ANYBODY THAT'S GOOD WITH COMPUTERS!!!!

ok, I deleted the drive from the device manager and rebooted (this was a couple hours ago). CD-ROM drive still didn't work. and yes, my CD-ROM driver does get power. it's just that whenever I put a CD (Starcraft or my Sailor Moon episodes for example) the light comes on, and I can hear the laser move a little bit. but that's all. Also, when I boot the computer, the CD-ROM drive does activate (ie, light on the drive turns on) as if the computer detects it. any ideas? I don't think formatting the drive with Win98SE (which I'll probably do. anyone know of any good movie making software (like Windows Movie Maker that comes with ME and XP) will fix the problem. If I'm gonna install Win98SE, I'll probably have to disassemble the comp, get into the CD-ROM drives, and change my burner to the Secondary Master. My burner is the Primary Slave right now.

(Edited by Cloud121 at 7:09 pm on Dec. 9, 2001)

I was talking to my friend about it while walking home from school, and he said the problem is probably the laser. like it's caught or something, or there's something wrong with the sensor. He says he could probably take apart the drive, and then fix it. Now, here's a question for Arakon: you ever done this before? you think that someone's only experience with computer hardware is installing modems, video cards, CD-ROM drives, harddrives into computers can do it?

I know that question is for arakon, but I just wan''ted to give my views on it. I have had experiance in the hardware you mentioned, and have tried taking apart CD drives before. You should be warned, taking apart a CD drive is easy, but putting one back together can be a true lession in frustration, sort of like putting a N64 control back together.

what migh help (note the migt) is one of those cd cleaner discs (the cd's with brushes mounted into them)

else replace the drive if it still doesnt work (if its a plain cdrom it shouldnt cost too much)

Back