Anyone else having problems getting on here?

I'm having a lot of problems connecting to the website, and even when I do get connected, I usually can't get on the message boards, since the new move. Anyone else having problems connecting?

Yes. DNS updates can take a while to propagate. You can add this to your hosts file to get around it:

Code:
72.36.132.154  forums.segaxtreme.net

72.36.132.154  [url]www.segaxtreme.net[/url]

(strictly speaking, the space between the address and hostname is supposed to be a tab, although I doubt using spaces will break anything since many editors convert tabs to spaces internally anyway)

The hosts file is normally in <Windows directory>\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS on NT/2K/XP systems, and in /etc/hosts on Linux/BSD/Unixlike systems.

Note that simply pasting the IP address into your browser will not work, as the site relies on the HTTP 1.1 HOST header (i.e. your browser has to tell the server what it thinks the server's hostname is, this is what allows www.segaxtreme.net and forums.segaxtreme.net to access different pages on the same server).

That's correct, actually you should add download.segaxtreme.net with the same ip to enable downloads.

Yeah, kinda odd. Maybe you were accessing it when I was doing work on the server? Does it still load slow?

I added those entries to my host file, and I can now get onto the site, but like ScaredOoORabbit said it seems a little slow. Better than nothing though, thanks for the tip Ex.

Yeah...there have definately been some replication issues. At one stage nslookup was telling me there were about half a dozen IP addresses for the forum. Rejection of incorrect IP addresses/paths might cause slowness.

Moral of the story: reduce the TTL on your DNS records before you change them. 🙂

I can finally get to the boards again!!

I think this should be added to the news on the front page... I was able to get to the main site, just not the boards...

Back