I would want just some slits or a rectangle shaped vent.

Don't know how much of a possibility that would be though
sad.gif


BTW, thanks for all the help with this project guys.

I know its a junk computer, but this is good practive for me and it's still fun even if the hardware is ancient.
 
Originally posted by racketboy@Jul 21, 2003 @ 03:23 PM

what would be the difference between putting some case fans on it and one of these?

A case fan actually gets rid of the heat from the pc. That thing just blows it around in the case. It's like putting a fan in the middle of your oven and expecting it to cool anything down. Remember you want to REMOVE the heat and not just MOVE it around.

For that case I would suggest adding a fan in the back and sides. If you can at the top too. If possible at cut some slots or something at the front to provide an entry point for cool air. You don't want to just suck in the hot air your fan worked so hard to push out of the case.
 

racketboy

Established Member
Originally posted by Jurai@Jul 22, 2003 @ 03:54 AM

Imo they aren't worth it, get a decent case setup and your fine

like I said before, find me one that my mobo will fit in, that is a small desktop form factor, and isn't expensive, and I'll consider it
 

racketboy

Established Member
so...

if I stick the current case, we've come to a conclusion that I should put a case fan on top of the HD.

any ideas on putting more vents on the top of the case without it looking tacky?

I would like slots instead of round vents, but I don't know how to do that.

Although maybe a line of small circles would be cool????
 
Originally posted by racketboy@Jul 22, 2003 @ 10:09 AM

so...

if I stick the current case, we've come to a conclusion that I should put a case fan on top of the HD.

any ideas on putting more vents on the top of the case without it looking tacky?

I would like slots instead of round vents, but I don't know how to do that.

Although maybe a line of small circles would be cool????

some people dremel holes on the top of their case and put stylish fans with a 'radioactive' grill on top of them, sometimes they look neat, sometimes they look retarded.
 

racketboy

Established Member
Originally posted by fistedjustice+Jul 22, 2003 @ 03:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fistedjustice @ Jul 22, 2003 @ 03:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@Jul 22, 2003 @ 10:09 AM

so...

if I stick the current case, we've come to a conclusion that I should put a case fan on top of the HD.

any ideas on putting more vents on the top of the case without it looking tacky?

I would like slots instead of round vents, but I don't know how to do that.

Although maybe a line of small circles would be cool????

some people dremel holes on the top of their case and put stylish fans with a 'radioactive' grill on top of them, sometimes they look neat, sometimes they look retarded. [/b][/quote]

I know what you're talking about

considering this is a small case, I think those would go on the retarded side
 
Originally posted by racketboy+Jul 22, 2003 @ 10:17 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Jul 22, 2003 @ 10:17 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by fistedjustice@Jul 22, 2003 @ 03:16 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-racketboy
@Jul 22, 2003 @ 10:09 AM

so...

if I stick the current case, we've come to a conclusion that I should put a case fan on top of the HD.

any ideas on putting more vents on the top of the case without it looking tacky?

I would like slots instead of round vents, but I don't know how to do that.

Although maybe a line of small circles would be cool????


some people dremel holes on the top of their case and put stylish fans with a 'radioactive' grill on top of them, sometimes they look neat, sometimes they look retarded.

I know what you're talking about

considering this is a small case, I think those would go on the retarded side [/b][/quote]

you could put one on the side of the case, you could also get one of those pci slot fans
 

racketboy

Established Member
on the side of the case (with the case cover off even) there is a bunch of steel on the sides. (Check pics posted earlier to see what I mean).

also I think we also came to the conclusion that PCI fans generally suck.

but this thing caught my eye

anybody have opinions?
 
Top