Anybody like Jazz?

racketboy

Established Member
I've kinda dabbled into listening to some Jazz music but don't really know where to go from there. All I have right now is bascially Nora Jones and Dianna Krall.

So if anybody knows of some good artists to look into, lemme know.

Thanks

Hmm, well, I'm more into the classic and free jazz scene, and these are all pretty standard, but I recommend:

Dizzy Gillespie

John Coltrane

Bessie Smith

Ornette Coleman

Miles Davis

Lester Young

Nat King Cole

Sara Vaughn

Also, not totally jazz, but as far as newer stuff goes, Martin, Medeski & Wood are pretty

good, and I also recommend the Ninja Tune label in general for some jazzy type beats.

Ninja Tune is cool if you want hip hop beats with jazz or whatever, here are some artists I recommend from Ninja Tune:

Jaga Jazzist weird stuff, maybe you'll like it. There are mp3s you can download on the site.

Cinematic Orchestra You might like this more than Jaga Jazzist, I do. There are samples, but they post one song a day. "All THat You Give" is great, it just takes a while for the song to start.

Originally posted by it290@Feb 9, 2004 @ 07:33 AM

Hmm, well, I'm more into the classic and free jazz scene, and these are all pretty standard, but I recommend:

Dizzy Gillespie

John Coltrane

Bessie Smith

Ornette Coleman

Miles Davis

Lester Young

Nat King Cole

Sara Vaughn

Also, not totally jazz, but as far as newer stuff goes, Martin, Medeski & Wood are pretty

good, and I also recommend the Ninja Tune label in general for some jazzy type beats.

Any specific albums you recommend from these?

My library has a number of them, but it would save me a little trouble if I knew which ones were best.

Thanks to both of you, BTW, for the recommendations

sorry for bumping this old topic...

Ninja Tune is cool if you want hip hop beats with jazz or whatever, here are some artists I recommend from Ninja Tune:

are they in any way connected to The Herbaliser? They made some jazz song where there's some constant sampling of a slowed-down voice saying "Niiiiiiiiiiiinja" and stuff, now it suddenly makes sense...

Any specific albums you recommend from these?

My library has a number of them, but it would save me a little trouble if I knew which ones were best.

Thanks to both of you, BTW, for the recommendations

Whoa, I missed this post way back. Anyway, here are some specific albums I can think of:

Miles Davis - The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions, Four & More

John Coltrane - Blue Train, The Very Best of John Coltrane, The Atlantic Years

Ornette Coleman - Dancing In Your Head, Tone Dialing

Sara Vaughn - The Divine Sara Vaughn

Hmm, that's stuff I can think of that I have on tape/CD. I have quite a few others, but they're mostly 12" singles and 45's.

aye the cinematic orchestra are good.

red snapper are quite similar to the cinematic orchestra, but admittedly a *little* less jazz.

the bad plus are a really good "proper" contemporary jazz band... they do a sublime cover of aphex twin's "flim", and an interesting cover of blondie's "heart of glass" :)

Old jazz is great, but the new stuff is just musical masturbation

Nah, I hear some good new stuff occasionally, you just have to stay the hell away from those 'smooth jazz' type radio stations. I'm fortunate to have a really nice jazz radio station (KUVO) here in Denver, you should check out their webcast sometime.

Yeah I don't like that modern, "Smooth Jazz" stuff

But Norah Jones is great

I just picked up the "Blues" DVD box set from my library and will be checking it out soon. Hopefully I can learn about some good artists there

Originally posted by icefuzion@Jun 24, 2004 @ 09:08 PM

Try Cowboy Beebop OST 1. It is tight as hell.

:agree

That's the only Jazz album I've ever :unsure: bought. I'm usually not a big fan.

Originally posted by mountaindud@Jun 24, 2004 @ 10:09 PM

:agree

That's the only Jazz album I've ever :unsure: bought. I'm usually not a big fan.

I don't know many people who like it personaly, but I like the classic hot kind. I don't much care for the new wave elevator music as I call it myself.

Back